Moding the PS2
Hello - I am in the process of trying to take something from my PS2 but I understand that to read the disk used to take that something I need to modify the PS2. How do i go about doing this? What are my options?

Cheers

Sponsored links

Uh... could you try to explain better what exactly is it you're trying to do?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Im trying to take something out of it which will allow my Mac to act as an emulator for the PS2. I have a CD which has an .iso burnt to it. The PS2 can't read the CD instead it throws up - "Please insert a PS2 format disk."

I have done some searching and I understand that you need to modify the PS2 in order to run these CD's. I would like to know how others on this forum have moded their PS2 in order to run these disks.
(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: Im trying to take something out of it which will allow my Mac to act as an emulator for the PS2.
You can't take anything out of it.

(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: I have a CD which has an .iso burnt to it. The PS2 can't read the CD instead it throws up - "Please insert a PS2 format disk."

That's normal in two ways:
1.If you mean that you have one file on the disk with .iso extension,then that's completely normal even if you can run backups.
2.If you mean normally burned game(with a lot of files inside,not just one with .iso extension),if you don't have a way to run backups,that message will appear

(01-21-2011, 01:16 PM)Katana24 Wrote: I have done some searching and I understand that you need to modify the PS2 in order to run these CD's. I would like to know how others on this forum have moded their PS2 in order to run these disks.
There are 3 ways:
1.By using Swap Magic(purchased)
2.By soldering a modchip inside the PS2
3.By installing softmod into your memory card if your PS2 is not one of the newest slim models(this one requires a way to run backups...if someone else have a way to run them and have the same region PS2 as yours).
Edit: What he said Laugh
Swap magic is the easiest, least risky option. I would recommend getting the replacement fliplid (for the fat ps2) or magickey (for slim) so you don't ruin your tray motor though ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Cheers all for quick reply - I actually meant that the CD had a special file designed to extract something from the PS2.
I'll let you all know how I get on Tongue
Are you talking about the bios dumper
Yeah, the BIOS dumper Tongue2

Okay, I also recommend what ref did before:

- Swap Magic (bought) will work well.
- Also good but needs a friend with an already modded console: Ask him to install FreeMCBoot for you.
I hate Swap Magic, it's just too much of a hassle to use frequently. Modding or HDLoader FTW. And I don't even pirate if I can avoid it.