Kingdom Hearts 2
Can anyone tell me what I need to get so my brother can help me out with it?
Whats the best mobo, proc and ram which cost WAY less than a new average PC, but can still run PCSX2 90-100% ?

Sponsored links

(01-23-2010, 12:29 AM)GTarablus Wrote: Can anyone tell me what I need to get so my brother can help me out with it?
Whats the best mobo, proc and ram which cost WAY less than a new average PC, but can still run PCSX2 90-100% ?

you can choose neither ASUS or MSI mobo...
*p45 class for C2D
*p55 class for i7,i5,i3

for proc neither C2D w/ model name E8xxx or i5 or i3 proc.

for ram a minimun of 2GB
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(01-23-2010, 12:29 AM)GTarablus Wrote: Can anyone tell me what I need to get so my brother can help me out with it?

cheapest and fastest way is to buy a ~2,8 GHz C2D (like e7400, goes for about $100) and overclock it to 3,2-3,5 GHz (with a good mobo and cooling it can hit 4,0+ GHz easily). of course you could also look for older models, like e6600 (2,4 GHz), they're cheaper and overclock easily too, but they're harder to get by, as they're no longer produced.

Mobo is a matter of preference, if you want good overclocking capabilities (4.0+ GHz) go with something good, like the Asus P5Q Pro (about $100), otherwise just find something stable (cheaper P5Qs come to mind, about $60). I guess anything can hit 3,2 GHz with e7400 and 3,2 GHz is mighty fine for pcsx2. still, with 3,2 GHz, some games won't run full speed. KH2 will run fine though.

RAM... just get the cheapest 800 or 1066 MHz ones, it's not that important. Just don't go below 2 GB.

tallbender, "neither" means "not one or the other". you meant "either". ;)
Split your lungs with blood and thunder when you see the white whale.
my specs can run KH2 at 60fps constant. if that's all your going after, my Pc was cheap as dust a year ago, it's even cheaper now. (in my profile)
(01-23-2010, 12:51 AM)Saiki Wrote: my specs can run KH2 at 60fps constant. if that's all your going after, my Pc was cheap as dust a year ago, it's even cheaper now. (in my profile)

Unfortunately i'm not interested in 2nd hand if thats what you where trying to say... Im kinda of a noob with PC's (PSP, PS3 and Football master) so i currently have 3.0 GB of ram, which are physically based on what, my Mobo, Proc or just separate?
(01-23-2010, 12:51 AM)Saiki Wrote: my specs can run KH2 at 60fps constant. if that's all your going after, my Pc was cheap as dust a year ago, it's even cheaper now. (in my profile)

yeah, but it still won't hit constant 60s without speedhacks. and even with those you must dip into 50s for a split second or so with some transitions and/or scenes. I know I do (e7400 @ stock). it's barely noticeable if you don't know the music by heart (tempo drops a bit for that split second), but it's there.

yes, it's playable, but suppose you want to play FFXII. what's the point of upgrading if you can only comfortably play a few games like KH, FFX or Disgaea? in FFX it's even worse during many scenes later on. I guess, if you're on a really tight budget and pcsx2 is really only for KH, something like e2200 will be fine, but if you're upgrading for something more than that, I'd suggest 2,4+ GHz (and overclocking capabilities), since the price difference is negligible.

GTarablus, RAM is separate from mobo/proc, but you probably have DDR1 and C2Ds use DDR2. DDR1 module won't fit in a DDR2 mobo. there is a chance you have DDR2 memory (there were some P4 motherboards with DDR2 slots), so you have to check that beforehand. hovewer, if your DDR2 is very slow it might not handle overclocking in a new mobo.
My CPU is my Bro's old one which he got in 2006, so can i know the DDR1/2 by date?
And will a Phenom 2 proc work well?
You might even consider DDR3 considering how expensive DDR2 has gotten lately and the fact that DDR3 prices are pretty comparable to DDR2 now.

Is your low-end pc stronger than mine? and if not so what are your configs?
(01-23-2010, 01:16 AM)nasageek Wrote: You might even consider DDR3 considering how expensive DDR2 has gotten lately and the fact that DDR3 prices are pretty comparable to DDR2 now.

haven't thought of that. and P5Qs seem to support DDR3, so it's a win-win. ;)

GTarablus, check his profile. he has an e2200, it's 2,2 GHz, no longer produced. it's way better than your P4, still, it's not that good for pcsx2. KH has one of the lowest requirements, so it'll run fine, but many, many other games won't.

also, no, you can't know what RAM modules you have by date, you have to open the case and check. there should be a sticker on the modules, and if there isn't - check a photo of a DDR1 and a DDR2 module on the internet and compare the bottom notch.

Phenoms will be good, but only if you manage to get 3,2+ GHz, because they're considerably weaker than C2Ds when compared clock for clock and you only need two cores anyway. also, pcsx2 devs recommend Intel processors for a good reason.