Low fps cant find fix.
Hi,

name is Dennis, I am fairly new to the pcsx2 and was happy to find that it was finally announced. So i downloaded it, set it up, threw my bios on it etc. Made an Iso of Burnout Revenge and tried playing. Until the actual race frames are at 50+ as soon as it switches into the race fps drops to 20.

Yes I am using a laptop which is not recommended i know.
The specs are:

Win 7
Intel core i7 second gen 2.8ghz
Nvidia GeForce 610M @1Gb DDR3
8GB DDR3 RAM

About a year ago this was a rather high end laptop.
Settings are at SSE2., Native resolution, Direct3D 10 Hardware and 3 extra rendering threads.

Any suggestions and tips are very welcome. Thank you.

Sponsored links

Tick the MTVU hack, and play with the VU and EE hacks to find the best combo. You also have a very weak GPU, so set it to native rendering.
MTVU hack is and was on and frames were set to native. I increased the Vu setting to 3 and EE to 2. EE rates at 66% Vu is at around 45, fps increased to between 37 and 47, gpu is still at 99% (rofl). The framerate is playable but the graphics are beyond bad which is not surprising. Any other tweaks by any chance or is that as far as it goes?

sorry i meant GS is at 99%
oh and thank you for the quick responses and help. definitely appreciate it ^^ Smile
There is no cure for that video card.
Have you tried with another game? like PC games, each PS2 game has it's own demand level. Since it's a laptop there is a chance to be under some Windows power save feature. Open Windows control panel and from there "Power Options" and put the laptop under "High Performance" while playing, remember to return the power save option afterwards.

You may need to click the Show more options to see that performance plan.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I haven't had the chance to try another pcsx2 game yet. Im just surprised of the demands as this is a console that came out 10 years ago and as my graphics card manage WoW on ultimate graphics. It cant keep up with graphics killers like BF3 or Crisis obviously but works super well for most current games. About the high performance I'm fairly good with pc tweaks and already turned everything off that my laptopdoesnt need as well as change the power settings to high performance as long as it's plugged in since i spend most of my time playing video games and studying for school ^^. So how come this is so demanding that we need a high performance computer to recalculate what the ps2 was able to?

Thank you for the replies peoples, do really appreciate it
(02-14-2013, 06:15 PM)burniator Wrote: I haven't had the chance to try another pcsx2 game yet. Im just surprised of the demands as this is a console that came out 10 years ago and as my graphics card manage WoW on ultimate graphics. It cant keep up with graphics killers like BF3 or Crisis obviously but works super well for most current games. About the high performance I'm fairly good with pc tweaks and already turned everything off that my laptopdoesnt need as well as change the power settings to high performance as long as it's plugged in since i spend most of my time playing video games and studying for school ^^. So how come this is so demanding that we need a high performance computer to recalculate what the ps2 was able to?

Thank you for the replies peoples, do really appreciate it
It is very demanding, some games may make desktop with high end CPU overclocked up to 4.5+ GHz and above mainstream to top GPU asking for water. Just don't try and compare native PC games with emulation.

PS: think emulation is like an occidental guy translating Chinese for you and that guy knows only the basics of Chinese... most of times he will do a reasonable translation without losing much of time but once and again will clash with unknown idiomatic expressions and either will take a long time to get the translation or give you a wrong one. He most probably will do a good job translating colloquial talk but will struggle with more "philosophical or technical" convo which will demand much increased time and effort from him.
(02-14-2013, 06:24 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: It is very demanding, some games may make desktop with high end CPU overclocked up to 4.5+ GHz and above mainstream to top GPU asking for water. Just don't try and compare native PC games with emulation.

I was just wondering what it was in the emulation that makes top computers beg for more, that's all ^^ I knew that the ps2 is a complicated system that emulates various things at the same time, im just confused on how the hardware of the ps2 managed to do tasks back then that my laptop would have difficulty with.
(02-14-2013, 06:34 PM)burniator Wrote: I was just wondering what it was in the emulation that makes top computers beg for more, that's all ^^ I knew that the ps2 is a complicated system that emulates various things at the same time, im just confused on how the hardware of the ps2 managed to do tasks back then that my laptop would have difficulty with.

The point is tjey are different hardware actually... your desktop/laptop would have no problem running PS2 games "ported" to PC.

One the first and fundamental principles on the emulation is the emulating machine must be order of magnitude more "powerful" than the emulated one. And how powerful is the emulated machine is not the only and sometimes not the greater problem ever, how much they are different in "architecture" and resources usage may be the main factor making emulation so hard on the emulating machine.