Linux - Compile Guide and Support
0.9.7 is the developement release which lead to 0.9.8.

For the record, my GPU locked up when it was idle because the idle frequency was too small. I update the bios to change the idle frequency now it is fine. However I lost low-power stuff...

Sponsored links

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, What's your GPU, mine GT240, it can freeze my X when using KDE 3D Desktop effect or after i played game then i logout from KDE.
with Beta driver, my PC doesn't freeze anymore after playing Game, but i don't know about 3D Desktop effect, i'am not test it yet.
Mandriva Linux Free 2010.2 (32bit)
PCLinuxOS 2010.12 (32bit)
Athlon II X2 260 (@3,2Ghz)
4GB DDR2
Zotac Geforce GT240 1GB DDR3 (Nvidia Beta driver 270.30)
It is an AMD HD5770. This kind of issue is often related to the "quality" of fabrication of the chips (not a chip brand or whatever), some transistors are too slow (or too fast) somewhere. Drivers tend too change internal frequency/voltage (note temperature have also an impact) so they can make it work.
Thanks fot the reply, i got new knowledge now.
hmm, it's seem my card have low "quality" fabrication too, i read user feedback in New Egg, Zotac GT240 series have driver issue too.

AFAIK, Pcsx2 using Cg "things" from Nvidia, it's fine to run under AMD Radeon based card?

btw, i but this GT240 because it low power consumption stuff (arround 60watt max, good for HTPC), the highest performace in GT220 , GT230 and GT430 and,
VDPAU stuff ( i like watching anime with mplayer rather than playing game ).

4GB DDR2
Cg was create by nvidia but it runs also on amd gpu. The bad things is the freeness. Lots of windows application are compiled with Intel compiler but they still run fine on any amd cpu. (except when they added a check of cpu ID to disable optimization on amd cpu which is illegal). Anyway there is branch that can be compiled with GLSL instead of Cg.

One very stupid thing, there is lots of way to overclock the max clock/voltage, but nearly no easy way to tune the idle frequency or reduce some parameters (can be increased only). Fortunately for me we can hack then flash GPU bios/firware nowadays.
(04-24-2011, 06:16 PM)gregory Wrote: Cg was create by nvidia but it runs also on amd gpu. The bad things is the freeness. Lots of windows application are compiled with Intel compiler but they still run fine on any amd cpu. (except when they added a check of cpu ID to disable optimization on amd cpu which is illegal). Anyway there is branch that can be compiled with GLSL instead of Cg.

One very stupid thing, there is lots of way to overclock the max clock/voltage, but nearly no easy way to tune the idle frequency or reduce some parameters (can be increased only). Fortunately for me we can hack then flash GPU bios/firware nowadays.

Thanks for the reply.
So Cg can run in amd gpu, now, perhaps in the future i can try amd gpu.
hmmm, which is better? Cg or GLSL?

You right, My Motherboad dooes not have downvolt capability, my previsious Mother board (Winfast k7ncr) can be DownVolt.
4GB DDR2
I grabbed from svn today and when I run 'make' I get this below;

Code:
Scanning dependencies of target zzogl-0.3.0
[ 90%] Building CXX object plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/CMakeFiles/zzogl-0.3.0.dir/GifTransfer.cpp.o
In file included from /home/sar/Build/PCSX2/pcsx2_r4983/plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/Util.h:54:0,
                 from /home/sar/Build/PCSX2/pcsx2_r4983/plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/GS.h:26,
                 from /home/sar/Build/PCSX2/pcsx2_r4983/plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/GifTransfer.cpp:20:
/home/sar/Build/PCSX2/pcsx2_r4983/plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/ZZLog.h: In function 'const char* error_name(int)':
/home/sar/Build/PCSX2/pcsx2_r4983/plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/ZZLog.h:151:8: error: 'GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION' was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/CMakeFiles/zzogl-0.3.0.dir/GifTransfer.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/zzogl-pg/opengl/CMakeFiles/zzogl-0.3.0.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

THANKS

P.S. I got it, I updated glew from 1.5x to 1.7.0 and it compiled... Smile
Gregory, would it be possible to publish a single "sudo apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 ..." command for recent *buntu 32 and *buntu 64 dependencies?

e.g., the guide says "Recent Ubuntu/Debian support the installation of 32 bits library into your 64 bits OS (aka multi-arch). Unfortunately older version doesn't provide any reliable way to run PCSX2. In this case, the only sane solution is the installation of a 32 bits chroot environment, and run PCSX2 from that.

64 bits users please read pcsx2 status on 64 bits."

So do recent *buntu x64 need the chroot or not (and do I need to read the 64 status?)? I tried installing the long dependencies list for 32bit, and most of them installed, one or two I had to install dependencies manually (something related to portaudio IIRC), and still left with this which I couldn't fix:

Quote:The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev:i386 : Depends: gir1.2-gtk-2.0:i386 (= 2.24.17-0ubuntu2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev:i386 (>= 2.21.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-dev:i386 (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libatk1.0-dev:i386 (>= 1.29.2) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: debhelper:i386
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I'm using xubuntu 64 fully updated, which already have all the dependencies to compile Firefox, but I'm unable to make it compile PCSX2.

After I've installed dependencies as much as I could (probably wrong, but I couldn't find instructions on how to get it right), when I run . build.sh, the first error I get is (again, with fully updated xubuntu 13.04 x64):

Quote:CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:48 (message):
PCSX2 does not support a 64-bits environment and has no plan to support a 64-bits architecture in the future.
It would need a complete rewrite of the core emulator and a lot of time.

You can still run a 32-bits binary if you install all 32-bits libraries (runtime and dev).

Ubuntu users, please upgrade to 12.04.

And then it tries to build each plugin etc and each has tons of missing dependencies.

If one manages to write such guide for recent *buntu 32 +x64, the best way to make sure the guide actually works would be to install a fresh ubuntu into a VM (both 32 and 64), fully update them, then make a clean snapshot of each, then check that the instructions work "out of the box", and if they don't, update the instruction, reload the snapshot, and test again, until the instructions actually work out of the box...

I don't have stats, but I'm guessing *buntu 32/64 and fedora/RHEL would be a very big percentage of those which would try to install/build pcsx2, so at least for those, some instructions which "just work" could really help. And of course, update the wiki with contributed instructions for any other distro.
I need to clean those docs Tongue2

Cmake it is not an error but a warning. It must be fine.

Setup the ppa
https://launchpad.net/~gregory-hainaut/+...ficial.ppa

Then you will be able to do
Code:
apt-get build-dep pcsx2-unstable