Mipmapping in GSDx hardware mode
(09-04-2013, 05:29 PM)mr_bigmouth_502 Wrote: I would have to learn how to code first. Tongue But hey, if someone out there wants to give it a shot, I would love to see the results. Laugh

oh, I thought you knew coding since you're suggesting it's quite easy to do...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

I wasn't suggesting it was easy, I was just suggesting that it might be possible.
(09-04-2013, 05:34 PM)mr_bigmouth_502 Wrote: I wasn't suggesting it was easy, I was just suggesting that it might be possible.

might be.
but since it would actually need a complete rewrite of the plugin, I unfortunately think it won't happen soon
Would it actually require a complete rewrite just to implement a small hack, rather than to do things the proper way? If they both require the same amount of effort, I'm all for doing it the proper way, it's just that I thought that some sort of a game-specific texture loading hack would be easier to accomplish.
that's not a simple hack matter...
It's a whole complicated feature to implement
Huh... I know I made a post... it apparently vanished over the last few days... so I'll try again.

This isn't like a buggy layer or a rounding issue or anything else that is essentially "flip a different switch and it's fixed" kind of an issue... Even if you could find a way to skip rendering mipmapping or hack the game's rendering in such a way that it doesn't use it, it would be obscenely complicated and likely only useful for a single game... where in many games use mipmapping to one degree or another. So do you then take the time to create a new hack for every game? That combined effort would likely be more than would be required to "simply" rewrite the texture caching code and anything else needed to make it work in hardware.

It's not that no one wants a solution to this, it's just that the "quick fix" isn't going to be quick and won't be useful overall and it's work that would take away from eventually getting the hardware plugin rewrite done. In the mean time, there is a perfectly good work around (software mode). It's slower, yes but the game is playable with it.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Well, I've kind of gotten used to the lack of mipmapping, and on my system R&C:GC is actually pretty playable in hardware mode. A bit slow still, but definitely playable.
wish they would do the rewrite, been following PCSX2 for a long time my favorite series of games Ace Combat, and Armored Core both suffer from lack of Mipmapping support, while yes I can play them in software, I really wanted to upscale and play in HD.... any word from gregory on if he plans to do a rewrite?
Necro.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
The only thing gregory said was to my knowledge that a complete rewrite is not needed. The current code is already quite powerful.

One should not forget that everything is possible to emulate. It might just require much more performance than expected. Looking at the fixed snowblind games where many user reported better speed in sw mode than in hw mode one has to guess the benefits of correct mipmapping support.

Even if it works in hw it doesnt mean it is performance wise acceptable.