Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop For Gaming PCSX2
Hi:

After browsing a lot of laptops and checking a lot notebookcheck.com I've come to think that this system is the best compromise between power and price (I don't care about stuff like battery life):

Sager NP8760 Custom Gaming Laptop
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
x2 ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)~
- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5870 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Extreme, 2.13-3.33GHz, (45nm, 8MB L3 cache)
- 17.3" FHD LED Backlit 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1080)

My only question is this

There is obviously a huge difference in price using the i7-940XM or the I7-620M (about 500 dollars) so my question is for games right now and emulator performance will I really notice that much difference?

Thanks for any answers
My Computer: Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 Ghz. XForce Ati Radeon 5870 with 1 Gb RAM. 6 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM.

Sponsored links

i7 laptops can heat-up that fast be sure you have the right laptop cooler and not runnung on batteries if you are running a high-demanding 3D games
e.g. MGS3,DBZBT3,SO3,VP2 and etc..

(09-11-2010, 12:25 PM)aarelovich Wrote: My only question is this

There is obviously a huge difference in price using the i7-940XM or the I7-620M (about 500 dollars) so my question is for games right now and emulator performance will I really notice that much difference?

Thanks for any answers

*I7-620M looks fine to me low TDP....and it's only 2 cores specially design for pcsx2
*i7-940XM too expensive!!! and high-TDP might drain batteries that fast.
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
That's kind of what I figure too.

What is TDP, I seem to see it everywhere but I kind find what it is?

Thanks
My Computer: Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 Ghz. XForce Ati Radeon 5870 with 1 Gb RAM. 6 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM.
TDP = Thermal Design Power : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

Anyways, the difference between 940xM and 620M is...

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43560
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43127

To sum it up... i7 940xM as the name states is an Extreme Edition CPU along w/ the x in the end which indicates "unlocked" CPU. This just allows more overclocking and tweaking options if you have a laptop motherboard that allows you to overclock in the first place (highly unlikely). Now the real difference... 4 physical cores instead of 2. This can make a huge difference for things that optimizes quad cores, but not so much for PCSX2. On to the launch date... 620M launched in Q1 of 2010 while 940xM launched in Q3 of 2010. The 940xM is manufactured using 45nm transistors while the 620M uses 32nm transistors. What does this mean? 32nm transistors are more prone to heat than 45nm ones (more likely to get damaged at high temperature). Judging from the thermal design power of 35W vs 55W, I would say the difference is not much (not anything notcieble). You'll probably get like 20-30min extra battery life on the 620M with the other specs staying the same but who would try to game on a Gaming laptop with a battery for longer than 2 hour anyway? The other thing that's worth noting is the cache of the two, 620M has 4MB and 940xM has 8MB. This just means the processor has to communicate with the RAMs less (more space to temporarily store data to be processed, etc). 940xM also supports DDR3 RAMs that run at 1333Mhz while the 620M just supports 1066Mhz DDR3 rams. It is also worth mentioning that 940xM has a bigger die-size, which could cause higher temps. However, the 620M has an integrated GPU chip within the CPU itself, which is something you don't really need.

tl;dr, if you can afford the 940xM why not get the 980x and a desktop? Laptops are really not made for gaming extensive tasks and when you're on the go your current laptop would do fine with normal PC games.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
1) thanks for alll of your work in the comparison. However what I wanted to know was that if all of that will really make a difference gaming. Are there many games that are optimized for 4 cores? and will PCSX" run faster. Will I notice a HUGE difference or a small difference? That's the kind of opinion I'm asking. But thanks for clarifying that anyways.

2) My current laptop does not support any games. My specs are for my current desktop. I won't be changing my desktop anytime soon since I bought this one only 3 years ago. The only thing that I've tried that does not work to my liking is actually pcsx2. But theres no mistery there: my processor is too slow. However any other game I've tried has worked perfectly.

3) I'm not from the US. Trying to buy a laptop like the one I'm describing would cost me double that what they are asking for that system. And the only option is Alienware (which only has 4 cores cpus which are mostly slow for pcsx2). My sister lives there and comes visit once a year and will come at the end of year so.....

I could buy a really expensive desktop but it would only be to run pcsx2 so.....

I know however that what you say is absolutely true Laptop are NOT GAMING computers. However you can pay for something reasobly close to that.

Rounding up: What I want your opinion on is simply: is there really that much difference in the all around performance in the two processor options that would justify the 500 dollar difference?

Thanks!
For pcsx2... your best bet is to simply look for the highest clocked processor you can find, whether it be dual or quad core... just know that PCSX2 WILL cause your laptop to heatup... There is absolutely no way around it, you won't find anything outside of hardcore burn-in software that will push your processor (and such, produce as much heat) as pcsx2.

[Image: 2748844.png]
I know it will "heat up" but will that be a problem, say, potentially damage de cpu?
It depends. Your best bet will simply be to monitor the temperature... a lot of factors come in to place there. Some manufacturers do better jobs designs ways to disperse heat than others and the environment you run the laptop in makes a difference. Using a cooling pad will probably be more than enough to counter it... but with a laptop I definitely recommend always keeping an eye on the temperatures because, yes, they can eventually destroy a laptop and much easier than a desktop.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Thaks for the info!

I appreciate it. Any thoughts on my original question?

(09-11-2010, 08:55 PM)aarelovich Wrote: 1) thanks for alll of your work in the comparison. However what I wanted to know was that if all of that will really make a difference gaming. Are there many games that are optimized for 4 cores? and will PCSX" run faster. Will I notice a HUGE difference or a small difference? That's the kind of opinion I'm asking. But thanks for clarifying that anyways.

2) My current laptop does not support any games. My specs are for my current desktop. I won't be changing my desktop anytime soon since I bought this one only 3 years ago. The only thing that I've tried that does not work to my liking is actually pcsx2. But theres no mistery there: my processor is too slow. However any other game I've tried has worked perfectly.

3) I'm not from the US. Trying to buy a laptop like the one I'm describing would cost me double that what they are asking for that system. And the only option is Alienware (which only has 4 cores cpus which are mostly slow for pcsx2). My sister lives there and comes visit once a year and will come at the end of year so.....

I could buy a really expensive desktop but it would only be to run pcsx2 so.....

I know however that what you say is absolutely true Laptop are NOT GAMING computers. However you can pay for something reasobly close to that.

Rounding up: What I want your opinion on is simply: is there really that much difference in the all around performance in the two processor options that would justify the 500 dollar difference?

Thanks!
1) As of right now, PCSX2 only uses 2 cores, however GSdx Software mode (not recommended unless you have an IGP), lets you render with more threads (so it sort of utilizes all your cores), but EE and VU emulation (the processors of the PS2), will only use 2 cores (which is what matters the most). So... no, it will not speed up PCSX2, but if you setup the 940xM's Turbo Mode, it'll clock 2 of the 4 cores up to 3.16Ghz (correct me if I'm wrong), which will give way better results than the 620M.

2) What I would suggest is getting a good cpu heatsink for that desktop and overclock the E6600 to 3.6-4.2Ghz. This can be done easily assuming you don't have a Branded PC(which means your motherboard locks all overclocking)

3) I wouldn't get Alienware, they're Dell and well.. their customer support sucks, everything is overpriced and... there are a lot of bad reviews about Alienware if you google around.

TL;DR: No, you will not see a HUGE difference in terms of performance, but an addition 5-10FPS can probably be obtained if 940xM runs Turbomode correctly.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24