My PCSX2 session starts great but after 5 min or so, it starts to lag frequently.
Hey guys, just needed some help with this. I really appreciate your time in reading this post and sharing some of your ideas regarding this matter.

First of all, this is my laptop specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30 Ghz (Can be raised to 2.8 Ghz)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 540M 2GB
RAM: 2GB DDR3 Memory

My PCSX2 version is: Pcsx2 version 1.1.0.5608(svn)
My GS plugin is: GSdx32-SSE4-r5613
My SPU2 plugin is: SPU2-X r5324 2.0.0
I run the games via ISO.
I have speedhacks on, and most of the settings in other areas are in low in favor of better performance.

I start playing a game, for example, Final Fantasy XII. The first 5 minutes or so is terrific. Stable FPS and decent sounds. No lagging or any glitches. After 5 min or more, the game starts to lag frequently from the stable 60 fps to 25 - 30 fps. Then after 10 seconds or more it rises up to 60 fps again. Then after 20 seconds or more it drops to the 25-30 fps mark. This always occurs even if I am not moving the character in the game(even in areas with less elements). It goes on and on like that until I close the program.

I read some articles about adjusting the power plans. I set the minimum processor state to 100% and looked for more about the power managements. But the same thing still happens...

I do not have an AMD processor so I think my laptop doesn't have the cool and quiet thingy. Do Intel processors have an equivalent to that in the BIOS? Should I turn something off? Does anyone experience this as well? If you have solved it, pls help me.. My desktop runs PCSX2 perfectly but it has a weak hardware.. My laptop[/size][/font] is the only capable rig here.
If you have any solution.. pls help me.. Sad

Sponsored links

Sounds like overheating..try running coretemp while running PCSX2 and check your temperatures
[Image: newsig.jpg]
@Bositman

Even before I tweaked anything regarding the power managements, this still always occurs... Sad

(04-16-2013, 10:49 AM)Bositman Wrote: Sounds like overheating..try running coretemp while running PCSX2 and check your temperatures

@Bositman

Even before I tweaked anything regarding the power managements, this still always occurs... Sad
What does changing power management have to do with overheating? Please check it.
(04-16-2013, 11:43 AM)Bositman Wrote: What does changing power management have to do with overheating? Please check it.

@Bositman

I ran coretemp with pcsx2 as you said, the maximum temp reached was 84 C , the I saw that the frequency from 2900 Mhz suddenly drops to 700 Mhz.. thats what causes the lagging.. Do you have any recommendations or solutions?
Check to see if your exhaust fan is clogged with dust and try cleaning it with some compressed air can. If that doesn't help, maybe a cooling pad could help you
(04-16-2013, 12:07 PM)seyahtan24 Wrote: @Bositman

I ran coretemp with pcsx2 as you said, the maximum temp reached was 84 C , the I saw that the frequency from 2900 Mhz suddenly drops to 700 Mhz.. thats what causes the lagging.. Do you have any recommendations or solutions?

You have already the answer, the CPU will be throttled down at this value to prevent damage. The previous recommendations from Bositman are more valid then ever. Only getting better air flowing and so cooling is going to help in this case.
Imagination is where we are truly real
But opening a laptop to clean out the dust of the CPU Cooler? That seems to be a big no no to me if you ask me.
(04-16-2013, 03:04 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: But opening a laptop to clean out the dust of the CPU Cooler? That seems to be a big no no to me if you ask me.

May be a necessity, doesn't mean this must be done by the user himself, that's the case to get the laptop to a technician or maintenance shop to repair.

Anyway, there is no warranty the coolers are dusty, might be the whole thing is just poorly designed airflow wise...
Imagination is where we are truly real
What is u'r cpu usage when it's idle,no programs running? Is it stay between 5 or 10%? If it raising to 30% or above.maybe u'r computer have a virus & when u start pcsx2 it goes to 100% & start struggling,so here heat issue starts (i'm not sure,it's just my thinking,sorry for my english) check cpu usage when idle & also when pcsx2 running!!