Metal Gear Solid The Sons of Liberty (NTSC/US)
So, out of curiosity, I decided to find out how MGS2 ran on PCSX2 by looking on youtube. I managed to find some videos and thought "Hey, it runs really well on version 0.96!" and proceeded to do the same. I rip MGS2 with Delta and I open up PCSX2 0.96 r1888 and I get this: [Image: thissucks-1.jpg] What I get is a blank screen, no FPS count, no sound, nothing. Heck, the emulator doesn't even crash. I talked to the person on youtube about his video and he just told me he downloaded it from some torrent site. Something seems really weird here, and I mean really weird. Somehow, this person is able to load an ISO he/she downloaded from a torrent site (which I think is stupid) yet, when I create a legit backup, I can't get it to load. Okay, that makes PERFECT sense to me. Blink

Here are my settings/specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Processor Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE, SSSE3, SSE3, SSE4.1
RAM: 4096MB DDR2 SDRAM PC2 6400
Video: nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1024MB GDDR3

PCSX2 Version: 0.96
Revision: 1888
BIOS: SCPH10000.bin (v 0.160)
Speed Hacks: None
VUCycle Stealing: None
Game Patch(es)Enabled: Star Ocean 3/Square Enix Fix

PCSX2 Plugins -
GPU: GSdx r2693 (SSE41) 0.1.16 DirectX 10.0 (Hardware)
SPU: SPU2-X r2693 (XAudio driver)
DVD-ROM: Linuz ISO CDVD 0.9.0
Input: LilyPad r2591 0.10.0
PS2 DVD Game ID: SLUS_205.54
Game CRC= C539049D
Game Format: .BIN/.ISO

PCSX2 CPU Settings -
EERec: On
VU0rec: On
VU1rec: On
MicroVU0: On
MicroVU1: On
MTGS: On
Frame Limit: Limit

Advanced Settings -
(EERecs Options)
Round Mode: Nearest
Clamp Mode: Full
Flush to Zero/Denormals to Zero: On
(VU Recs Options)
Round Mode: Chop/Zero
Clamp Mode: Extra+ Preserve Sign
Flush to Zero/Denormals to Zero: On

So, what the heck is going on? A side note, I used Delta to rip MGS3 Snake Eater, and that game works fine, so I know I didn't rip MGS2 incorrectly. What could be causing this? I don't expect the game to run perfectly on an emulator, I mostly want to figure out what is causing this, and what options I have that could potentially cause the game to actually load. Out of all the games I have for PCSX2, this is the only one that never loaded properly.

Edit 1: I am not a noob when it comes to emulators (been using them since 1998).

Sponsored links

Do you run the game with the "load ISO" option or with the Linuz ISO cdvd plugin?

Try making the ISO with ImgBurn.

What are delta and that square-enix fix you mention?

You seem to have the first japanese BIOS? As stated in the configuration guide it could cause incompat issues.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(03-24-2010, 02:37 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Do you run the game with the "load ISO" option or with the Linuz ISO cdvd plugin?

Try making the ISO with ImgBurn.

What are delta and that square-enix fix you mention?

You seem to have the first japanese BIOS? As stated in the configuration guide it could cause incompat issues.

Delta ePSXe frontend http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/epsxe.html (bottom of the page) The patch I was referring to the was Star Ocean 3 patch (to prevent SO3 from crashing at the title screen). I tried both via ISO plugin and I loaded the game from File-->Run ISO Image and nothing happened. Oh, and I haven't tired ImgBurn yet....

Edit 3/2
Oh the Tri-Ace fix... disable it, this is not a tri-ace game.

No, ImgBurn is free.
(03-24-2010, 03:24 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Oh the Tri-Ace fix... disable it, this is not a tri-ace game.

No, ImgBurn is free.

Okay, turned the hack off, and used ImgBurn and the bloody thing still doesn't load....WTH?
Could be the BIOS then, try running the game with "run > execute" instead of "file > run cd/dvd".

Edit: Are you even sure it's the Sons of Liberty game? Your Game ID says it's the Substance one according to the compatibility list Oo
(03-24-2010, 05:06 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Could be the BIOS then, try running the game with "run > execute" instead of "file > run cd/dvd".

Edit: Are you even sure it's the Sons of Liberty game? Your Game ID says it's the Substance one according to the compatibility list Oo

Run-->Execute froze the emulator after is showed the "Playstation 2" logo. Very weird indeed. I loaded MGS3 and the PCSX2 log displayed the ID as SLUS_213.59 whereas when I loaded the MGS2 ISO, it identified it as SLUS_205.54 So, I don't know what the crap is going on. I'm seriously on the verge of ripping my hair out.
Sigh...

If it is substance it should be working on a recent PCSX2 0.9.7 alpha (r2700+) revision, so google yourself one or compile it yourself but dont expect support with it here:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Windows-C...nd-Support
It's not substance, it Sons of Liberty. But with the newest version (0.97 r2760), it doesn't work. So, if it doesn't work on either the official or unofficial version, something must be seriously wrong.
Any other suggestions? It doesn't seem fair that other people who use the exact same version as me are able to run it. Blink