Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a good processor
Hello, I'm currently using an E6600 and i understand that it is slow for pcsx2.

Specs
E6600 Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.40
GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3
4GB of RAM
Running Windows XP SP3 32-bit

I tried running some of my 2D PS2 games "mostly KOF games" and it runs nice ... specially KOF 2002 UM ... guess these games arent that demanding.

On the other hand i tried to play Hokuto No Ken (Fighting game for the PS2, Guilty Gear-ish graphics) it was really slow even with all of the speed hacks etc checked, i don't know why.

I also tried KOF MIRA (3D) and surprisingly it was running at the same speed as Hokuto No Ken..Still..Unplayable.

So i went and looked for a processor and a found an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz, guy kept saying this is the best i can get/can fit my PC i'm not sure (my mobo is an Intel DG965RY).

So i guess my question is what is the best processor that i can buy to play these games at full speed without having to change my mobo or anything else? is it true that the best i can get is an C2D 3.06GHz?

Thanks in advance : )

Sponsored links

this site http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/S...me=dg965ry
says u cant even get so good ..
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Then i should upgrade my motherboard i guess, what should i ask for when buying a new one, don't wanna buy really expensive stuff only good enough for these couple of games.

Thanks
Your board is fairly old and won't support many of the newer C2D CPUs; at least not officially. There is a chance that, with the latest BIOS, you could use some newer 45nm CPUs, but it's a gamble and you won't be able to do anything if it doesn't work. Basically, you're current CPU is just about as good as you can get which will definitely work on your board.

Overclocking on Intel boards are quite troublesome, since you have to use software to overclock them, and you need to know the specific clock generator on your board, and this has to be one of the compatible clock generators...
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
I see, Could you perhaps suggest some boards that i could buy that supports those newer C2D i'm not sure but what i should be looking for is any mobo that supports FSB speeds of 1333? also whats a good CPU if i got that mobo.

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions fast...i'm going shopping for them today.

Thanks
How much are you willing to fork out for the cpu+mobo?
Do you plan on going SLI?

Currently I prefer MSI mobos for their DrMOS technology (helps keep the board cool)
(10-01-2009, 10:37 AM)mackoyski Wrote: How much are you willing to fork out for the cpu+mobo?
Do you plan on going SLI?

Currently I prefer MSI mobos for their DrMOS technology (helps keep the board cool)

Gigabyte has a similar thing which reduces power consumption on boards that have the E- prefix (eg. EP45 as opposed to P45).

It does come down to budget, and also whether you will be overclocking or not.

If you will be overclocking, and assuming you are not looking to go SLI, I'd be looking at a board with the P45 chipset; something like the GA-EP45-UD3P. For the CPU, you could go for either an E8400, E8500 or E8600.

For a budget build, you could get a P41 chipset board; something like the GA-EP41-UD3L. Budget CPUs such as the E5xxx pr E7xxx series will probably need to be overclocked to play games at full speed. Or you could stick the the E8400 or E8500.

In any case, boards with P4x (ie. P41, P43 or P45) chipsets will support the latest C2D CPUs (including quad-cores if you wish), although some may require flashing to the latest BIOS.
No i don't plan on going SLI just yet, I'm willing to spend $300~400 for a mobo/cpu combo.

i saw the E8600 seems to be at 3.33GHz stock ... i'm not planning to overclock mainly because i'm not very confident about it, will 3.33GHz be enough mostly in my case atleast?
Yes, the E8xxx series is great for PCSX2 for just that reason. Little need to overclock except for the most demanding stuff.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(10-01-2009, 06:38 PM)Thamer Wrote: No i don't plan on going SLI just yet, I'm willing to spend $300~400 for a mobo/cpu combo.

i saw the E8600 seems to be at 3.33GHz stock ... i'm not planning to overclock mainly because i'm not very confident about it, will 3.33GHz be enough mostly in my case atleast?

I wouldn't get the E8600 unless you plan to overclock. There is quite a big jump up in price between the E8500 and E8600, when the only difference between them is an extra 0.5x multiplier. Essentially, the extra multiplier will allow it to be overclocked slightly higher; otherwise, the extra money is not worth the measly 170 Mhz difference.

Getting the E8400-E8600 without overclocking is a bit of a waste, since they overclock so easily. All you have to do is raise the FSB from 333 Mhz to say 375 Mhz in the BIOS and save. For such a minor overclock (~12%), you most likely won't have to even touch voltages or anything else. Run a stress test like Prime95 or LinX for a day, and if it passes, you're good to go.