Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logging packets off of pcsx2
Hey guys, recently I've been playing an online game via pcsx2. And I would like to try and start capturing, and filtering packets. When I normally do this for a pc game, I usually just get WPE Pro and attach it unto the process of the game. Unfortunately for pcsx2, it detects no packets being sent back and forth while I'm playing the game. I believe this is because the playstation is on a different IP address, and is on a "fake" network.

So does any have any tips for me to be able to log packets with this program? I'm able to log packets with other programs such as Wireshark, because Wireshark watches the network adapter and not the application, but Wireshark does not allow me to resend packets.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored links

I have no idea how packet sniffers work so bear with me, but would it be possible to attach the packet capturer to the network emulation plugin's .dll file?
(08-06-2009, 11:39 PM)nasageek Wrote: I have no idea how packet sniffers work so bear with me, but would it be possible to attach the packet capturer to the network emulation plugin's .dll file?

I thought this too, but was unable to facilitate a way to accomplish this.

I tried attaching a debugger (ollydbg) to the process, than selecting the gigadev9.dll module...and than tried to have WPE get packets off ollydbg, but it still picked up nothing.
Programs such as Wireshark should be able to do it. Even if PCSX2 does some trickery with the IP and whatnot it should still be visible as a local interface.

If not, a cheap and dirty way would be to get a PC with 2 networking jacks and put it in-between the PC running PCSX2 and router. Bridge the connections in whatever fashion suits your OS and away you go. It gets significantly harder if PCSX2 employs security such as SSL, but nothing that can't be surmounted.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
(08-07-2009, 02:01 AM)echosierra Wrote: Programs such as Wireshark should be able to do it. Even if PCSX2 does some trickery with the IP and whatnot it should still be visible as a local interface.

If not, a cheap and dirty way would be to get a PC with 2 networking jacks and put it in-between the PC running PCSX2 and router. Bridge the connections in whatever fashion suits your OS and away you go. It gets significantly harder if PCSX2 employs security such as SSL, but nothing that can't be surmounted.

Yea, I can log packets with Wireshark but it doesn't provide an easy way to resend them. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to program my own proxy, was trying to avoid this but it seems it can't be avoided.
(08-07-2009, 02:04 AM)GunGrave12 Wrote:
(08-07-2009, 02:01 AM)echosierra Wrote: Programs such as Wireshark should be able to do it. Even if PCSX2 does some trickery with the IP and whatnot it should still be visible as a local interface.

Yea, I can log packets with Wireshark but it doesn't provide an easy way to resend them. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to program my own proxy, was trying to avoid this but it seems it can't be avoided.

I should have read the OP closer, didn't see you mention Wireshark. Woops Tongue

Re-transmitting packets is tricky business, and normally avoided unless absolutely necessary. By default Wireshark is a passive network monitoring solution, you'd have to dig into the documentation to figure out if it's possible at all to re-send packets from it. I don't have much experience with trying to do this, all I've ever done has been passive.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do that requires re-sending packets?
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi