Metal Gear Solid 3 help
Hello there. I've been having loads of trouble playing MGS3 (PAL) when it comes to the stability of the fps. No matter what changes i do to the settings i get at most 20 fps. Speed hack did nothing. rendered mode did nothing. keeping resolutions at default did nothing. Does it have anything to do with the PAL Version of the game? Because I can go buy a NTSC format of the game.

Anyways my specs are.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408
XFX Nforce 680i LT
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
4GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Any ideas towards a solution will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored links

Your CPU is rather slow for that game. I'd be inclined to say "too slow".

Use Speedhacks and a modest resolution. That still probably wouldn't give you great speed, but is about the best you could get, short of OCing your CPU or buying a newer (faster) one.
I guess ill clock back up to 3.5GHz. I had to bring it back down to normal due to cooling problems that I didnt fix yet.
Yay! Not only did you not ask "How do I OC?", you've even already done it before! This is a pleasant change of pace, and makes you the one of the best kind of PCSX2-Newbies there is. I bet you've even read the stickies. Wink

I hope you can get that cooling issue taken care of, cause another 1.1Ghz is gonna make a world of a difference. Biggrin

You could try lower on the resolution than default. Check "Native" out. Maybe your GPU is actually limiting at 1024x1024, which would explain why Speedhacks did nothing for you. Hard to imagine a 8800 GTX being limited. Worth a try, anyway.

BTW, have you ever noticed the EE% or GS% (on the titlebar of the game window) peaking at, or near, max when the FPS is low?
I honestly don't remember dude, I spent 5 hours trying to get this to work I forgot what I did and didn't see or try. But I screwed around with everything, including all possible resolutions.
Luckily the only thing I should have to do it get my cooling back to normal is replace my busted 8mm side intake fan.