Lost hours of gameplay due to power cut - sstate is there but pcsx2 wont load it
Cause it's not necessary.

Yeah sure it may help in this case but would do the same as saving into different save state slots (you can also start using multiple slots instead and would be more backup) but still the issue would be there, any save state you load could end up being lost and the backup is just the older savestate (so if your last state save was hours ago before your current one, you would still have the hours ago state from the backup and lose your current one from a powerloss).

Edit:
BTW if you have system restore enabled you could try loading an older version of your save state, it's possible it's still there... just select the save state file in explorer and "Right Click > Properties > Previous Version" and try loading the newest one.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

(08-27-2011, 04:50 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Cause it's not necessary.

Yeah sure it may help in this case but would do the same as saving into different save state slots (you can also start using multiple slots instead and would be more backup) but still the issue would be there, any save state you load could end up being lost and the backup is just the older savestate (so if your last state save was hours ago before your current one, you would still have the hours ago state from the backup and lose your current one from a powerloss).

I savestate at every saving point in the game ( to keep it fair) which means saves would be at most around 20 min. Also, saving into different savestates is a nono, because im using those for pre-boss battle saves, so that i may replay them if i want to. And i didnt see an option to save them as separate files, as with the Psx - i can only save upon the 10 states.
(08-27-2011, 02:37 PM)refraction Wrote: im sorry, we will write a

if(powercut)
{
}

function shall we? Tongue

lol, funny, but the write handle is remaining open for a long period of time after the state has supposedly finished writing. im talking 5 minutes, which is already 4:30s longer then it should be Tongue2
(08-27-2011, 07:23 PM)perkyguy Wrote: (...)
Also, saving into different savestates is a nono, because im using those for pre-boss battle saves, so that i may replay them if i want to.
(...)
i can only save upon the 10 states.

You can always copy all savestates to different folder and 10 new slots for your bosses fights;P. But then again it's ps2... in most games before every boss there is a place to save the game normally... which is much better solution. Savestates are changed and doesn't work among different PCSX2 versions, they also take much more HDD space - example packed memory card folder with LOOOOOTS of different saves around 1MB, savestate folder from just few games is around few GB's and they're already compressed;P.

=
Savestate are usefull and fun/fast to use, but normal saves are soo much better...;]

(08-28-2011, 02:22 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: lol, funny, but the write handle is remaining open for a long period of time after the state has supposedly finished writing. im talking 5 minutes, which is already 4:30s longer then it should be Tongue2

This is not the first time you express this claim with such confidence. Do you have any hard evidence to backup this claim? Can you reproduce this behavior at will? Or are these claims based on a hunch?

I'm not teasing (much), but rather hope to fix it if there is indeed a bug. I've tried following the code, but so far couldn't see anything wrong.

Furthermore, if you use ProcessMonitor ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...s/bb896645 ), you would see that the handle is clearly closed as soon as the sstate is done (typically about 2s after you initiate the save).

You at least owe us the rationale for your confidence that this bug indeed exists.
they are easily reproducible after a long session.

it becomes more likely to occur if you load a state numerous times
(08-28-2011, 12:10 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: they are easily reproducible after a long session.

it becomes more likely to occur if you load a state numerous times

Unfortunately, unless you can provide a clear method to reproduce the bug with reasonable repeatability, this is neither helpful nor remotely scientific.

Next time, be sure to have a good enough explanation to back up such claims.
A more pausible cause of (presumed saved) data loss (of any type) on power failure is the disc cache feature, a sad compromise I don't know a way to solve other than using UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) or disabling the cache which would mean baaad news to performance.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(08-28-2011, 05:48 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: A more pausible cause of (presumed saved) data loss (of any type) on power failure is the disc cache feature, a sad compromise I don't know a way to solve other than using UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) or disabling the cache which would mean baaad news to performance.

This wouldn't be a failure, but rather a known compromise with known side effects. While this scenario (BSOD/power-failure shortly after a save) can trigger a sstate corruption, it's neither a pcsx2 bug nor a Windows bug.

A case which I would consider as a bug is if the file isn't closed properly immediately after save, however, all my research so far (including single stepping the save-state code and numerous power-offs shortly after saving - tested with virtualbox) suggests this is not the case.

Indeed, I meant this is outside PCSX2 responsibility or scope even. It's not a bug, the disc cache is a compromise (OS concerned) and even so, not even disabling it can grant complete security, mainly on hard bsods (The UPS can grant the time to close all handlers before shutting down the system on power failure but can't do anything if the OS itself crashes).
Imagination is where we are truly real