Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Linux vs Windows
The pcsx2 is faster on Linux?

Sponsored links

No.
[i7-3630qm/gt650m-2G/Win-7] [i7-4500u/R.HD8850m/Win-8.1] [2010-MBA/OSX-10.9.x]. Scroll smoothly with SmoothWheel for Firefox.
IMO Windows will always be faster then linux in pretty much any game until graphics card makers stop with Windows-only DirectX and improve OpenGL.
depends on the game and developing plugins for each platform emulator
[Image: dragonimage_214191_161557_pixel.gif]
actually making an DX Plugin is easier and more useful and functional and the devs have been lucky to find the DX expert Gabest Smile

and Open GL is outdated and useless because it's rarely used ( only on multi OS applications ... )

and since DX is Microsoft trademark forget about implementing it anytime soon ....

but for non gamers Linux is the way to go ( at least for me but i am a BIG gamer Tongue )
Well, the OpenGL plugins for PCSX2 aren't that great, but OpenGL in general could be nearly as capable as DirectX if not equal. That is, if it were optimized.

I mean I could go to the Dolphin emulator and find graphical glitches under DirectX, but not under OpenGL and vice-versa. Actually would it be more appropriate to call it Direct3D? In any case for PCSX2, I go with Direct3D 10 Software rendering. I find many graphical glitches using its hardware rendering, but again as Rendelor pointed out, it depends on the game.
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA 9600 GT (x2 SLI)
RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
(07-07-2012, 04:08 AM)Spirrwell Wrote: Well, the OpenGL plugins for PCSX2 aren't that great, but OpenGL in general could be nearly as capable as DirectX if not equal. That is, if it were optimized.

I mean I could go to the Dolphin emulator and find graphical glitches under DirectX, but not under OpenGL and vice-versa. Actually would it be more appropriate to call it Direct3D? In any case for PCSX2, I go with Direct3D 10 Software rendering. I find many graphical glitches using its hardware rendering, but again as Rendelor pointed out, it depends on the game.

Hardware rendering cause glitches not because of DX but because GPUs aren't meant to be used in emulation directly specially GS chip emulation and coding something to do so will result in Bugs which mostly don't happen in SW mode

so you blame our Open GL coder not the codes it self ?

GL VS DX discussion have been everywhere and i don't want to start a one here Sad
(07-07-2012, 04:42 AM)abdo123 Wrote: Hardware rendering cause glitches not because of DX but because GPUs aren't meant to be used in emulation directly specially GS chip emulation and coding something to do so will result in Bugs which mostly don't happen in SW mode

so you blame our Open GL coder not the codes it self ?

GL VS DX discussion have been everywhere and i don't want to start a one here Sad

I don't blame the OpenGL coder, and I wasn't attempting to attack Direct3D with my issues with hardware rendering, as I have had similar problems with OpenGL as well.

PCSX2 seems like it was designed and optimized to work with Direct3D. I could just as easily write a program designed and optimized to work with OpenGL and come across problems trying to include Direct3D support afterwards.

I was simply saying that OpenGL could be nearly or just as efficient as Direct3D if optimized properly.
PCSX2 is not DX optimized any Plugin that can probably emulate GS chip can be used just because the best GS plugin is DX based that doesn't mean that PCSX2 is optimized to run using DX

emulating Recompiler and PS2 core components doesn't even care about ( or can use ) DX

it just that GSDX is better coded and more useful

DX is good at stuffs and GL is good at stuffs and both have their own personal flaws

but lets deal with it it's DX era now bye bye GL see you next time
(07-07-2012, 04:59 AM)abdo123 Wrote: PCSX2 is not DX optimized any Plugin that can probably emulate GS chip can be used just because the best GS plugin is DX based that doesn't mean that PCSX2 is optimized to run using DX

emulating Recompiler and PS2 core components doesn't even care about ( or can use ) DX

it just that GSDX is better coded and more useful

DX is good at stuffs and GL is good at stuffs and both have their own personal flaws

but lets deal with it it's DX era now bye bye GL see you next time

OpenGL is still widely used. As a matter of fact SDL 1.3 (renamed to SDL 2.0) now has built in hardware acceleration with OpenGL and it's technically not even a full build yet. It's can be run perfectly fine, but they still have stuff to do to it before they make an official release. Also IIRC, the new version of PCSX2 has SDL 1.2 or 1.3 for software rendering.

Either way I don't claim to have knowledge of the inner workings of the PS2 or how the emulator was made, but I do know that OpenGL is still kicking. I started with SDL and OpenGL, so I'm accustomed to it, and I prefer it for its massive portability. The only problems I've come across with OpenGL is when I used to have an ATI card with ATI's drivers after 10.5.

Anyway, I don't want an argument, I just support OpenGL just like you support DirectX.