MGS3 & My Specs
Sup guys. I'm new. Found these forums and figured this was the place to ask. Anyways I recently noticed today that i can use PCSX2 to run MGS3. I've got everything setup and the game runs pretty good. All in all, i'm pretty pleased. The reason i'm here, is because i'm getting 59-60 frame rates consistently yet after about 5 minutes of gameplay everything starts going all slow motion on me. It seems to be only the tail end of FMV's and not so if any at all during game play itself. However some colors seem to be a tad off. As if some colors appear a sort of greyscale but not so much. Before I waste anyone's time in having to ask;

990fx 8-Core 3.10 GHz
16gigs DDR3
GTX-570

I'm pretty sure i'm good on specs. Onto my current plugins (for PCSX2);

PCSX2 ver. 0.9.8

GS: GSdx 4600 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.16 (gsdx-sse2-r4600)
PAD: LilPad svn (r4510) 0.10.0 [lilypad-r4600]
SPU2: SPU2-X r4600m 1.4.0 [spu2-x-r4600]
CDVD: cdvdGigaherz (r4510) 0.8.0 [cdvdGigaherz
USB: USBnull Driver 0.7.0 [USBnull]
FW: FWnull Driver 0.7.0 [FWnull]
DEV9: DEV9null Driver 0.5.0 [DEV9null]

As far as any modifications to any settings in PCSX2 itself. i've modified the "GS Window" tab to 16:9 ratio with a reso of 1920x1080 over the default setting (trying to play the game in HD like i've seen it played on youtube).

and thats honestly about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and nice to meet everyone. :-)

Sponsored links

Im going to advise you to get the latest svn version of pcsx2 here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Use the MTVU hack and maybe the recommended hacks to, if your daring you can set EE cycle stealing to 1 or 2
Software render works best, but looks pretty bad. HW looks nice but is missing light reflections on textures(they appear as ink blots)
PS: The cut scenes are known to be very demanding
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
got the newest SVn. turned EE to the center, i assume thats the 2 setting you reffered. Gameplay lags out now. Gonna switch it back. Head to bed, and put fresh thought to this in the morning. Thank you to anyone that adds their input to this tonight while i'm asleep. Will try all suggestions in the morning. :-)
Because i couldn't help myself to test once more. Game is back to default. Brought resolution down to 720p, seems to do better. i have light reflection on textures, instead of the greyscale -ish texs (probably due to the 1080 stretching textures or some other graphical issue at 1080p). Anyways i noticed in the FMV's or in really busy areas (lots of npcs or creatures) i do tend to drop down to anywhere from 22-29 FPS. Any thoughts on why with my hardware i'm dropping down to those FPS? Perhaps there is some setting to retain FPS at all times? Just my midnight thoughts, lol.
Did you put the MTVU hack on? it works well with most 3d games, as for EE settings slowing things down, it can happen in some games, didnt realize MGS3 was one of them
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
Yep the MTVU is on. Still dropping down to 20+ FPS on the FMVs. :-( i can't believe it takes so much Hardware to match my PS2, doesn't really make sense to me other then games for the PS2 are strictly written for the PS2. It almost has to be down to settings. ofcourse I am also trying to run the game in 720p and i don't quite think the game nor the ps2 was meant for that deffinition, lol. I imagine running it at near ps2 graphical settings i'll zoom, lmao. The goal was afterall to see the game in HD and trying with mouse and keyboard, versus the controller. I'm trying to not spend the money on the HD collection package jsut to see the HD sense i already own the single game itself. Apparently fate wants me to buy the collection package now, lol. if anything i suppose it would be neat playing peacwalker on a console instead of a handheld, lol.
What do the ee% and gs% say when you get those slowdowns ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The only other suggestion i have is lowering your resolution and setting EE/IOP clamping to none and Vus Clamping to none, Havnt tried it myself so im not sure if it will break this game, but it just might give you a boost to 88 mile per hour
Msi GF-62VR
i believe the EE jump to like 38%-45% give/take, and I believe the GS jumped like to 80%-90% give/take. rough guess but i have a thing for numbers and i would say that i believe my memory serves me correct.

and that of course is when the games FPS drop to around 23-31 FPS
Well if Anything you would be limited by your GPU based on those findings, how much Ram does you video card have, because if your trying to run at anything more than x2 max 3 with a 1gig card, expect problems
Msi GF-62VR