Low FPS in Dot Hack G.U. Vol. 1 - Rebirth
So I've been trying to get the Dot Hack series working on my laptop, and it starts up fine and everything, but I've been getting terrible FPS with it. At times it drops below 30 FPS, even when I'm just running around town or something.

I've tried Googling and looking through posts on this forum, as well as messing around with the settings and speedhacks myself, but nothing seems to be working.

Both the EE and the GS go up to 96-100%, though it's typically the GS during gameplay and the EE during cutscenes (although sometimes both will hit 100% during gameplay)

It's probably worth mentioning that PCSX2 is the only thing I have running at the time, so there's nothing else taking up all my CPU resources or anything.

Anyways, here's my computer specs:

CPU: i7-3720QM 2.6GHz (Intel assures me it "turbo boosts" to 3.6GHz)
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
HD: 480GB Intel 520 SSD

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for getting my FPS up to a playable level. :x

Thanks,
-Encon

Sponsored links

Try running the later svns and making sure that the nvidia gpu is selected and not the intel IGP. I assume you are running in hardware mode correct? Enable the MTVU hack if you haven't already and make sure your PC is set to High Performance mode in power settings aka from control panel hit power options and make sure that high performance is active.

Use Direct3 D11 Hardware mode from GSDX settings.

Also try setting a lower resolution like 2x and seeing if you get a speed boost
Ur laptop clock is weak for pcsx2 emulation.. Try native resolution untick 8 bit textures.. Disable any non default settings u use,..
@Topken: I just installed PCSX2 a couple days ago so it should be the newest version. I did double check that the NVidia GPU is being used, and it's set to Direct3D 11 (Hardware). I've tried pretty much every combination of the speedhacks I could think of, so I was hoping there might be some options that I missed somewhere else.

@Yash: You mean the CPU? I would have thought an i7 would be fast enough for it. D: If I disabled the Turbo Boost and overclocked it instead, would this speed things up, or is Turbo Boost going to have pretty much the same effect?

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way.
You can get the latest SVN from here http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

Have you checked the other things I mentioned?
It dosnt matter u have an i7. When ur clockspeed is low for pcsx2..turbo boost is good but i dont knw it take any affact on that ..try the what i give u in previous post...
(06-08-2013, 12:08 PM)Yash the gamer Wrote: It dosnt matter u have an i7. When ur clockspeed is low for pcsx2..turbo boost is good but i dont knw it take any affact on that ..try the what i give u in previous post...

His cpu will hit 3.4GHz with turbo so long as he has his power settings set to high performance and isnt getting heat issues (which he shouldn't) making it perfectly fine for pcsx2. Being an i7 it has the benefit of being a quad core so can make full ise of the mtvu hack if needed.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
I am running an i7 @2.4/3.4 GHz and it runs just fine at 2-3x native resolution. I have mtvu enabled and 3 extra rendering threads. I consistently run 60 FPS with EE and GS approximately holding 60-70%. I have a GTX 670M video card which is just a hair better than his. I haven't ran Dot Hack but his PC should be more than good enough to run PCSX2.
(06-08-2013, 12:47 PM)Slim87R Wrote: I am running an i7 @2.4/3.4 GHz and it runs just fine at 2-3x native resolution. I have mtvu enabled and 3 extra rendering threads. I consistently run 60 FPS with EE and GS approximately holding 60-70%. I have a GTX 670M video card which is just a hair better than his. I haven't ran Dot Hack but his PC should be more than good enough to run PCSX2.

Those 3 extra rendering threads only take effect if your in software mode, which can only give you native resolution. You get your 2-3x upscale in hardware mode. Just an FYI.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(06-08-2013, 12:23 PM)Dante3hs Wrote: His cpu will hit 3.4GHz with turbo so long as he has his power settings set to high performance and isnt getting heat issues (which he shouldn't) making it perfectly fine for pcsx2. Being an i7 it has the benefit of being a quad core so can make full ise of the mtvu hack if needed.
thanxx to corrct me...