Moving memory cards across computers.
I recently built a new computer and im trying to move my memory cards over but when i move them they move un formatted and i have no idea why they do. Does anyone know why?

Sponsored links

no idea.
should be just a matter of copy/paste
did you import your inis, or did you configure pcsx2 from scratch on your new rig ?
Are you sure you configured the correct memcard path ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-24-2015, 03:11 AM)Ninjek Wrote: I recently built a new computer and im trying to move my memory cards over but when i move them they move un formatted and i have no idea why they do. Does anyone know why?
Yeah, there should be no problem. Just copy/paste the memcards folder to your new rig's pcsx2 directory.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-24-2015, 09:36 AM)jesalvein Wrote: no idea.
should be just a matter of copy/paste
did you import your inis, or did you configure pcsx2 from scratch on your new rig ?
Are you sure you configured the correct memcard path ?
I moved my entire directory and have made sure that the path is correct. The memcards seem to unformat when i copy them onto an external device.
Maybe it has to do with the compressing of Memory Cards. Assuming it's enabled; (you can check by seeing if the color of the filename is currently blue in your folder, indicating it's enabled):

Rightclick the memory card file you're trying to copy, 'Properties', then click Advanced. In here uncheck 'Compress content to save Disk Space' if it's checked, so that you disable it. Then try again.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(01-25-2015, 02:32 AM)Ryudo Wrote: Maybe it has to do with the compressing of Memory Cards. Assuming it's enabled; (you can check by seeing if the color of the filename is currently blue in your folder, indicating it's enabled):

Rightclick the memory card file you're trying to copy, 'Properties', then click Advanced. In here uncheck 'Compress content to save Disk Space' if it's checked, so that you disable it. Then try again.

I don't think you're supposed to mess with the compression of the memory cards. The .mcd itself is supposed to be a standard size because it simulates the capacity of the usual PS2 memory.
Compression is something that just makes it not use the full 8MB on your HDD. It doesn't matter if it's enabled or not, it won't damage the Save Files (tested this out), but it could possibly interfere with the moving around of files maybe.

^As you can see there. Size on disk is only 4.85MB due to the compression taking place. Instead of 8MB. But the file itself is still the default capacity of a PS2 memory card.
Either way he should give it a try. It won't cause any actual harm, and it'll rule out a possible cause again if it doesn't work.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
(01-25-2015, 04:10 AM)Ryudo Wrote: Compression is something that just makes it not use the full 8MB on your HDD. It doesn't matter if it's enabled or not, it won't damage the Save Files (tested this out), but it could possibly interfere with the moving around of files maybe.

^As you can see there. Size on disk is only 4.85MB due to the compression taking place. Instead of 8MB. But the file itself is still the default capacity of a PS2 memory card.
Either way he should give it a try. It won't cause any actual harm, and it'll rule out a possible cause again if it doesn't work.
I tried uncompressing it before I moved the folder and it didn't change anything. I think it might unformat as i move it to the external drive. Maybe theres some setting related to that that i have no idea about?
Does it happen when you upload it and download it instead on the other computer? Rather than moving it to the external drive. Maybe there's something on the external drive causing it then. Try using dropbox or sendspace.
What do you observe if you open the memcard with mymc?