Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Wi-Fi routers broadcasting the same Wi-Fi network
The title sound somewhat stupid to the experts, perhaps. I must admit that I have little knowledge about networking. I cannot tell modem, router, and access point apart (reading about them on Wikipedia messes my head up). I will try to explain my situation so everyone can understand what I actually want to ask.

My new house is between my cousin's and uncle's houses. I have a modem (which receives input from the LINE cable and output data via Ethernet cable) and a wireless router (connected to the "modem", and broadcasts a Wi-Fi network). I want to share my Wi-Fi network with my cousin and uncle, but today, after I set up everything, the signal strength was too weak because of the thick walls. Except for nearby rooms, my Wi-Fi network was not visible to them.

I intend to buy and set up 2 additional routers (or whatever it is called) in their houses. Of course I can connect them to the free Ethernet ports of my current Wi-Fi router and set up additional networks, but I want them to broadcast a single Wi-Fi network so my uncle can share his printer. I think share resources are not visible if we are connected to different Wi-Fi network.

My question are what devices should I buy and how to do it?

P.S: I already did some Googling but the preliminary results are so technical that I hardly understand them all. I will continue searching but I still want to know your answers.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60

Sponsored links

Rather than doing that, get a signal amplifier, probably a 500 milliwatt one, and use a high-gain omni-directional antenna. An amplifier is something that plugs into your wireless router where the antennas usually go. The antenna would then plug into the amplifier. I guess someone else could explain it better to you, as I have a hard time "dumbing down" my explanations.
Buy a wireless router that give you long range and strong signal then the access point to further extend your signal or broadcast so your relatives connect to it. But really, if they want the internet, they should cough up the money. Sharing is bad because they will eat up your bandwidth Wink
There is something also called "signal repeaters", take a look on that too.
They already have their own Internet connections. But theirs are slower than mine and cost more than mine as well (I have a special discount).

I had a look at signal amplifier and repeater. They are not only hard to find in local stores but also more expensive than the multiple access points scenario. Sad In my old company with around 500 employees, I saw the IT department used multiple access points to broadcast the same SSID. There must be a reason for that.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
I have not done something with the amplifier and antenna thing in years, but it seems to have gotten more expensive to do that. You could do what virgin said, and use the other routers to rebroadcast the network at their places. It was explained how to do that in the Q&A of a recent edition of Computer Power User. In the November edition I believe.
VIRGIN KIM recommends Wireless Repeater. That thing costs around $30 in my place and is hard to find. Your amplifier thing costs not less than $100 and is hard to find as well. Sad

My decision is using additional Wireless Routers/Wireless Access Points. A budget one costs only $15.
What I was saying was to set up that router in repeater mode. However, a cheap $15 router probably does not have the signal strength to be a repeater, nor for what you wish to do, and it probably lacks the option to set it in repeater mode. Just look around though, you might find one. Just check to see if the router you want supports repeater mode. It will make everything so much simpler.
These stuff are not cheap either way so speaking about them means that you have already got ready to give some $$ around. Ebay is your friend btw... Tongue2
guys don't repeaters and amplifiers and all that range increasing crap ( other than a professional router ) increase latency big time ?

and 100$ amplifier where the hell are you living in Tongue

here is only 25$ Ohmy

however there is something called "Cantena" which is a directional antenna that i made from WI-FI receiver which "should" increase receiving range up to 20 times

i will catch a link it's a 2$ thing for low budget people like us

Edit : here it is : cantenna_directional_antenna_with_gain [Aircrack-ng]

P.S do the instruction VERY accurately and it's quite easy Smile