Linux Mint 17 issue
I'm trying to install PCSX2 in Linux mint, but Synaptic said that it needed to remove cinnamon. Why does it need to remove my desktop environment? Should I let it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Are you using 64bit? Are you trying to use the Gregory PPA to install PCSX2?
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

First off, where exactly did you get the software from?

It doesn't look like you are using Gregory's PPA per the instructions, because if you are then you shouldn't have any "NOT AUTHENTICATED" packages.

Remove whatever you used to install it and add it using the instructions posted here https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Inst...ubuntu-ppa .

Also, do not let it remove cinnamon, that will mostly break your install. If it still tries to do that after you follow the instructions in the link, then please post more details.
To answer the question of "do I want to remove Cinnamon": NO! That would make your life very unpleasant.
i7 4930k @4.3, 4x4 GB RAM @2133 (15-15-15-27, quad channel), EVGA 570 @stock, Arch 64b.
I am trying to install pcsx2 in Mint 17.3 from Gregory's PPA, but when I run apt-get install pcsx2 I get:

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 pcsx2-unstable:i386 : Depends: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I then when I try apt-get install libsdl2-2.0.0:i386 I get:

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 : Depends: libwayland-egl1-mesa:i386 (>= 10.0.2) or
                               libwayland-egl1:i386
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I am not sure if wayland is going to break Cinnamon. I have multiarch installed. Could you please help me to install on x64 Mint 17.3 Cinnamon
There is a multiarch bug on your distribution. If I'm correct libwayland-egl1 isn't multiarch compatible, you can easily check it with
Quote:sudo apt-get install libwayland-egl1:i386 libwayland-egl1:amd64
sudo apt-get install libwayland-egl1-mesa:i386 libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64
You need to report it upstream and ask them to fix it. Potentially it just misses (best case) this meta data in the package
Quote:Multi-Arch: same

The others solution is to compile yourself PCSX2 with SDL1.2 support instead of SDL2. Only the latter requires EGL&wayland.
I'm also running Mint 17.3 and it gives me the libsdl2-2.0.0:i386 problem as well.
Someone post a solution somewhere on the forum Wink But please, ask upstream if they could improve it. (which I'm sure they could)
My experience with Mint 17.3 is that it really likes to remove Cinnamon and MDM. Especially if you use a PPA from Oibaf. I have a Radeon HD 6850 and Catalyst 15.9 sucks, so I just stuck with open source graphics. I would avoid Oibaf as his PPA is meant for Ubuntu 14.04.1 and not 14.04.3 like Mint 17.3 is built on. I've had to reinstall Mint 17.3 a few times because Oibaf PPA breaks something and it can't be removed. So I've just stuck with whatever Mint 17.3 came with and installed Kernel 4.4.

Why the Mint guys stick with Ubuntu and don't just dump it for Debian? And yes I know they have a Debian version of Mint but not as nice as their Ubuntu version.
(01-25-2016, 02:13 AM)dukenukemx Wrote: My experience with Mint 17.3 is that it really likes to remove Cinnamon and MDM.  Especially if you use a PPA from Oibaf.  I have a Radeon HD 6850 and Catalyst 15.9 sucks, so I just stuck with open source graphics.  I would avoid Oibaf as his PPA is meant for Ubuntu 14.04.1 and not 14.04.3 like Mint 17.3 is built on.  I've had to reinstall Mint 17.3 a few times because Oibaf PPA breaks something and it can't be removed.  So I've just stuck with whatever Mint 17.3 came with and installed Kernel 4.4.  

Why the Mint guys stick with Ubuntu and don't just dump it for Debian?  And yes I know they have a Debian version of Mint but not as nice as their Ubuntu version.

You should never use anything but Gregory's PPA.  Multiarch on Ubuntu-based distros will do that because of numerous incompatibilities with the 32 bit and 64 bit same lib coexisting for some reason.  It has been this way even back in 12.04 days. Arch based distro seems to get multiarch right.  Or you can make a virtual box with 32 bit Mint and compile pcsx2 there and transfer it back to 64 bit Mint.  It worked back in the day but I'm not sure of its effectiveness now.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti