Mr Random is making a new Frontend
@Canes. They hit the [Close] button. But i do believe the question :"Did this game play well?" is pretty hard to misunderstand.

Yes a fair degree of abstraction away from the emulator internals is a must meet a proper improvement.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60156]

And if you click any of the rating buttons. You will be prompted with another.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=60157]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

I honestly don't think all of that is necessary. It would be better if you just keep it simple like in your OP and update the GUI only without the extra stuff of 'uploading current settings', or asking whether the game played well, etc.

That's just my personal opinion on the matter though. Others might want that feature.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
OK i am 5 posts behind already, suddenly i get the attention.

@FlatOut stay classy.
@ssakash i could have used that information like a week ago...
@Ryudo i probably conveyed the wrong message, i do that a lot. specifically the rig info mentioned was just hypothetically. And yes.
@Akio abstraction is never simple Tongue
@bomblord you're cute lol

Ok so many people dislike the prompt. Frankly i would hate the prompt too. But adding literally click 1 (and zero loading time) for the greater good.. Every man for himself.

Don't worry. I'll trash the prompt idea and we'll never speak of it again.

Lets step back a little. My experience with pcsx2 when i get a new game looks a little like this:

1. open game
  2. discover glitches (if any then)
  3. go to forums and find the correct setup
  4. input settings (and possibly screwing up other games)
  5. repeat 1
I want to reduce this workflow for new games and newcomers to

1. open game
That's it. One step. If we have a collection of settings we CAN achieve this
(or at least for 80% of the users. There's always gonna be a funky rig that needs some funky settings but that's none of my business)

PCSX2Bonus keeps a copy of ALL .ini files in pcsx2 and loads the settings with the chosen iso. I still the initial setup but after that is easy peasy to start any game.
Another vote for leaving "Phone home" out. A frontend that can improve what's already there without any new features, that'd be welcome.
Maybe save game settings under the game's name.ini and load it when the iso is selected or the game started.
(06-11-2016, 09:14 PM)Ryudo Wrote: I honestly don't think all of that is necessary. It would be better if you just keep it simple like in your OP and update the GUI only without the extra stuff of 'uploading current settings', or asking whether the game played well, etc.

That's just my personal opinion on the matter though. Others might want that feature.

Didn't see your response in time.

I will make the simple design. However i can't put in the artwork without discussing thoroughly first. Still better than nothing.

And the "feature". Nobody wants that feature. In the long run it could bring pcsx2 closer to "working out of the box".
(06-11-2016, 09:45 PM)Canes Wrote: Another vote for leaving "Phone home" out. A frontend that can improve what's already there without any new features, that'd be welcome.
Maybe save game settings under the game's name.ini and load it when the iso is selected or the game started.

where not talking about uploading anymore.

the .ini.. I showed in the beginning that this is exactly what Dolphin does.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60052]

but saving in a sqlite or .ini makes no different or actually it makes a little difference. File size for one is significantly smaller with sqlite since all the overhead/filepadding is gone and most the types are their native types. Also you run into maintenance problems since an ini doesn't really impose much structure to follow. You can write anything, which also means anything can go wrong.
Go with whatever's faster and less prone to issues/bugs, obviously.

One lightweight feature I'd really like is tracking total game playing time, if it would be possible.
(06-11-2016, 10:38 PM)CyberFox Wrote: where not talking about uploading anymore.

the .ini.. I showed in the beginning that this is exactly what Dolphin does.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=60052]

but saving in a sqlite or .ini makes no different or actually it makes a little difference. File size for one is significantly smaller with sqlite since all the overhead/filepadding is gone and most the types are their native types. Also you run into maintenance problems since an ini doesn't really impose much structure to follow. You can write anything, which also means anything can go wrong.
I still don't see what the point of this is. Why do we need to lump patches, widescreen hacks, and configs into one file? They already work fine as their own separate systems. Cheats and WS hacks are basically "static files" loaded with the CRC but the VU configurations and ect can be altered during runtime. I think you'd have a harder time getting the emu to read it as a single file than just leaving it in the current state.

TL;DR, it just seems like an unnecessary amount of work for a gain that isn't really visible to the average user.
(06-11-2016, 10:50 PM)Canes Wrote: Go with whatever's faster and less prone to issues/bugs, obviously.

One lightweight feature I'd really like is tracking total game playing time, if it would be possible.

PCSX2Bonus already has this feature, so there's no reason it shouldn't be possible again to implement.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(06-12-2016, 01:43 AM)Ryudo Wrote: PCSX2Bonus already has this feature, so there's no reason it shouldn't be possible again to implement.

Oh yeah, PCSX2Bonus. Now there's a frontend that's needlessly convoluted and ugly to look at. Super glad it didn't get integrated into an official build.
Do we really need cover pics included in every frontend ever created, can't we just have a good old list in plain text on a classic windows theme. That would make everything nice and snappy.