Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux vs. Win and preferred setup?
I was wondering how much worse pcsx2 runs on a linux setup with Ubuntu 10.04 than a Win 7 setup on the same hardware? If you could estimate in percentage?

The thing is that I got a htpc running an AMD dualcore at 2.6Ghz (not OC) and a built in Nvidia 8200 on the motherboard with Ubuntu 10.04 installed. I thought it would be funny to have pcsx2 installed on that machine too but I guess that the emulator runs better on Win than Linux and surely alot better. Am I right?

For the hardware, I can surely OC the cpu to around 3Ghz. I suspect that the gpu, the built in Nvidia 8200, is a bit too slow for running pcsx2 without the games feeling slow. If i got to run it on a dualboot Win7 installation i got a spare ATi 3870x2 laying around from my latest upgrade of my main-pc. Would that, together with the OC cpu, give me noticeable better flow ingame?

//Benkaboi

Sponsored links

I think it should be around the same (if not faster), if you just compile your own Linux builds (since official linux build is ancient)
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
It will be WAY slower. No GSdx in Linux so you're stuck with ZZOgl which is quite slower on most games, not to mention less compatible too (except from a few games)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Okey, then I'll probably dualboot Windows 7 for the pcsx2.

For the graphic card. Will it give me a sgnificant speedboost to use my 3870x2 instead of the built in 8200? I guess Linux can ignore my 3870x2 when I boot linux for watching movies. Nvidia works better on linux when watching 1080p movies through xbmc.
Right... forgot about OpenGL... which not a lot of devs are working on.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
First of all, it game is normally supported (does not do really weird stuff, and almost all games are normal), than OS part of speed is nothing, and ZZogl and GSDX differences are few. In heavy graphic's conditions, windows drivers are usually outperformed OpenGL. For example, GOW performance in ZZogl are lover by 5-6 FPS per stable 45. It's acceptable.

p.S. Right now there are more dev's on ZZogl, than on GSDX.
I imagine the reported slowness in ZZogl is Windows only.
At least on my box the performance is abysmal Tongue2
(Windows / Nvidia)
My opinion, the issue is opengl on Windows which is normal it is based on Direct3D nothings we can do about that. Actually Win does not provide any opengl accelerations and rely only on drivers. I will not surprised if drivers made some conversion between Opengl and direct3D. Anyway a lots of computing power is spend into EE/VU recompiler.

Note if you use a 32 Bits ubuntu. Some packages are provided through PPA -> Official PPA
They are not suported, but
* more recent
* more gcc optimization enabled (if it does not crash Tongue)
* easy to install.
So, have this thread taken a turn. Is there a chanse that Linux can provide acceptable performance with OpenGL? Tongue

EDIT: Now I have overclocked the processor from 2600Mhz up to 3055Mhz hoping it will improve the performance when using pcsx2. Smile Gonna try to install pcsx2 into a virtual machine using the official ppa just to see if i will run into any problems installing it on linux(you often do) Tongue
Quote:I imagine the reported slowness in ZZogl is Windows only.
There are a bunch of games (around 30), that know to be slow on ZZogl. But for majority -- CPU speed is bottleneck.

Quote:So, have this thread taken a turn. Is there a chanse that Linux can provide acceptable performance with OpenGL?
It game-dependent. For Disgaea answer will be almost 100% yes, for MGS3 -- no.