Mgs3 Best settings?
Hello! This is my first time using a ps2 emulator, and I must admit, it's the most confusing one I've used yet!

Basically when I loaded an ISO of mgs3, I do believe i've played the slowest game of all time. At some parts it was nice and smooth, then during some cutscenes or some parts of the game, the game goes at about 30% speed. For the purposes of receiving proper help, I've reset all my settings to default.

My PC specs are:
CPU: Intel I-5 3570k @ 3.40Ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660ti
Ram: 8GB
Pcsx2 Version: 1.2.1

If someone out there can lend me a hand with the settings for optimal speed, or if you require additional information, lemme know and i'll try my best to get it asap!

Sponsored links

What are the EE% and GS% readings during slowdowns?
This game should probably run just fine.

For that game you might need at some point the software renderer to fix graphical glitches. This can be toggled using F9. To get a decent speed up in the software mode you have to set the extra rendering threads in gsdx plugin configuration (bottom) to 3 or 4. It could be that the emulator switches automatically to sw mode during cut scenes. Then increasing extra rendering threads will solve your problem.

Nevertheless hardware mode should be faster.
(12-30-2014, 01:06 PM)willkuer Wrote: What are the EE% and GS% readings during slowdowns?

For that game you might need at some point the software renderer to fix graphical glitches. This can be toggled using F9. To get a decent speed up in the software mode you have to set the extra rendering threads in gsdx plugin configuration (bottom) to 3 or 4. It could be that the emulator switches automatically to sw mode during cut scenes. Then increasing extra rendering threads will solve your problem.

Thanks for a swift reply. While I cannot access the game at this time, I believe my EE% dropped down to around 20%. Fps was at a constant 60, and I have no idea what my GS was at.
(12-30-2014, 01:13 PM)Akumati Wrote: Thanks for a swift reply. While I cannot access the game at this time, I believe my EE% dropped down to around 20%. Fps was at a constant 60, and I have no idea what my GS was at.
try the game with software mode +3 rendering threads and, try disabling and enabling MTVU for any possible changes.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-30-2014, 01:21 PM)ssakash Wrote: try the game with software mode +3 rendering threads and, try disabling and enabling MTVU for any possible changes.

Thanks. I've been running in hardware mode all this time, i'll give software a shot.
Slowdowns can happen while using thermal-vision or night-vision goggles.
(12-30-2014, 01:06 PM)willkuer Wrote: What are the EE% and GS% readings during slowdowns?

Hello! Just wanted to get back on you with an update.

Besides default settings, i changed everything to what you recommended.
http://puu.sh/dS03N/123e9aee37.jpg
This was the result in the first cutscene. When I pressed f9 it bumped it back up to 60fps, but later in the cutscene it drops to 40 fps and about 50-60% in both EE and GS.
Have you maxed all speedhacks? Do you use an iso or the disk?

Maybe you can provide the emulog after you saw these slowdowns...

For the moment use gsdx[*]AVX[*].dll as graphics plugin.
This game suffers from slowdowns with my i5-4670k CPU too. It's probably one of the most demanding games on PCSX2 to emulate imo. together with MGS2.

And yeah, there are a lot of graphic issues in Hardware Mode, unfortunately running this game in Software Mode will still require quite a bit of your comp.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(12-31-2014, 02:32 AM)willkuer Wrote: Have you maxed all speedhacks? Do you use an iso or the disk?

Maybe you can provide the emulog after you saw these slowdowns...

For the moment use gsdx[*]AVX[*].dll as graphics plugin.

I use an ISO. How do I provide an emulog?