Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking to upgrade my mobo and CPU.
As the title states, I want to upgrade my mobo & CPU, and maybe a heat sink or other things needed for overclocking? I have a $300 spending budget and I want the best bang for my buck as I probably won't see this much money until I get a job... Unsure

P.S: Still a little new to computer hardware, like you might have noticed so please go easy on me, and links to newegg product pages would be very helpful.

P.P.S: I would like to stick with DDR2 RAM since I already have 2 GBs of that. I would also like to get a new case, but I don't NEED one or anything at the moment.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
4GB DDR3-1600
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
420w PSU

Sponsored links

What is your current mobo and CPU?

The budget is a little limited so getting new mobo and CPU may not be that great for best bang/buck, at least knowing the current mobo there could be something to do as far as CPU goes...
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(05-27-2011, 06:59 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: What is your current mobo and CPU?

The budget is a little limited so getting new mobo and CPU may not be that great for best bang/buck, at least knowing the current mobo there could be something to do as far as CPU goes...

The MSI KA780G

I should have said that I want to be able to emulate Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+( most important), Persona 3-4 and maybe the Devil May Cry games at fast rates.
4GB DDR3-1600
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
420w PSU
(05-27-2011, 12:01 AM)EmLeingod Wrote: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
2GB DDR2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 5200+ 2.70 GHz
MSI KA780G
**Tip** Put your system specs in your signature, and the question will never need asking. Smile

Would definitely want to consider a new mobo, or at least a new CPU. The GPU could be better, but it would suffice much better than that CPU. I'm certain a CPU upgrade should come first in this case.

If going for a newer mobo, you'll be needing newer RAM. DDR3 is the stuff, and a 2gb stick is only $20 on Newegg.

With $300, you could quite simply buy this combo, then buy some DDR3 RAM. Less than $300 when paired with the previous RAM, and just over $300 if you get 4GB.

But perhaps even better could be done (I just browsed the CPU & Motherboard combos). I'll post back for you, but in the meantime you can ask any question, see what you can find on Newegg (etc), and also recieve some input from others. Someone may have a better suggestion than me, and a second opinion is always recommended. Wink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealD...mbo.638708
recent hardware and it's just in your price range. although if you wait 6 months for the extreme/high end cpu's to come out, you can save $50. lol
as for RAM you can keep your ddr2, until you have more spending money. there's not that big of a difference for pcsx2. (unless new data says otherwise) 4gb ddr3 is going for $50 nowadays.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103727

Just found that browsing, thoughts?
4GB DDR3-1600
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
420w PSU
(05-27-2011, 08:44 AM)EmLeingod Wrote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103727

Just found that browsing, thoughts?

the 965 BE came out 16 month ago, if you want to go AMD, you're probably better off waiting for their new CPU line to come out and see what it has to offer.
Waiting has it's rewards, but I don't think s/he's too aweful concerned with being on the absolute "cutting-edge" of things. Granted, a Sandy Bridge is very new and should prove more than enough to suit the needs of those games. The fact is, it would prove more than enough for the cause (and mentioned games), so a more well rounded approach may prove the smartest move.

It could also be considered to get that 965 BE ($120 w/ promo), get a more suitable GPU, and possibly even another mobo. Since a new mobo isn't technically needed in this case (I'd verify what Newegg's site says), you could even have room for a nice cooler, better RAM/GPU/PSU or whatever in it's place. Just another thought to consider. The way I see it, having your current GPU with even a OC'd 2500K would result in limitations more often than with an Phenom II @ 4Ghz with a HD 5700.

Basically, a high clocked Phenom II X4 should handle those games you've mentioned well, with little or no need of hacks. Your GPU is in that "so-so" catagory, and it honestly may not always be perfect on native. That's a fairly low resolution that does look particularly crummy by today's standards. A better GPU could ensure a modest, yet satisfying resolution.

Just another thing to consider. Perhaps you will score a little extra cash before you have to decide, and more options may open up. A Core i with a better GPU woild be most ideal in the long run.

What is your PSU, anyway?
pretty sure it's this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817703017
4GB DDR3-1600
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
420w PSU
That's not bad for a 420W.

I see a good deal on a open-box ASUS P8P67-M PRO on Newegg for $87. I can tell you it's a great mobo to get the job done. Wink