Looking for tips on getting Summoner (original) working smoothly
Hey folks, I have lurked for ages and used various versions of the software for years to good success, but lately one game has been really difficult for me to get working correctly. I ended up signing up here finally just to see if I could get some input.

I've been having a heckuva time getting the original Summoner to play smoothly on my rig. Pretty much every other game I've played I can eventually get going smoothly through trial and error (and the data on the wiki, of course), but this one's really stubborn. So far the fastest I can manage is by using the OpenGL Hardware settings in GSDX, but even then I'm getting heavy framerate lag even right at the first village (those fire effects are really killing the game speed).

I've played both via my original disc in the drive, and via an ISO of it I ripped to try and make loading faster, but no real change in framerates there.

I'd love to get more oomph out of this, could use some tips on things to try. Otherwise I'm probably just going to play it in the PS2 instead, but lose out on those nifty graphics tweaks that I love PCSX2 so much for.

SPECS:
- PCSX2 1.4.0-20160105132032- compiled on Jan  5 2016
- Operating System =  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (build 10586), 64-bit
- Physical RAM     =  16282 MB
- CPU name         =  AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor
- CPU speed        =  4.334 ghz (8 logical threads)
- GPU: Geforce GTX 960
- Plugins: GSDX32-avx 1.0.0

Sponsored links

Please provide a screenshot of all of your PCSX2 settings for further help on choosing the optimal settings.
(04-25-2016, 06:34 PM)ssakash Wrote: Please provide a screenshot of all of your PCSX2 settings for further help on choosing the optimal settings.

Gladly, thanks for replying!

I just took a bunch and upped them to a new Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/kgPL1

I've temporarily put Summoner on hold until I figure this out or decide to just use the PS2. These are the settings I've reverted back to in order to play Dragon Quest VIII, which runs amazingly at 60+ FPS regularly (it drops noticeably if I raise the resolution, though)

Everything else is default, but I can provide others you think might be relevant.
Turn off the EE overclock.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
move the ee cyclerate slider the other way...
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Meanwhile here's the GSDX config that so far gives me best performance in Summoner. 55-60 FPS most times, but slows to near 30 near buildings, fires, and any effects: http://i.imgur.com/iqpj4kq.png
(04-26-2016, 02:13 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: move the ee cyclerate slider the other way...

Ahhh nice! That's helped significantly. The help text for that setting says that higher improves performance, but I guess since this was a very early game, it needs a lower number, then?
Thanks again for that tip folks, it's running exceptionally well now, not a dip below 60 even surrounded by visual effects. Awesome!
(04-26-2016, 02:20 AM)phasmaphobic Wrote: Ahhh nice! That's helped significantly. The help text for that setting says that higher improves performance, but I guess since this was a very early game, it needs a lower number, then?

it can help with games that had poor frame rates on the PS2, but at the cost of a heavy hit to speed if your hardware isn't up to par
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]