Low FPS--is this normal?
Just started playing Jak 3. The game starts up fine and everything, and besides minor graphics hiccups it works pretty well, it's just that I can't play at anything higher than 30 fps. Everybody is moving and talking in slow motion. I've been reading some of the stickied threads and it seems slow gameplay is not all that uncommon, I just wanted to make sure it isn't that I did something wrong or if my computer just isn't powerful enough.

My specs:
Windows 7 64bit (bootcamp from mac)
intel i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
4g RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750 graphics card

It might be my graphics card, now that I think about it.

Sponsored links

(09-14-2012, 12:30 AM)Werewolf Wrote: Just started playing Jak 3. The game starts up fine and everything, and besides minor graphics hiccups it works pretty well, it's just that I can't play at anything higher than 30 fps. Everybody is moving and talking in slow motion. I've been reading some of the stickied threads and it seems slow gameplay is not all that uncommon, I just wanted to make sure it isn't that I did something wrong or if my computer just isn't powerful enough.

My specs:
Windows 7 64bit (bootcamp from mac)
intel i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
4g RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750 graphics card

It might be my graphics card, now that I think about it.
When it lags heavily, what does the GS% readout along the top bar?
Acer Aspire V3-571
CPU: Intel i5-3210M @ 3.1GHz (overclocked)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (up to 1760MB)
RAM: 6 GB DDR3

Playing: FFX-2
(09-14-2012, 01:32 AM)Ravin1337 Wrote: When it lags heavily, what does the GS% readout along the top bar?

It lags heavily all the time when I'm in game. When I'm outside of game (at the ps2 options screen) it's got neat 60-point-something FPS.

I'm running the game right now on the tutorial level...according to the top bar, my fps is fluctuating between 20 and 24, and this GS% thing you're talking about (I have no idea what it is) is fluctuating between 30% and 45%.

Like I said, the game itself is as if it's going in slow motion, even the sound.

People's shadows also look really strange, and all the characters have no eyeballs, but all that I can live with.

What does this mean?

EDIT: Oddly enough, at the in-game pause screen, fps is back to 60.00 and GS drops to 10%.
edit/reissue:

it maybe the temps.
kindly install CoreTemp and run CoreTemp and pcsx2 simeontenously as soon the game slowwed down. show us the temps.
if you haved other programs running better close it.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(09-14-2012, 02:17 AM)tallbender Wrote: edit/reissue:

it maybe the temps.
kindly install CoreTemp and run CoreTemp and pcsx2 simeontenously as soon the game slowwed down. show us the temps.
if you haved other programs running better close it.

Granted, this is a laptop, and a macbook at that, so the temps may very well be an issue...and apparently overclocking a laptop is a bad idea for the same reason.

Just closed all programs except for CoreTemp and pcsx2. Prior to launching the emulator my 4 cores were around 60 degrees each...I know there's 8 cores, but CoreTemps only gives me the readings for 4. Upon starting the emulator the temps jumped up into the low 90s, as I continued playing the game they lowered a bit and ultimately ended up hovering around the mid 70s.

All the while my game was running at 30 fps or lower and 30-40 GC%.
I think it's safe to say in all cases when a game doesn't run as fast as you'd like, your PC is just too slow to run the game. Just copy and paste this into the next thousand threads about games running too slow.
(09-14-2012, 05:17 AM)Starscream Wrote: I think it's safe to say in all cases when a game doesn't run as fast as you'd like, your PC is just too slow to run the game. Just copy and paste this into the next thousand threads about games running too slow.

Is there any way I can reduce the settings or something to potentially increase FPS? Maybe if I get pcsx2 working on my mac side? The mac version was much more buggy for me than the PC one, which is why I switched to doing the emulation on bootcamp anyway...but if it would help to have it run on the OS my comp was built for, I'd go back and figure it out on the other side.
You can enable the speed hacks that have "recommended" near their name, but that will only get you so far. In the end, you just need a faster processor/PC.
Can anyone tell me what this GC% thing is? I've been tinkering around with the settings for the emulator to see if I can speed it up and I couldn't find anything on the pcsx2 website that explicitly says what GC% represents.

Also, I know this is the PC forum, but do you think if I manage to get the emulator to work on my mac side that it will perform better (given that mac is my machine's native OS)?

Thanks in advance.