Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenovo y460 laptop for PCSX2
I am considering purchasing a Lenovo y460 laptop and am wondering how well (or not) it will run the majority of ps2 games under PCSX2.

The Specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor @ 2.53GHz Turbo Boost to 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
500GB Harddrive

Is there any reason PCSX2 would not work with the HDMI out?

please do not tell me to get a desktop, I've already got one Tongue

Thanks,
Alec

Sponsored links

The one bright spot with Lenovo/IBM laptops; at least the one I have (an older T60 model with a 1.8ghz C2D) is that they allow you to disable the CPU's speedstep feature via the battery/power config tool. That mitigates one of the major drawbacks of using a laptop with PCSX2.

I'm not sure how well the turbo boost feature will work with PCSX2 still, but with Speedstep disabled you should have much better overall results than a lot of other laptop users. Just make sure you keep it well ventilated when in use -- ie use it on hard flat surfaces and not on something insulating like a pillow or blankets.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Thanks for the quick response,
If I were to run games at native resolution for the PS2 (640x400) would this laptop be able to run any of the following games at 60fps (or 50fps for PAL)?
God of War
God of War 2
Black
Darkwatch
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
God of War : You'll be lucky with 30
God of War 2: Same as above or even less
Black: No idea? If its similar to GoW, good luck
Darkwatch: No idea
Resident Evil 4: Possible with speed hacks
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater: 30fps if you're lucky
Need for Speed: Good luck, eitherway I suggest just buying the PC version of Nitro (you'll get better results playing that)
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
Based on my experience with a C2D 2.8Ghz, I'm sure RE4 will NP. I've gotten GoW to run around 60fps at it's lowest (with Speedhacks). MGS3 however, is most likely not going to reach 60fps during most gameplay. I can't say for sure on the other games.

This of course is assuming your Turbo is initiated and that 2.8Ghz is the 2 core boost. That GPU should be fine for native in most cases.
Thanks for the responses,
Rezard, just out of curiosity what kind of framerates do you get in most PCSX2 games with the Toshiba Satellite in your sig?

Also on the Lenovo Y460 where will the bottleneck be? with the Ati 5650 mobility? or the i5 460m?

Thanks again for answering these noobish questions, i'm sure that you guys probably get more of them than you'd like
Most likely the GPU if 2 of the CPU is getting Turbo-boosted to 2.8Ghz.
My Toshiba usually generates playable framerates at the least. I've gotten 50-60fps with most every compatible game I've tried, and sometimes even without speedhacks. My GPU rarely seems to be my bottleneck and can usually handle higher than native resolutions. While sometimes that's only a little higher, other times as much as 2048x2048 (while still maintaining 60fps).

I've had no problems playing - Castlevania: CoD, Dark Cloud, Devil May Cry, DOT hack: Infection, DBZ, Dynasty Warriors/Warriors Orochi, Final Fantasy, God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Max Payne, Onimusha (2 & Dawn of Dreams), Resident Evil 4, Wolfenstein, Romancing SaGa, Tales of the Abyss, Time Splitters, Way of the Samurai 2 and XIII.. If there's anything you're curious about that I haven't mentioned, feel free to ask. After all, there's a lot more I can play. Smile

The Lenova's bottleneck will be what is usually the bottleneck with PCSX2; the CPU. Most games only need so much GPU power for native resolution. Although you may encounter a few games or some particular parts/scenes in games that demand more from your GPU, the processor's clock rate almost always is what keeps you from fullspeed. I can say, that 5650 should out-perform my 230M. Basically, if the i5 runs at 2.8Ghz, you should expect the same, if not, better performance than what I get. Without Turbo Boost, the Lenova could possibly get lower FPS, even with a better GPU.

BTW - Sorry I missed it, but there's no reason PCSX2 wouldn't work with HDMI.
2.8Ghz with the new architecture is more than enough to run games at 60fps under native.
Yeah, more than enough for games (being more than one) at 60fps, but to say more than enough in general (for PCSX2) is a bit of an overstatement, even for the new architecture. 2.8Ghz is more like simply "enough" in most cases, as speedhacks will be necessary most times for playability, let alone maintaining fullspeed or 60fps.

Also, the clock & architecture of a processor have nothing to do with what resolution can be handled at 60fps.