Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Low FPS after overclock
I just got Xenosaga 1 and since the game is very demanding I decided to overclock my CPU to get higher FPS, the problem is that my FPS dropped about 30%.
Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Running PCSX2 0.9.6
GSdx 0.1.14 SSE2 - dx 10
SPU-X 1.1.0

System spec
GF 9800 GT 512mb
2gb 667mhz ram
P5B deluxe motherboard
Vista

C2D E6420 at 2.13ghz(stock) and 3ghz(overclock)
*1.35 vcore, 8x375mhz and 100mhz on PCI
CE1 and SpeedSet disabled
Around 50C temperature

Sponsored links

It is possible that you overclocked a bit too much for the cpu. As a result, the cpu itself became unstable. Try lowering the clock little by little to see if the situation improves.
PS: If it wasn't your cpu, the only other explanation I can think of is that your motherboard became unstable...but 375mhz is nothing to that board...so...your cpu might have just hit its limit. Try lowering the frequency or the multiplier.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
*1.35 vcore is a bit low voltage for your processor to operate stable.

This board is not about overclocking and you're doing that at your own risk. But if framerate goes back up after you revert to the stock frequencies - you did your overclocking wrong.

(04-08-2009, 08:41 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: It is possible that you overclocked a bit too much for the cpu. As a result, the cpu itself became unstable.

That's not possible. If a system is unstable - it goes BSOD or hangs.
Of course its possible, it can hangs or goes BSOD, but it can run also slower, depends on application or game.
(04-08-2009, 01:48 PM)spajdr Wrote: Of course its possible, it can hangs or goes BSOD, but it can run also slower, depends on application or game.

No it's not possible. Please any example?
(04-08-2009, 01:54 PM)Cain Wrote:
(04-08-2009, 01:48 PM)spajdr Wrote: Of course its possible, it can hangs or goes BSOD, but it can run also slower, depends on application or game.

No it's not possible. Please any example?
It`s not exact example, but his CPU can throttle because of high temperatures - hence the lower FPS.
(04-08-2009, 02:23 PM)Prott Wrote: It`s not exact example, but his CPU can throttle because of high temperatures - hence the lower FPS.

True, absolutely "not exact". It's related to temp, not OC. Besides, author says all the techs are off, and if it's true, processor will sooner fry than drop it's speed. He also says the temp is about 50C (most likely it's higher of course, when processor is at it's peak load).
Your cpu might be overheating which is why your fps are dropping.
q6600 OC @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, nvidia gtx 260, 2x 1 tb hard disk
Well i ran some tests, i tried to overclock increasing 100mhz at a time and when i reached 3ghz(1.35vcore) the problem didnt happen(the FPS went from 35 to 50 on the scene i tested)

Btw before that i tried increasing the vcore(1.35 - 1.41) but it didnt seem to help.

What i find kinda weird is that when i tried overclocking straight to 3ghz it never worked(tried like 5 times) but after trying 100mhz at a time it worked.
In my experience, I'd have to agree with Cain. Whether it's my CPU, RAM, or vid card, any time an overclock is unstable it always results in BSOD.
@dtha: That is the way you're always supposed to overclock. Do it gradually, jumping up a gig in one shot is bad for both the CPU and mobo. Glad you got it working though, and now you know a little more about overclocking.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\