Maximize Window Increases CPU Load
In every game I try (I've tried three so far) it seems that maximizing the window size drastically increases the CPU load. In Final Fantasy X for example the CPU load goes from about 35% (unmaximized) to 90% (maximized).

This seems to happen with GSDX and ZeroGS. Interestingly enough I can manually resize the window by grabbing the edges and there is no effect on CPU load or game speed at all. However, when I click the maximize button on the title screen the games slow down a lot and the CPU load spikes.

PCSX2 0.9.6
------------------------------------------------
Graphics: GSDX 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.14
Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
Controller: LilyPad 0.9.9
Cdvdrom: Linuz Iso CDVD 0.8.0

System
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
Video: 2x Geforce 8800 GTX (SLI)
Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

Sponsored links

well it's obvious since the cpu has to work with more image area than what it would've been if it were the original window size. Smile
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
(03-23-2009, 04:46 AM)mparent Wrote: In every game I try (I've tried three so far) it seems that maximizing the window size drastically increases the CPU load. In Final Fantasy X for example the CPU load goes from about 35% (unmaximized) to 90% (maximized).

This seems to happen with GSDX and ZeroGS. Interestingly enough I can manually resize the window by grabbing the edges and there is no effect on CPU load or game speed at all. However, when I click the maximize button on the title screen the games slow down a lot and the CPU load spikes.

PCSX2 0.9.6
Graphics: GSDX 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.14
Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
Controller: LilyPad 0.9.9
Cdvdrom: Linuz Iso CDVD 0.8.0

System
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
Video: 2x Geforce 8800 GTX (SLI)
Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

Window maximization shouldn't affect processor load to my knowledge, because nothing actually changes regardless of the window size.

Are you talking about CPU load from Task Manager or the percentage shown in teh PCSX2 window? If it's PCSX2 window - something is wrong with your video.
Well, technically speaking I don't believe it should be increasing the "Real" CPU usage.
I assume the displayed graphics are just being stretched when you increase the window size, the internal resolution stays the same.

Perhaps a dev would know more about that.
Ninja
This is related to Aero, disable it and see what happens
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Ohhh Personally I have AERO off so I seem to have no problems maximizing it. Or I just don't notice it.

I have disabled AERO on all my Vistas since I dont really need it and to save battery life.
[Image: Sig3copy.gif]
And I don't use vista on a regular basis, so I don't have that problem ;p
Ninja
I always disable Aero upon install of the OS. My machine is currently using the "Windows Vista Basic" theme and the problem still occurs. However, switching to "Windows Standard" seems to fix the problem. So it seems to be related to the Vista themes themselves and not Aero in particular.
I'd prefer to know specifically why this is happening since Windows Standard is so ugly and it would be a huge pain to change it every time I want to launch PCSX2. I've tried various options under the compatability tab for the executable and the problem still occurs (with the Vista basic theme).
Hm probably the issue I have as well then. Try switching Aero on. That should fix it...no idea why though and I also don't know how to make it properly work on Vista Basic.
A workaround is to manually make the window larger but just a bit smaller than stretched full screen (for vista basic)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Bositman:
Turning Aero on actually fixed things strangely enough. It was a rather counter-intuitive problem and I appreciate everyone's help. I wouldn't have thought to check out the themes on my own.
From a technical stand point it seems that under Vista Basic it may be switching to CPU rendering when the Window is maximized for some reason but properly staying with GPU rendering otherwise. I haven't looked at the code so I can't say for sure but I'm curious enough that I may just do that in the near future.