Looking for a Gamepad That Will Work with a Windows 10 Computer
I'm looking for a gamepad that will work with PCSX2 on  a Windows 10 64-bit computer. Can you please recommend one? I have tried looking online but most of the ones I have found have gotten mixed reviews. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

DS3/DS4

Xbox One/Xbox 360

Logitech F710
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Well, pretty much any controller that works on any other computer will work just the same on yours, Windows 10x64 doesn't really have any bearing as all mainstream controllers are pretty much cross compatible.

Nobbs listed probibly the most common, owning 4 of the 5 h listed I will list some pro and cons. I will only focus on features that are unique to the individual devices.

DS3
Pros:
+ The face buttons have variometers, giving additional axis of control over most other game pads as the 4 buttons not only return a true/false if they are pressed, but a analog value indicating how hard they are being pressed down. With the right software on a PC this can add additional usable controls.
+ Generally great battery life
Cons:
- For PC use absolutely 100% REQUIRES a 3rd party application to act as an intermediary.
- If wishing to use it BT, it requires a special BT driver for the dongle that will prohibit its use with other devices (aka mice or phones)
- In the hands it feels generally flimsy and "toyish"

DS4
Pros:
+ Has a trackpad making it perfect pair for PC use since it can be mapped to the mouse, making it perfect for using the PC from couch.
+ Light Bar adds an interesting form of feedback, most commonly used to determine the controllers battery level
+ Some games have native USB support
+ Can be used via BT with no special drivers and will work with any game that supports Direct Input without additional work.
+ Feels good in the hands and has a good solid "weight" to it
Cons:
- Relatively short battery life (9hrs approx)
- Not all games support Direct Input thus a third party tool will be needed (As the dev of InputMapper I am of course a bit partial to that lol)

360 Controller
Pros:
+ Works with pretty much every game, no fuss, no worries
+ Wireless versions have exceptional battery life, and batteries are easily changeable
+ Since games are built with primarily the 360 controller in mind, all the button prompts are related to the 360
Cons:
- Lackluster number of channels or features, no Accelerometers or gyro.

Xbox One Controller
Pros:
+ Its a MS product so it will be (eventually) a fully flawless part of windows
+ Has impulse triggers that are a cool feature (though MS has not yet implemented the API to make use of these so they do nothing on Windows)
+ Has Accelerometers and Gyros (though MS has not yet implemented the API to make use of these so they do nothing on Windows)
+ Also good battery life
Cons:
- Game support for the more advanced features of this controller are non-existent (so far)
- Has had a rocky launch and is still not on steady ground. Recent drivers especially for Win 10 have proved to be very buggy and even cause system crashes.

OUYA controller
Pros:
+ Has a trackpad so with proper software can add mouse control
Cons:
- Literally every button, stick and control surface feels like utter garbage. This is generally personal preference, but I dont recall anybody ever calling them "good".

As the developer I am obviously partial to the DS4, but I dont like the DS4 because I am the dev of IM, in fact I am the dev of IM and wrote the software because I love the DS4 so much. For me the inclusion of a trackpad on a controller that can be used on a PC is the most brilliant idea ever. Its just a matter of deciding if you can live with the in game button prompts that will not show the correct button names, shorter battery life, and the need to use a 3rd party tool (like IM) for many games.
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool
(04-13-2016, 08:52 PM)jhebbel Wrote: 360 Controller
Pros:
+ Works with pretty much every game, no fuss, no worries
+ Wireless versions have exceptional battery life, and batteries are easily changeable
+ Since games are built with primarily the 360 controller in mind, all the button prompts are related to the 360
Cons:
- Lackluster number of channels or features, no Accelerometers or gyro.
Something to definitely add to the cons:
- Terrible d-pad

The DS2 is a good controller for PC too, though you'll need to get a (cheap) PS2 to USB converter.
(04-13-2016, 09:35 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Something to definitely add to the cons:
- Terrible d-pad

The DS2 is a good controller for PC too, though you'll need to get a (cheap) PS2 to USB converter.

Ive never really thought it bad per-say, definitely do like the DS4 one better tho. I didn't venture too far into the ergonomics or feel and button stick movements because a lot of that is personal preference. Some people swear by the feel and control of the 360 controller, whereas I think the DS4 feels superior.

As for the DS2, I assume the adapter is DirectInput so you get the same cons as the DS3 but none of the pros. Never held one of those either, but may look into purchasing to see if it is compatible with IM 2.
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool
(04-13-2016, 10:03 PM)jhebbel Wrote: Ive never really thought it bad per-say, definitely do like the DS4 one better tho
It's fine for navigating a menu, but for games that rely on it like fighting games it's worse than bad. Basically any controller has a better d-pad than the 360. Otherwise it's a great controller.