Kingdom Hearts 1 Bad Quality
(05-08-2013, 04:31 PM)Toby Wrote: Nope. ''newer'' PS2 games look better when you use a component cable since they support progressive scan. Apparently, almost none of Square Enix's PS2 releases have progressive scan. Goddamn you Square, y u be a pain in the ass for modern TVs?

There is some confusion in your assumptions. The component cable gives you better signal (with less noise) but does nothing to change resolution.

As people were trying to tell you, older CRT monitors blur the image so the pixelation is less perceptible, that's how some filters works also.

Newer TV makes things worse for being better, I know it sounds odd but that's because they are high resolution and so show low resolution source like they are, pixelated. To make things worse, TVs are normally too big for their actual resolution what translates having big pixels also.

As it is, since the native resolution is low, PCSX2 gives the option to upscale it, what is interpolating points so to generate a much greater resolution image... it does not makes the texture "higher resolution" in the sense of more detailed, of course, but makes image looking a lot better.

PS: About progressive scan, it means nothing if the source is interlaced (actually forces usage of a deinterlace method, be it on adapter or the receptor can do it), that's how PS2 is. Some few games allow using progressive scan, just that is not the common case.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

yes "newer" Games with progressive mode look better, but that's only 480p, thats still only 640x480. The resolution on the PS2 is just terrible, there is no way around that. The ps2 also has AAx1, which is near on useless, but it helps..

Edit: and you can have a warning for Flaming another user via PM, we don't appreciate that kind of attitude here, especially when people are only trying to help you. You'll get nowhere pretending that everybody should know exactly what you want to know without explaining yourself properly, but insulting them for getting it wrong is completely uncalled for.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-08-2013, 04:43 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: There is some confusion in your assumptions. The component cable gives you better signal (with less noise) but does nothing to change resolution.

As people were trying to tell you, older CRT monitors blur the image so the pixelation is less perceptible, that's how some filters works also.

Newer TV makes things worse for being better, I know it sounds odd but that's because they are high resolution and so show low resolution source like they are, pixelated. To make things worse, TVs are normally too big for their actual resolution what translates having big pixels also.

As it is, since the native resolution is low, PCSX2 gives the option to upscale it, what is interpolating points so to generate a much greater resolution image... it does not makes the texture "higher resolution" in the sense of more detailed, of course, but makes image looking a lot better.

PS: About progressive scan, it means nothing if the source is interlaced (actually forces usage of a deinterlace method, be it on adapter or the receptor can do it), that's how PS2 is. Some few games allow using progressive scan, just that is not the common case.
There is no confusion in my assumptions. I said exactly what it does, it makes it look better, which is sort of what you also said. Ugh, it IS a kind of a pain in the ass that it looks sooooo pixelated..
(05-08-2013, 04:50 PM)refraction Wrote: yes "newer" Games with progressive mode look better, but that's only 480p, thats still only 640x480. The resolution on the PS2 is just terrible, there is no way around that. The ps2 also has AAx1, which is near on useless, but it helps..
480i is too ***** for my tastes ;_;
Processor: AMD A8-3800 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~ 2.4 GHz
RAM: 4096MB = 4.1 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Then playing games on the PS2 is not for you ;p Luckily there's an awesome emulator which allows you to use custom resolutions which can far exceed 1080p.

(05-08-2013, 05:40 PM)refraction Wrote: Then playing games on the PS2 is not for you ;p Luckily there's an awesome emulator which allows you to use custom resolutions which can far exceed 1080p.

Where can I find a PS2 emulator? Smile
(05-08-2013, 05:58 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Where can I find a PS2 emulator? Smile

www.piratecopyofafreeprogram.com! Where else??!

Site not opening an error occured Tongue2
(05-08-2013, 06:18 PM)Preet Wrote: Site not opening an error occured Tongue2

you just killed my hopes Sad

Smile

well, let me quit hijacking the thread with infamous jokes.
Hehe !!
(05-08-2013, 05:40 PM)refraction Wrote: Then playing games on the PS2 is not for you ;p Luckily there's an awesome emulator which allows you to use custom resolutions which can far exceed 1080p.
Nah.. I guess I could just play on an older TV..
Okay nevermind that doesn't work out.
Processor: AMD A8-3800 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~ 2.4 GHz
RAM: 4096MB = 4.1 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti