Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L3 cache affecting pcsx2 performance?
I was wondering if the L3 cache affects pcsx2 performance. In other words, my current cpu has 2.3 Ghz per core and a 2MB L3 cache and I am trying to buy a faster processor namely the AMD Phenom II X4 840 (3.2 Ghz per core) which doesn't have an L3 cache. Would that matter for pcsx2 and while we are at it what do these caches (L1, L2, L3) do anyway? Would the increase in GHz offset the lack of an L3 cache? The reason I want to get this processor specifically is because it's the best 95W rated cpu (which will be compatible with my AMD 780G motherboard). I know that the black edition AMD cpus are better but if I were to get one of those (all rated at 125 W) would that burn my motherboard?
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU

Sponsored links

Cache size is generally something you can overlook with PCSX2.
Quote:Cache size is generally something you can overlook with PCSX2.
cache performance isn't however, and the existance of a 3rd l cache does benefit pcsx2 some.
(07-23-2011, 06:46 AM)Qaddafi Wrote: I know that the black edition AMD cpus are better but if I were to get one of those (all rated at 125 W) would that burn my motherboard?

The 555BE is 80W, 6MB L3, and PCSX2 doesn't get much of anything out of 3rd and 4th core. It would probably be the best choice if PCSX2 performance is one of your main concerns.
so does unlocking L3 cache ( and cores on AMD old CPUs ) would increase performance ?
The 3.2Ghz chip would be faster for PCSX2.
The level 3 cache would amount to a difference of maybe 5% speed at best.
After doing more extensive research it turns out that my motherboard CAN support 125W rated cpus even though my current cpu is rated at 95W. If I get a new processor, hopefully, then I would get the black edition one since it can be overclocked (not with my current motherboard but hopefully once I upgrade that in the future), which would then mean that I also have to buy DDR3 RAM. My only concern is that my PC fan may be too loud if I get the Phenom II 955 processor. What do you think?
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
I didn't find the stock fan to get very loud right off that bat.
It did get louder when the fan kicked in more (OC'd @ 4.0Ghz), but still pretty tolerable.
(07-23-2011, 07:08 PM)Rezard Wrote: I didn't find the stock fan to get very loud right off that bat.
It did get louder when the fan kicked in more (OC'd @ 4.0Ghz), but still pretty tolerable.

you are using " quiet and cool " feature Ohmy