Myst 3: Exile -- graphics issue.
Hi everyone, first post here and hopefully this will be an easy one.

Without going into too much detail, I received a pleasant surprise when I was digging through some old stuff in my closet, I found my old copy of Myst 3: Exile.

The moment I saw it, it brought back some good memories, and I happily fired it up in my PS3... to my surprise it still worked! Biggrin

Now, here's the thing. I have a (roughly) eight hour flight coming up next month, and I would love to take this game along with me to help pass the time, so I copied the disc to my laptop drive and installed version 1.0.0 of PCSX2 -- which I believe is the latest.

However when I start the game, the graphics are all mixed and jumbled. For example... the ceiling is on the wall and the floor is on the ceiling. The Audio plays fine, as does movement, framerate and everything else is perfect. -- but the game is unplayable due to the mixed up graphics.

I have included a screenshot of the problem along with my computer details below.

Things I have tried before posting here:
- Disabling all speedhacks and game fixes
- Switching to "Interpreter" for everything
- Switching from ZZOGL to GsDX and back again

Nothing seems to work, but since I am not a guru or anything near it, I am reaching out to you fine folks here for help.

System details:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.12 GHz
4 GB RAM
Geforce 9800m GS (512 MB)
Linux 3.2.0-23-generic SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here is the screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img688/5937/scree...211171.png

If you need any more info, let me know.

Sponsored links

Use default setting (in particular not interpreter). Then select GSdx SW renderer. It is the best setting for rendering accuraccy.
And if you have access to Windows on that Laptop, use the Windows version.
It is faster and better supported still than the Linux one.
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I tried both ZZOGL and GsDX before asking here, and both of them render the same way as in the screenshot.
As for using the Interpreter, I tried that only because I was desperate Laugh I usually use the MicroVU Re-compiler. Either way they all produce the same results. However just to be sure, I went into the settings and clicked "Restore Defaults" and Applied the changes, rebooted, and it's still the same.

I assume that since the second suggestion was to install Windows, that you are basically telling me that getting this to work on Linux is a dead-end and the equivalent of being hit in the head repeatedly with a sledgehammer?

Is that really the only other option?

EDIT:
I asked my friend to bring over his PS2 games, we tried two of them and they both work fine, so it looks like this issue is related specifically to Myst 3. Sad I would still like to get Myst 3 working though if it is at all possible, since I can't take his games with me.
You did try GSdx SW mode, right? Also, are you using the proprietary GPU drivers?
(11-18-2012, 07:16 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: You did try GSdx SW mode, right? Also, are you using the proprietary GPU drivers?
Hi,

Yes and yes. The GsDX experimental Hardware mode does not work well at all, so software mode is the only one I can try, and I did indeed try it.

Proprietary GPU drivers, yes: Nvidia 295.49 -- the newer versions do not play well with Xorg for me.
I tested this game on Linux. Able to duplicate the problem on the PPA version without any clear solution. Old GSdx SDL version made the game crash outright. I'm afraid you are out of luck for now until we het better drivers (both Nvidia and AMD) for Linux
(11-19-2012, 04:54 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: I tested this game on Linux. Able to duplicate the problem on the PPA version without any clear solution. Old GSdx SDL version made the game crash outright. I'm afraid you are out of luck for now until we het better drivers (both Nvidia and AMD) for Linux

Thank you for trying, it lets me know that at least it is not a mistake on my end.
A bit of a let down that it doesn't work... I don't suppose they'll let me take my ps3 an a mini LCD TV on-board with me. Laugh

Oh well, fingers crossed for the next version.