Metal Gear Solid 3
Hi people!!

I'm very noob on this emulation thing. I Tried using PCSX2 years ago and couldn't make it work. (My PC was also crap)

But few days ago a tried again since I have a brand new rig and wanted to give it a shot.

First, It´s AWESOME. FFXII IZJS work nice, MSSA x4 at 1080p @ 60FPS. It's amazing how it looks.

But I´ve been trying MGS3Wackoubsistence (European edition) and can´t make it work. There is this graphic glitch, like an "overlay" of colors all over it. Whe I activate HW hack Skipdraw to 1 or some other value it dissapear, but then also disapears part of the HUD of the game, or some textures look wrong.

I´ve search for a solution or workaround, but I´m tired. I don´t know what else to try..... I would apreciate any help

Now my specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate (Updated); All drivers updated.
i7 3770k @ 4.2 Ghz
8 gb RAM
AMD ati HD 6870 1gb
Integrated sound on Asus z77-V Deluxe mobo.

Tried both directx 9 and 11, soft and hardware mode. Native and scaling resolution.... Activated and desactivated speedhacks...

Please help, and thanks in advance

PS: Hope I make it clear, since english is not my mothertongue, sorry Smile
EDIT: Build is 1.0 (r5350)

Sponsored links

(01-31-2013, 12:07 AM)Evenstar Wrote: But I´ve been trying MGS3Wackoubsistence (European edition) and can´t make it work.

Windows 7 Ultimate (Updated); All drivers updated.
i7 3770k @ 4.2 Ghz
8 gb RAM
AMD ati HD 6870 1gb
Integrated sound on Asus z77-V Deluxe mobo.

Tried both directx 9 and 11, soft and hardware mode. Native and scaling resolution.... Activated and desactivated speedhacks...

Please help, and thanks in advance

PS: Hope I make it clear, since english is not my mothertongue, sorry Smile
EDIT: Build is 1.0 (r5350)

I have the US version of Subsistence (same game, slightly better) and it has NO graphical glitches. I ran the game with NO Speed Hacks. Actually, I think I have NO hacks by default. Only trouble I've had though is I need a stronger CPU as my Athlon II X2 250 @3.75Ghz isn't enough to keep it at a constant 60fps (maybe an aggressive speed hack will help, dunno).

So, if I were you, either use a real PS2, or get a US version and try that as it works on mine. US versions in general are typically playable, whereas PAL versions are not (going off the compatibility list). With your OC'd 3770 i7, you should be able to play it. I suggest starting with native resolution and turn HW hacks off (no MSSA, NO skip draw hacks) I'm also running build 5492, so you should download the most current build as yours is old. If you play a US game, I think you'll need a US bios file as well. If your TV is only 50hz, make sure you cap the US set up to 50hz instead of 60, unless that's only for old TVs, I honestly dunno. If it plays stable, change resolution to your liking. You shouldn't need any hack with this unless it's too slow as I've yet to see any bugs.

Also, play around with D3D9 and D3D11 (both hardware and software, sometimes software yields better image with less graphical bugs depending on the game)
(01-31-2013, 02:22 AM)Richard Simmons Wrote: I have the US version of Subsistence (same game, slightly better) and it has NO graphical glitches. I ran the game with NO Speed Hacks. Actually, I think I have NO hacks by default. Only trouble I've had though is I need a stronger CPU as my Athlon II X2 250 @3.75Ghz isn't enough to keep it at a constant 60fps (maybe an aggressive speed hack will help, dunno).

So, if I were you, either use a real PS2, or get a US version and try that as it works on mine. US versions in general are typically playable, whereas PAL versions are not (going off the compatibility list). With your OC'd 3770 i7, you should be able to play it. I suggest starting with native resolution and turn HW hacks off (no MSSA, NO skip draw hacks) I'm also running build 5492, so you should download the most current build as yours is old. If you play a US game, I think you'll need a US bios file as well. If your TV is only 50hz, make sure you cap the US set up to 50hz instead of 60, unless that's only for old TVs, I honestly dunno. If it plays stable, change resolution to your liking. You shouldn't need any hack with this unless it's too slow as I've yet to see any bugs.

dont listen to this guy lol he knows nothing.
pal versions and ntsc versions play the same, it is in no way better.

for the overlay/texture thing, it only aprears in the forest section if i am not mistaken (someone can correct me if i am wrong on this one, been a while since the last time i played it), play it in software mode that will almost always yield correct emulation, after that you can play on hw mode if you like. (F9 is the short cut to sw mode and hw mode toggle)

im sure there is a different solution, but i cant get my life of it what that was Tongue
(01-31-2013, 02:35 AM)WarWeeny Wrote: dont listen to this guy lol he knows nothing.

for the overlay/texture thing, it only aprears in the forest section if i am not mistaken (someone can correct me if i am wrong on this one, been a while since the last time i played it), play it in software mode that will almost always yield correct emulation, after that you can play on hw mode if you like. (F9 is the short cut to sw mode and hw mode toggle)

im sure there is a different solution, but i cant get my life of it what that was Tongue

Wow you foreigners are rude. I'm playing with the Subsistence version of MGS3. I've yet to notice any bugs other than slow down which I'm attributing to an aging 2 core processor.

A quick look at the Compatibility list shows that EVERY PAL MGS are either BLUE or RED but US are GREEN http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html?letter=M (scroll back a page to see MGS2 PAL is BLUE, but US is GREEN. Same goes for Max Payne where PAL version is blue, but US is playable) Jerk.
(01-31-2013, 02:35 AM)WarWeeny Wrote: dont listen to this guy lol he knows nothing.

At the very least there is a 9.94 frames difference. So saying they play exactly the same and no way better untrue. I'm pretty sure I would take 59.94 frames over 50 any day and looking at the compatibility list, it does look like the NTSC version of MGS do have better compatibility. So you might want to lighten up a little bit on the knowing it all without researching anything. It's up to you whether you get offended over my words but either way, that won't make them any less true. For the most part, you definitely help those in need, so i'm by no means trying to attack you but loosen up a bit.
(01-31-2013, 05:15 AM)Sukunda Wrote: At the very least there is a 9.94 frames difference. So saying they play exactly the same and no way better untrue. I'm pretty sure I would take 59.94 frames over 50 any day and looking at the compatibility list, it does look like the NTSC version of MGS do have better compatibility.

its not running on 60 fps lol its 60 VPS, and you are telling me to do research >.> that is something entirely different

(01-31-2013, 02:54 AM)Richard Simmons Wrote: Wow you foreigners are rude. I'm playing with the Subsistence version of MGS3. I've yet to notice any bugs other than slow down which I'm attributing to an aging 2 core processor.

A quick look at the Compatibility list shows that EVERY PAL MGS are either BLUE or RED but US are GREEN http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html?letter=M (scroll back a page to see MGS2 PAL is BLUE, but US is GREEN. Same goes for Max Payne where PAL version is blue, but US is playable) Jerk.

the compatibility list is outdated and not really reliable to begin with
and that it is green doesnt mean there are no glitches in the game >.>

people like you disgust me and is the sole reason to stay away from this site.
''you foreigners'' are you being racist now? and you call me rude and a jerk >.>
to OP, a screenshot of your problem would be nice, i have tried the game and the only thing wrong with it is the lighting (its darker instead of lighter)
no wierd texture overlays
(01-31-2013, 11:54 AM)WarWeeny Wrote: its not running on 60 fps lol its 60 VPS, and you are telling me to do research >.> that is something entirely different
You can say they're entirely different but they aren't really. Whatever makes you feel better I suppose.
(01-31-2013, 01:10 PM)Sukunda Wrote: You can say they're entirely different but they aren't really. Whatever makes you feel better I suppose.

you say 60fps is better then 50 while they dont have a difference in frames because it is not 60 FPS but VPS thus it has nothing to do with the game's speed or fluently

so yes it is an entirely different case.
also tested the us version, same graphics ''problem'' (dark lights instead of white lights in the forest area)
so that wont fix your problem, as i have stated before