More FPS = Faster loading time but..
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and all that PCSX2 stuff (but im not new to emulator, such a epsxe, dolphin etc..) anyway, I have a question for you guys.

I'm a true survival-horror fan games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil (1,2,3) etc..

I am currently playing Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare which is very similar to RE and SH.

PC Spec: I5 3570k @ 3.4ghz / 8gb 1600mhz / gtx 660Ti 2GB / asus 27inch 144hz

The thing is, in those kind of games, when you open up a door, there's a loading time (often) and it takes a good 10 sec to load to the next room. Not game breaking but I would say that "immersion" is bad.

So the thing is, this is the PAL version and it runs at like 60fps (or 50fps whatever, doesn't change anything).
If I press tab I get up to 120FPS, which I look like speedhacking but the loading time is a bit faster.

If I press F4 (ultra mega turbo mode thing) I get up to 200FPS and now the loading time are almost non-existant, which is freaking AWESOME but the game is unplayable.

Is there a way to decrease loading time automatically or do I have to press F4 on each door im opening ?

It would be nice to have an auto-feature that could do that.. or if that exist, please inform me.

PS: This also work on any other games, F4 = Raise FPS = Decrease loading time.

Thanks!

Sponsored links

Well, the Tab key is indeed a turbo function, it doubles the FPS case the machine can get to that speed (in the default settings). Shift + Tab does the inverse and plays in slowmotion, might be useful in some situations. The amount to increase the speed or reduce it can be tweaked at the emulation settings -> GS. the base should not be changed (kept at 100%). 200% obviously doubles the FPS (when possible) and 50% halves it.

F4 just toggles the frame limiter, meaning the emulation will run as fast as the machine can do.

Yet, in both cases the timings are messed, use it with caution.
Imagination is where we are truly real
So for example, there's no way for me to play the game at 60fps and when I get to a loading screen, it does the F4 automatically ? So I can skip all those Loading time.

Honestly, its pretty useful to press F4 to skip loading in games but its a bit distracting hehe
There is not such function by now. What can be automated is playing the cutscenes in software mode, which is necessary in some games. The emulator returns to hardware mode as soon it's over.

For now, you must suffer the load time (which could be greater at PS2 itself due to reading from the disk instead an ISO), or using the F4. Yet is advisable not doing it, you know, it's loading time, may be better not taking chances of it becoming corrupted by timing issues.

Edit: Due to the reason pointed above, is not very probably the devs implementing it so soon, not without extensive testing at least.
Imagination is where we are truly real
the fast loading time speedhack is made for this.
unfortunately, it's not recommended to use it due to the normal way a PS2 works. This could cause desynchronisation problems and thus, game crashes.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I realize it's not recommended but I ALWAYS have fast disc loading on(unless I'm trying to sort out an issue) and I've NEVER had an issue. My guess is the only games that would have a problem are the ones that on a real PS2 in HD loader need the setting to limit the speed to real PS2 disc speed.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well thanks for the answers guys! Smile

I will keep playing with those loading time, I mean, its still faster than my old ps2, since I load iso directly from my HDD.

Would there be a big difference in loading time if I switch it on an SSD or its the emulator that is "limited" ?

Thanks.
(04-29-2014, 08:29 PM)axo Wrote: Well thanks for the answers guys! Smile

I will keep playing with those loading time, I mean, its still faster than my old ps2, since I load iso directly from my HDD.

Would there be a big difference in loading time if I switch it on an SSD or its the emulator that is "limited" ?

Thanks.

Won't make a difference, the speed at which a hard disk retrieves data is many times over that of a simple DVD, thus the better speed. Putting the game in an SSD will only contribute to wasting space.
(04-29-2014, 10:44 PM)Coornio Wrote: Won't make a difference, the speed at which a hard disk retrieves data is many times over that of a simple DVD, thus the better speed. Putting the game in an SSD will only contribute to wasting space.

That's what I tough.. wasn't sure.

Thanks!