MGS3 speed issues
Hey guys, maybe some of you remember me. I had a few problems with mgs3 on 9.6 r1881, stripes from bottom to top while emulating it, speed issues and so on. Now eqipped with the new 9.7 r3113 release and the august plugin update, all these problems got better. No stripes anymore and emulation is 50%faster than before but still it is slow in most areas. I know that mgs3 is the one taking all of EE's and GS's power and requires a good cpu setting but still I hope to make it run after all.

First my specs again:

AMD Phenom 9650 quadcore @ 2,3 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4650 @ 1 GB
8 GB of DDR2 Ram

Now my settings:

Newest GSdX Plugin release
Direct3D10(Hardware)
No interlacing
native resolution

Newest SPU-X 2 release
Speedup after ASync Mix enabled

Speedhacks
All enabled, tried to disable some, enable all one after one but with no signifficant effect, tried many combinations but all of them work best for me

Gamefixes
Just one active, the EE Timing hack

EE/IOP
standard settings by release

VUs
standard setting by release

GS
standard settings by release
gave the framelimiter 60 FPS to limit to on both PAL and NTSC

Whatever I try, Dremuchij North is still like hell, giving me the feeling to be stuck somewhere in time ^^ Maybe one or more of you could figure out if there is any way to speed it up more, because I am so glad that these friggin' stripes are away at least. I hope my CPU is not too slow to speed it up a little bit, maybe I use something that happens to do ***** instead of helping, dunno, I just try to understand the structure, so maybe I made mistakes.

Hopefully you can help folks, would really like to play mgs3 again.

Sponsored links

overclock your cpu. imho thats the only way to get more speed.

i play mgs3 on my system too, and i also have slowdowns sometimes. not as bad as you, but yes, i have slowdowns, too. it's really very cpu-demanding
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps
How do I overclock my cpu and what are the risks in that? I have a huge knowledge about technical and software issues and solving simple electrical problems and I can also manufacture my own wire-boards (best example fo what I mean, as I am no native english speaker: boards containing lights, transistors, forces (I mean that Ohm thingy) and so on) but I never went deeper into cpu electrics and overclocking. Could you explain how this is done? Id like to hear it from someone who did it or knows how it is to be done than relying to google in that fact. ^^
well...

the main thing is: increasing the front side bus. most mainboards have an option for that in bios.

but increasing the fsb will also increase your ram speed, so you have to know at what speed your ram can run at max. most ddr2's run at 800mhz nowadays.

to make sure your ram doesnt run at a too high freqenzy, you have to adjust the fsb/ram-factor correctly (normally you have options like 2; 2,5; 3; 4 or something like that. for example, if your fsb is set to 333mhz and the ram-factor to 2,5 your ram will run with 833mhz (2,5 x 333 = 833), which is 33mhz too much and maybe your system wont be stable.

another problem is, that on some "cheap" mainboards, the pci-e/pci/etc-frequency is not seperated from fsb, so by increasing fsb you're also increasing their speeds and thats not very beneficial for overclocking.

increase the fsb only incremental in 5mhz steps. check the system stability everytime after increasing. if your system crashes, you went to high.

and watch your cpu-temperature, everything above 60 °C is apprehensive imho.

risks in overclocking are that your system wont boot, that you have to do a clear cmos. if you don't raise fsb and stuff like your crazy and if the temperaturs dont get to high, there's nothing you have to worry about.

there's even more stuff, like raising voltages, deactivating cpu-features and so on, but i thinks that enough for now. you see, overclocking can be a bit complicated.

if you never done it before, be carefull. overclock stepwise. watch the temps. check stability.

at last: i give absolutely no warrantys that any of these tips work on your system. and if anything goes wrong, don't say i haven't warned you.
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Hey, I wouldn't blame you if anything happens, I am doing it at my own risk after all, I try to find out what is doable with my system and maybe I check back with you, lets see what time reveals ^^
best thing you can do is give some hours into reading guides on overclocking and on overclock in general. after than search how your cpu and motherboard behaves on that and when you are totally sure everything is under control go for it in small steps.
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
I am loading SIW now, so that I can see what clocking I got and the maximum etc. think this is a good first step...
Apart from my overclocking thoughts now, SIW tells me, that my CPU supports SSE3 and SSE4A but pcsx2 plugins tell different, giving error that it is not supportet, whats ment with that?
gsdx needs ssse3 (with three "s") or sse4.1

your cpu only supports sse2, sse3 (with two "s") and sse4a

yeah, it confused me too at first.

thats the main reason i "reactivated" my e5200 and (eventually) sold my x3 720 @3,4ghz

cause the intel supports ssse3 and the x3 doesn't. and imho the intel is faster in apps that can't use 3 cores. AND 4,16ghz sounds much better than 3,4ghz, lol.
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Ah, thats it ^^ I gathered some information on following specs: Ram,CPU,Bios, Motherboard and System slots, found in the attachment, maybe you can read it right, because I do not understand it at the moment...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

uuaah, it's an acer Ninja

so i don't think there will be much overclocking options in the bios.
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95