Poll: Is what I have decided OK for my tastes?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My future PC
I'm planning to buy a desktop computer I've set up myself for Christmas, but I don't want to go above 1100-1200 euros. Here are the specifications:

MB: I haven't decided yet. Any which would do well with my current settings? I was thinking Zotac X58SLI-A-E.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.6 GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850
RAM: 3 x 2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Dominator

Also what about the overclockability of the CPU and GPU? Can I reach a stable 3.5 GHz OC, using that CPU?

I haven't decided what coolers, what HDD, what case and power output to use, and etcetera. I already have an HDD, a case (once again I have no idea what case it is, all that's written on it is Cone, and Antec Design), a case cooler, an Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO (550 Watt Output), but I'm not sure if they will be compatible with my settings. How do I find out what I have? Also, what can I get in that list which is compatible with my current PC? So that I can get some parts earlier, other parts later.

Please comment! Thanks in advance.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

Sponsored links

I run mine at 3.4, and it's stable. I'm sure taking it to 3.5 wouldn't make much difference, if any at all.
[Image: ayusignew.jpg]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM in Triple Channel | GeForce GTX 285
2.5 TB Hard Drive Space | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Official betatester of PCSX2
You know, you config is pretty strange. Do you really need 6Gb of memory? And i7 920 is not a good choice, i7 860 -- faster, quicker and ovcerclockable for the same price. And 1156 CPU's use dual-channel memory, so you could buy only 4Gb of memory.

p.S. Good motherboards have one noticeable item: Marvel or Intell Ethernet controller. Realtek and Atheros -- is prety cheap and lame.
duper12345:
I'd buy this as well, nice choices everywhere. Just make sure you get the new revision cpu (D0 step iirc), so it overclocks nicely.

In regards what to get first, you definitely need the new mainoard + cpu + ram.
But I suppose you can go with 1 ram stick first, then get the other 2 later.
Oh, and consider a SSD for your system drive. Makes sense to have one in this system Tongue2

Zeydlitz:
This config is very common for an i7 setup. The tripple channel interface asks for 3 * 2GB ram sticks.
The 920 uses the better socket (thinking of future upgrades), and when overclocked this cpu is faster (all the 860 does to get faster is overclocking as well Wink ).
And what's that about the ethernet controller? I mean these things just work, no matter what brand they come from Tongue2
Quote:The 920 uses the better socket (thinking of future upgrades)
See no big difference: for 1366 user could upgrade to pretty lame i9 6-cores CPU, $1000 i7 extreme or i7-950. But new Intell CPU's are planned to be 1156-sockets, i7-870 has the similar speed as i7-950. And what's matter more: i860 are working and 3.2GHz without overclocking (on linux, with load average 1.5), so it's just a bit slower than i7-920 overclocked to 3.4. And i5-670 (on 3.4GHz) should be the same price as i7-920 (so it could be faster).

Quote:And what's that about the ethernet controller? I mean these things just work, no matter what brand they come from Tongue
Well, gigabyte ethernet is not-so-easy thing, as many thought (although end-user could not see the diffetence without comparison). Realteck's used to have a 0.3sec hang-off when high loaded and does not like, when sobody use mass-UDP (and marvell's answering on ping's faster, trully). There is also a lot of cases, such as break-up SSL connections and so more. What's important, that many MB nowadays use to have 2 gigabits ethernet, that's made controller slightly more important.
Thank you generalplot, Zeydlitz and rama for your help!

However, I'm not sure what to buy now. If I change my CPU, I'm definitely going to have to choose a different motherboard. I believe that after 2-4 more years, the i7-920 will downgrade to decent, but when that happens I'm going to buy a new computer anyway. i7 or i5?

How do I know if I'm getting the new revision i7-920 CPU?

I went for the 5850 because it seems to be an outstanding performer, and doesn't cost that much at all.

So, just with stock cooling I should reach those speeds? Nice. What if I get actual coolers myself? How much would I be able to OC? And what do you personally recommend, of course I don't want to pay 200 euros just for them though. CPU coolers only, or case coolers too?

I've read about the motherboard I was thinking of buying, and it seems to be a failure. If you have any motherboard to suggest for the CPU I've decided to choose, please do. Socket 1336 or 1156?

Why would I want more than a 4 core CPU? If I've read correctly, going above that number is useless on single applications. I'm not going to run, say, 2 instances of PCSX2 at once or something like that. I don't even know why I would want to do that. Seems like a waste of money unless I want to play more games at once or render videos and play games. I only do those once at a time.

An SSD drive? Alright, I've looked for some but they cost SO MUCH! Sorry, but I don't think I'll be getting that. (they're more than the CPU and GPU!)

The 1336 is better than the 1166 socket in terms of overclockability, and CrossFire support, yes. But the 1166 socket is newer. Of course I'm going to go for 1336 socket, for now. As I've said, in 4 years I'm going to upgrade again, but by then there will be a newer socket than the 1166.

What could I get from that setup to work on my current PC? I know I can't get the CPU for it, I know that I can't get the RAM for it... Can I get the GPU for it? XD

Thanks in advance!

PS: what case do you suggest? and will my current power output (Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550 Watt), do ok with those? I don't intend on using dual GPUs, because that costs far too much.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

yeah that antec is ok if you dont go for multi GPU
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
I'd be cautious about buying the ATI 5xxx series until it's been out for a while and people see how it really performs. Very first gen DX11 card, might have lots of issues.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
First about SSD -- you better don't play with this. It SSD does not like computer reboot (I lost a lot of data per crush-reboot), so for gaming machine, that would be overclocked and often would be under high load, it doe not good solution.

About power. If YOU chose i7-920 (135W) and 5850 (151W) and nice motherboard (usually 27W) and hard disk -- you would gain more than 340W eater system, that's require 400W as minimum usefull load for you power block. So you 550VA system (80% usefull load) would be enough. But for overcloking both CPU and GPU -- it could not be enough (well, it's up to you). i7-820 is 95W, it's -35W, or 60VA on power block.

Quote:Why would I want more than a 4 core CPU? If I've read correctly, going above that number is useless on single applications. I'm not going to run, say, 2 instances of PCSX2 at once or something like that. I don't even know why I would want to do that. Seems like a waste of money unless I want to play more games at once or render videos and play games. I only do those once at a time.
To be honest, even 4 cores are does not usable for a average person, and on gaming task it's almost 99% useless. It is why I prefer i5 with 2(cores)+2(HT) with grandioso 3.4GHz and 73W power consumption for all other Core i7 family. But it would appear only in january.
I still highly recommend the i7. The power it has is insane. 1M SuperPI test completed in 10 seconds, where my E6600 (which was clocked to 3.4 as well) took 17 seconds. DVD Shrink of a dual layer (7.8 GB) movie to single layer in 3 and a half minutes. Playback of a 1080i (.ts) video file with deinterlacing enabled uses 3% CPU. And at it's price, the 920 is pretty hard to beat.
[Image: ayusignew.jpg]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM in Triple Channel | GeForce GTX 285
2.5 TB Hard Drive Space | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Official betatester of PCSX2