NTSC vs PAL
Which one run better on PCSX2 ? For example which one will run faster Final Fantasy X PAL version or the NTSC version ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored links

Just use whatever you've got on the disc.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
in terms of emulation, you'll have better chances to make ffx Pal run at full speed due to its native fps limitation (50hz)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-02-2009, 04:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: in terms of emulation, you'll have better chances to make ffx Pal run at full speed due to its native fps limitation (50hz)
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but wouldn't an NTSC game at 50 FPS play as good as PAL at 50?
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
don't think so, as an NTSC game is designed to run at 60fps. Means 50fps is below its normal speed.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
There is not difference between PAL and NTSC fps in terms of performance. If you get 40fps from PAL50 then you will get 50fps from NTSC60 and there will be no difference in speed between the two.
the Pal version of FFX had slight graphical problems earlier but I think they were fixed in the latest builds. So you can use any version that is at your disposal.
Someone should use search. It was discussed millions times before. By the way do you have any choice? People don't usually buy import games.
Back to the topic. I have a PAL version of GoW2, but I tested NTSC version of my friend recently. There is no any performance boost in PAL. GoW2 runs on 80%-95% of fullspeed in both cases on my PC. So if the game runs on 51 fps in NTSC it runs on 43 fps in PAL.
(06-02-2009, 05:44 PM)redlof Wrote: There is not difference between PAL and NTSC fps in terms of performance. If you get 40fps from PAL50 then you will get 50fps from NTSC60 and there will be no difference in speed between the two.
the Pal version of FFX had slight graphical problems earlier but I think they were fixed in the latest builds. So you can use any version that is at your disposal.

That's not exact as I've been testing different versions of the same game...

There are PAL versions that will have a worse emulation due to the crappy conversion that the companies offers us, but in the other hand, when that conversion is decent (without any strange code or trick in it), pcsx2 can run it as well as it was NTSC, and less forced because it only has to reach the 50 FPS limit.
(06-02-2009, 05:59 PM)tiku Wrote: There are PAL versions that will have a worse emulation due to the crappy conversion that the companies offers us, [...]

To be fair to the conversions, the cause of the PAL versions being slower to emulate usually has little or nothing to do with conversion quality. Typically PAL games are slower because the games "fill in" the new found idle time with things that Pcsx2 struggles with: short and tight idle loops. The INTC_STAT hack likely fixes some of those cases, but there are other types of spin loops that Pcsx2 doesn't have the ability to detect yet. In any case, using spins like that aren't bad in PS2 terms, only in Pcsx2 terms. Wink

In any case, I'm sort of tired of the PAL vs. NTSC questions too. If someone's a games collector (and I know a few), and want to shop around for some imports on e-bay, fine. And in that case you probably want to favor NTSC versions unless the PAL version has specific features you're after; such as translations (Multi5) or special features. But if you're a games collector you probably already know that stuff anyway.

Closed.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team