Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need Help with Chip 8 emu and output(openGL).
I have written a crappy chip8 emulator, with a few opcodes. I have attached the source. I've added some openGL code, I see a window, but no output, can someone help me. School opens tomorrow, I'll be pretty busy from then on.

Attached Files
.rar   Chip 8.rar (Size: 44,43 KB / Downloads: 65)

Sponsored links

You sure are in a hurry to write it Tongue
"few" opcodes? you need to emulate them ALL before you get something... even if you ignore the carry situations in the math instructions, you need them all... (if not most).

are you even sure it should be displaying something? have you written a little test for your opengl forcing it to draw a line or something to make sure that code works?
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
ohh my... just jumping into GL is a major fault. how about stretchdibbits to a simple window first. it's a 2D monochrome palette bitmap damn. what you need openGL or kinda like for that? *rollseyes*

btw... just noticed the case 0x0004: and case 0x0333: will never be reached if you mask the opcode with 0xF000.
(04-16-2012, 08:49 PM)refraction Wrote: "few" opcodes? you need to emulate them ALL before you get something... even if you ignore the carry situations in the math instructions, you need them all... (if not most).

are you even sure it should be displaying something? have you written a little test for your opengl forcing it to draw a line or something to make sure that code works?

That's why I need help, I used the multigesture.net tutorial and that's where I got, the code. So I am going to code all the rest of the opcodes.

(04-16-2012, 11:10 PM)xstyla Wrote: ohh my... just jumping into GL is a major fault. how about stretchdibbits to a simple window first. it's a 2D monochrome palette bitmap damn. what you need openGL or kinda like for that? *rollseyes*

btw... just noticed the case 0x0004: and case 0x0333: will never be reached if you mask the opcode with 0xF000.

I do not understand what you mean and hey, what about, the 0xF000 stuff?
You REALLY need to go away and learn how to program before you do this. You are obviously not ready.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(04-17-2012, 06:10 PM)refraction Wrote: You REALLY need to go away and learn how to program before you do this. You are obviously not ready.

Really, what is it that I don't understand? Apart from the openGL library.
read a book about programming. first of all there's a plan. and they usually start with some textbased standard console apps. some variables and structs. then functional implementation. then functions with parameters. maybe bitwise operations. then arrays and pointers. and THEN you can start to polish the sh*t and start getting into windows gui and graphics libs. maybe at some place you could try to start with some clean classes.

what you are mosdef doing is glueing copypaste code together. atleast that's what it looks like.
i like the fact that your trying+^_^+ i believe when you graduate high school that a college environment would be great for you+^_^+ all sorts of peers and instructors to ask question to, plus loads of free college software (well maybe tuition pays for it) +^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
No need to wait for college, just start making sillies right now. You know, simple programs that do simple tasks. First command line stuff, then windowed, then even throw in a nice GUI at it.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]