Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 video issues
Hello everyone,
I just recently started playing Kingdom Hearts 2 on PCSX2 and it runs great. However, there are two things that are bugging me a bit, and I was hoping someone on these forums could help me out.

-In both KH1 and KH2, the cut scenes use a blur effect that I can't get to render properly. I was okay with this in KH1 because it was barely used, but the blur is in almost every cut scene in KH2. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/o8UmmCP.jpg

-I can't get any MSAA to work at all in KH2 (I never tried in KH1). It doesn't decrease framerate, but (I think) it does something with the lighting and makes the ground look awful, whether it's 2x or 16x. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/jflKtIy.jpg

I'm using GSdx on DX11 Hardware Mode, and I have no speedhacks on. Here are my GSdx settings: http://i.imgur.com/bytXgsv.png
The only HW hack I have on is Half-pixel offset, but turning it off didn't do anything.

My PC specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Sponsored links

I dunno what's going on in your first issue but MSAA is not compatible with KH. I know because it's what I play the most. It casts a weird shadow down on the floor near characters and it does affect the performance greatly when you increase it a lot. I start to feel it around 16x.

Increasing resolution works better overall than MSAA anyway, for increasing picture quality. Try raising that until you experience a slowdown. I can use it as 6x but that's just because of my specs.
Start with 2 or 3x and try to see if you increase it past that to see if the FPS is still 60 (US/NTSC Games) or 50 (PAL/European Games)
(02-27-2013, 02:58 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: Start with 2 or 3x and try to see if you increase it past that to see if the FPS is still 60 (US/NTSC Games) or 50 (PAL/European Games)

Which is exactly what I meant, worded differently.
Sometimes people needs easier way to be explained, not to be a ***** here, just saying Smile
What brings the topic that post processing is not part of the emulation itself and not knowing a priori what a game will do does not help making it easier.

So, the rule of thumb is: If a feature worsens the experience, don't use it. All those "pluses" are a bonus, including the upscale, they may be wonderful but like speedhacks they may not work as expected for determined game as do for another game.

Accuracy is what eventually will correct the issues for almost all games and accuracy may imply performance hit sometimes. The emulation of PS2 is entering that phase where the hardware is becoming powerful enough to allow focusing in compatibility and accuracy without losing performance much. Someday the emulating machine will be powerful enough that performance will not be a problem anymore, then and only then the devs can really dive deeper in getting accuracy without worries.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(02-27-2013, 05:55 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: So, the rule of thumb is: If a feature worsens the experience, don't use it. All those "pluses" are a bonus, including the upscale, they may be wonderful but like speedhacks they may not work as expected for determined game as do for another game.
None of my settings have caused the bad blurring. Using completely native PS2 settings still gave me the bad blur. But as it seems, there isn't a fix for the blur, so I'll just deal with it.