Kingdom Hearts using Keyboard?
(02-07-2013, 02:41 PM)Finzy Wrote: I play all emulators on keyboard only without probs. In fact I just beat Kingdom Hearts 2 with a keyboard on standard mode. Here's the setup I use for all games in general:

Left analog stick - W/A/S/D
Square - Numpad 4
Triangle - Numpad 8
Circle - Numpad 6
Cross - Numpad 5
Right analog stick Up/Down - Z/X
Right analog stick Left/Right - Numpad 1 / Numpad 2
R1 - Numpad 7
L1 - Numpad 9
R2 - E
L2 - F
R3 - R
L3 - G
Start - .
Select - ,
Directional buttons - 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (Up, down, left, right)

Alternative setups that allow for more control (I use this for Jpcsp Dissidia 012 and other more fast paced games if you need to navigate menus on directional buttons or need more camera control for whatever):

Directional buttons OR Right analog stick - J / I / L / K (Left, up, right, down)
Shoulder buttons (R1 etc) - keys in near vicinity
Action buttons - same as above or keys in near vicinity
Left analog stick - same as above

Hope that helps a bit. Personally I don't see an immediate need for a controller to play games. You just have to "emulate" how a PS2 pad would look like on a keyboard, and once you get to that mindset and get used to the keys you've set, it's no trouble at all. Main point is that you need two locations for your hands just like on a pad.

Personally that seems really awkward to me, this coming from a PC gamer. The WASD and NumPad 4568 configuration looks comfortable but the rest doesn't.

(02-07-2013, 12:45 PM)devina40 Wrote: Why were you so worked up over that?

I still stand by my view, but if you really want a poor man's solution, get Xpadder.

Sorry, I'm just allergic to ignorant morons. Carry on folks...
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.

Sponsored links

I just dunno what Livy said that made you react like that, I mean, she does kind of have a point. Regardless, no need to slander anyone here...

I find it extremely difficult to use a keyboard for gaming nowdays, and I'm sick of people not knowing that you can use gamepads on PCs. This isn't the 90s anymore.
I'm a diehard PC gamer myself and I haven't used a gamepad since the PS2/PSP era, so it's keyboard for me. Tongue After I got used to the keys above I haven't really noticed that I'd be playing any worse than before, on the contrary I've been finding games easier on an emulator than when I originally played them on the PS2.

Tyestor Wrote:The WASD and NumPad 4568 configuration looks comfortable but the rest doesn't.

Yeah, it's not perfect, it's impossible to align the buttons exactly as they would be on the PS2, but it's the best compromise I've found. The shoulder buttons in my setup are right next to the action keys so they are easy to press (and inverted for convenience), eg. pressing R1 to lock on to targets is no problem, and it's easy to access R2/L2 too with E and F that are right next to WASD. For casting spells in Kingdom Hearts I can just tap 1 and 2 to go up and down the selection (again above WASD for convenience) and there are the shortcut commands too of course.
(02-07-2013, 05:08 PM)devina40 Wrote: I just dunno what Livy said that made you react like that, I mean, she does kind of have a point. Regardless, no need to slander anyone here...

I find it extremely difficult to use a keyboard for gaming nowdays, and I'm sick of people not knowing that you can use gamepads on PCs. This isn't the 90s anymore.

It's not slander if it's true. I'll respond to her idiotic post properly then.

(02-07-2013, 04:27 AM)Livy Wrote: So, why do you play a console game?

PC is a general purpose machine. The keyboard is designed for typing, not gaming. The gamepad, on the other had, is design for gaming in the first place.

A mouse and keyboard is used as much as a gamepad for gaming. A PC is used as much as a console for gaming. Your idiotic post assumes that the only thing people do is go on facebook and look at funny pictures of cats on a PC when indeed that is far from true.

Why play a console game? Why not? What makes you think being a PC gamer and preferring mouse and keyboard means we are unable to play console games? There are many games on console that do not make it to PC. Likewise, there are many games on PC that do not (thankfully) make it to console. Fact: PCs do everything consoles do and more. The only game genre I would EVER consider using using a gamepad on would be racing games and 3rd person spectacle fighters (like God of War) and, of course PCSX2 (and any other console emulator for that matter).

Good luck playing any RTS or MOBA with a controller. FPS and TPS games? Rofl, don't make me laugh. The supreme control and precision of a mouse and keyboard for both those genres makes controllers a laughing stock in comparison. There's a reason why Valve pulled cross-platform games with CS:GO - PC players would absolutely destroy console gamers and they didn't want to deal with the rage.

Your assertion that PCs are only for web browsing and the keyboard is only for typing is frankly retarded and your logic disgusts me.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.
Yes, the precision of a mouse destroys a controller.

The problem is, you can't use a mouse on an emulated game the way you would use a mouse in a computer game.
(02-07-2013, 08:01 PM)Tyestor Wrote: It's not slander if it's true. I'll respond to her idiotic post properly then.

A mouse and keyboard is used as much as a gamepad for gaming. A PC is used as much as a console for gaming. Your idiotic post assumes that the only thing people do is go on facebook and look at funny pictures of cats on a PC when indeed that is far from true.

Why play a console game? Why not? What makes you think being a PC gamer and preferring mouse and keyboard means we are unable to play console games? There are many games on console that do not make it to PC. Likewise, there are many games on PC that do not (thankfully) make it to console. Fact: PCs do everything consoles do and more. The only game genre I would EVER consider using using a gamepad on would be racing games and 3rd person spectacle fighters (like God of War) and, of course PCSX2 (and any other console emulator for that matter).

Good luck playing any RTS or MOBA with a controller. FPS and TPS games? Rofl, don't make me laugh. The supreme control and precision of a mouse and keyboard for both those genres makes controllers a laughing stock in comparison. There's a reason why Valve pulled cross-platform games with CS:GO - PC players would absolutely destroy console gamers and they didn't want to deal with the rage.

Your assertion that PCs are only for web browsing and the keyboard is only for typing is frankly retarded and your logic disgusts me.

Do you not realize the problem? Quit with the attitude. Closedeyes
Chill down, and don't use use words like idiots, morons, retarded, etc. It's called basic respect and tolerance.
If everyone got ruffled up when they read something mildly offensive on the internet, they'd have a daily aneurysm.
These are video games: entertainment. No one murdered your first-born child. This was more-so the point I was trying to make.

General purpose doesn't have to mean "Facebook machine", it just means that PCs pretty much do everything, even gaming.
Keyboards evolved from typewriters, and it's true that their original intention was not for gaming, but for language.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they can't be used for gaming, but that's what they were originally for.

Some people just have different preferences.
If gamepads were so bad for FPS, then what's with the Call of Duty 360/PS3 epidemic?
I'm not really into shooters, but the ones I've played with a gamepad are just fine. (Except Operation Raccoon City which was overly sensitive as hell, and that was the fault of the developer.)

I'm not trying to argue. Keyboard + mouse are probably better for simulator games (The Sims), FPS (Medal of Honor), MMORPGs (World of Warcraft), while gamepads are better for everything else.
Each has their own strengths. I grew up with the PS1 DualShock, and it's my preference. I love analog sticks, triggers, rumble, and the overall simplicity. Its original design intention is video gaming.
With keyboards, I dislike how I have to remember each individual key. I also despise having to hold the shift key to run with the WASD keys. Just feels awkward.

A lot of things on a gamepad are universal. The left analog stick is for movement, the right stick is for camera, the A or X button is for actions, B or circle is for cancel, R1 or R2 are usually to ready your weapon, etc.
I love couch gaming and relaxing, and having a keyboard on my lap would ruin this feel.

I was extremely disappointed when Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't offer Xinput support. Most PC games should support gamepads and Xinput.
Gamepads work for FPSes, but it's far harder to aim then with a mouse.

With a mouse, you simply point at your target and click. With a gamepad, you really need to get used to the controls to get good at it. On any FPS, take a mouse user and a gamepad user of equal skill, and the mouse user will blow the other guy out of the water every time.
... so I just read this whole thing... and no one answered the poor guy's freaking question.

Is there a way to use the mouse as the camera??
I mean sure we could all use a game pad but I mean shouldn't LilyPad work with a mouse?
(02-11-2013, 11:33 PM)MilleniumPanda Wrote: ... so I just read this whole thing... and no one answered the poor guy's freaking question.

Is there a way to use the mouse as the camera??
I mean sure we could all use a game pad but I mean shouldn't LilyPad work with a mouse?

I mentioned Xpadder as a last-resort alternative earlier, which can map mouse movement.
Lilypad doesn't work with a mouse unfortunately, or atleast not that great. The game Dirge of Cereberus also supports native keyboard + mouse, but you need an alternative plugin for that and I forgot which one that was. Look for my thread where I asked help for DOC perhaps you can find it in there.