Kingdom Hearts using Keyboard?
Okay so I don't have a controller, and don't really have the money to buy a controller, unless someone could link me to a relatively cheap one that is compatible?
Anyways, I usually prefer to use a keyboard as I am a PC gamer. Either way I'm trying to set up controls for Kingdom Hearts, and I can't seem to find keys that I am comfortable with. Is there a way to make the camera angle change using my mouse? Does anyone have a keyboard set up for this game or something similar to this game that they feel works best?
I've been trying to figure it out but I'm a bit baffled by how to use my mouse to change the camera angle, or if I even can do that. I'd prefer to use my mouse than only my keyboard, seems like too many keys to press at once when it comes to this kind of game, haha.

Sponsored links

Just go get a controller (preferably wireless and supports Xinput).
Trying to play a PS2 game with a keyboard is like trying to eat rice with a pencil, or shoveling snow off your driveway with a spoon.
(02-07-2013, 02:39 AM)devina40 Wrote: Just go get a controller (preferably wireless and supports Xinput).
Trying to play a PS2 game with a keyboard is like trying to eat rice with a pencil, or shoveling snow off your driveway with a spoon.

And yet with just one more pencil, billions are managing this rice-eating stuff several times a day Wink
(02-07-2013, 02:59 AM)avih Wrote: And yet with just one more pencil, billions are managing this rice-eating stuff several times a day Wink

LOL
Technicaly speaking, you need alot of buttons to hit simmultaneously when you play that game and mash between them. PS2's controller has a total of 16 buttons to press plus 2 analog sticks. A keyboard is not capable of that kind of philosophy of gaming and a mouse wouldn't help either since you would dedicate a whole hand to it and most mouses (mice would be grammaticaly correct? no idea) have 2 buttons and a rotating wheel which is even more a worse/limmiting idea than playing fully on a keyboard with that hand. Even if you succeed memorizing the mapping a total of 32-ish buttons (I'm counting also 2 x 8 directions for each analog) I bet your fingers would be in pain in less than 10 minutes.
Quote:Anyways, I usually prefer to use a keyboard as I am a PC gamer.
So, why do you play a console game?

PC is a general purpose machine. The keyboard is designed for typing, not gaming. The gamepad, on the other had, is design for gaming in the first place.
Buy a DS3 or 360 controller, keyboards and mice aren't really suited for PS2 games that haven't been ported to PC.

(02-07-2013, 04:27 AM)Livy Wrote: So, why do you play a console game?

PC is a general purpose machine. The keyboard is designed for typing, not gaming. The gamepad, on the other had, is design for gaming in the first place.

Please leave your idiocy out of this thread. Infact, don't post this crap ever again. Yes I'm mad.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.
Honestly, unless you're playing a very simple PS2 game that's all menu driven battles or whatever (which kingdom hearts is NOT), there's NO WAY IN HELL you can play comfortably without a controller.

Games like kingdom hearts made FOR the PC generally have you using the mouse to look around. Now unless you write your own pcsx2 plugin to somehow support that (which would be a lot more work then to get the money to buy a PS3 controller), it's going to be hell to try to map a bunch of keys to move, and a bunch of keys to rotate the camera, and then figure out which keys are left to do things like attack. And good luck controlling your character in any competent way with that mess of keys you're going to map.

A quick google search turned this up:

http://www.tmart.com/PS3-Controllers/?cc...4AodDGMA5w

A 3rd party PS3 controller for 10 bucks. It probably sucks but it'll be better then trying to hack up a keyboard configuration.

I recommend buying a PS3 controller, NOT a PS2 controller. They're basically the same but the PS3 controller natively supports USB so no need to buy an adapter.

If you really can't get a controller, then I would recommend not playing anything on pcsx2, and playing a game made for the PC instead. Playing a PS2 game without a controller is more of a hassle then it is fun.
(02-07-2013, 10:59 AM)Tyestor Wrote: Buy a DS3 or 360 controller, keyboards and mice aren't really suited for PS2 games that haven't been ported to PC.

Please leave your idiocy out of this thread. Infact, don't post this crap ever again. Yes I'm mad.

Why were you so worked up over that?

I still stand by my view, but if you really want a poor man's solution, get Xpadder.
I play all emulators on keyboard only without probs. In fact I just beat Kingdom Hearts 2 with a keyboard on standard mode. Here's the setup I use for all games in general:

Left analog stick - W/A/S/D
Square - Numpad 4
Triangle - Numpad 8
Circle - Numpad 6
Cross - Numpad 5
Right analog stick Up/Down - Z/X
Right analog stick Left/Right - Numpad 1 / Numpad 2
R1 - Numpad 7
L1 - Numpad 9
R2 - E
L2 - F
R3 - R
L3 - G
Start - .
Select - ,
Directional buttons - 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 (Up, down, left, right)

Alternative setups that allow for more control (I use this for Jpcsp Dissidia 012 and other more fast paced games if you need to navigate menus on directional buttons or need more camera control for whatever):

Directional buttons OR Right analog stick - J / I / L / K (Left, up, right, down)
Shoulder buttons (R1 etc) - keys in near vicinity
Action buttons - same as above or keys in near vicinity
Left analog stick - same as above

Hope that helps a bit. Personally I don't see an immediate need for a controller to play games. You just have to "emulate" how a PS2 pad would look like on a keyboard, and once you get to that mindset and get used to the keys you've set, it's no trouble at all. Main point is that you need two locations for your hands just like on a pad.