MGS3: Subsistence Framerate
This might be a commonly encountered problem, but seeing as how I'm just learning how to use this particular emulator, any help would be appreciated. I just recently downloaded 9.6 and am running MGS3: Subsistence as a benchmark. I'm pleasantly surprised with in-game framerates on the default settings, though the cutscenes seem to slow to a grind. I've been tweaking the plugins and configuration menus, but I'm not really understanding a lot of the options I'm messing with / know which ones are positively effecting performance. My specs are:

Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @2.83GHz
nVidia GeForce 9800GT
8GB RAM
Vista 64

As you can see, my rig's no slouch. I've seen vids on the 'Tube of people emulating the cutscenes at full speed, so I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong? I guess it's not a terrible game-breaker, but MGS3 is like half cutscene, so sitting through laggy or significantly slowed cutscenes becomes annoying. I turned on frameskip, but that only succeeded in causing wobbly skips and errors in between renderings. I'm not really familiar with the pros and cons of each respective plugin, so any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Smile

Sponsored links

MGS3 is very sensitive to resolution changes, i get performance drops at 1024x1024 even, whereas in katamari damacy for example i can play at 2048x2048 with no probs.

Bare with slow cut-scenes, and aim down when you play so that you see snake and the ground, that makes most of the game playable.
(03-05-2009, 05:18 AM)Federelli Wrote: MGS3 is very sensitive to resolution changes, i get performance drops at 1024x1024 even, whereas in katamari damacy for example i can play at 2048x2048 with no probs.

Besides resolution, what settings/plugins do you notice effect the framerate the most (I've left everything pretty much at default settings)?
None, speed hacks on or off it's the same thing, it's just less stable with hacks.

Both clamp modes set to none.

Anywhere from 10fps on intensive scenes to over 100fps on simple ones.
@SexyComa, as far as pcsx2 is concerned; your rig isn't overly powerful.
It doesn't gain anything from having 2 extra cores (unless you use software rendering).

The emulator responds to higher cpu frequency more than anything.
Try overclocking that Q9550 in the 3.6-4.0 range, should be easily doable if you have a decent motherboard/memory.

(Note: Although it Is still possible to be bottleneck on the graphics side of things depending on scenes etc..)
Ninja
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It's not really using the other two, but I haven't tried to overclock yet.
*****, I'm just going to buy it on amazon for chrissakes.