Need a little clarification on EE/GS/VU percentages
[attachment=29872]

Above is a scene from Tekken 5 on my laptop (i7 2630qm + 525m). When either EE, GS, or VU is at 100% that means the CPU is pushed to the limit right?

Below is the same scene on my desktop (i7 920 + 6850), same settings and plugins, but none of the percentages are maxed out. So that means the GPU is holding back the CPU?

[attachment=29871]

In another scene below both EE's are maxed out (but the VU is maxed out only on the laptop)

[attachment=29873]

[attachment=29874]

Sponsored links

If any of the 3 percentages is 98 or 99 etc, they are the threads holding your game back. If none of them are and it's running slowly, something outside of those threads is an issue. Could be the sound plugin, graphics driver or physical hardware. Best way to find out is to monitor CPU usage and gpu usage with a program like gpu-z
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

first you have a mobile processor with a mobile grahics card and second a 9-series both i7. The EE is dependant on the CPU threads. EE strecthed out to max means that the threads of pcsx2 are strecthed to the max. When i get around 90-90% EE , my CPU reads to 50 - 52% Only.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
(09-13-2011, 06:20 PM)refraction Wrote: If any of the 3 percentages is 98 or 99 etc, they are the threads holding your game back. If none of them are and it's running slowly, something outside of those threads is an issue. Could be the sound plugin, graphics driver or physical hardware. Best way to find out is to monitor CPU usage and gpu usage with a program like gpu-z

Actually I recall ShadowLady reporting that when none are high it's the GS. Not sure about it but I guess she has looked into it to say so Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Yeah, something to the effect of the GS thread having some trouble and moving slow, that can cause the other threads to become bottlenecked. If the GS doesn't keep it's workload flowing, the other threads may have to stop and wait for it (or something from it), and would definitely not be at 100%.

It's funny; Because you could see the % maxed out as an indication that it's where your bottleneck is, but it also may not be. Likewise, it being lower could indicate that it's not "pushin' at full force", and is again, where you bottleneck is (or not). That bottleneck could be a cause of insufficient hardware, but may also just be an issue with what the given game does (or tries to do) with a particular thread otherwise.

The percentages are not necessarily a complete indication of "what the hold up is", but merely are displaying what's going on with each thread in terms of activity. They can make the problem very clear, but may also raise more questions.
(09-13-2011, 07:03 PM)Bositman Wrote: Actually I recall ShadowLady reporting that when none are high it's the GS. Not sure about it but I guess she has looked into it to say so Tongue

It can be yes but generally it means non main pcsx2 stuff is being consuming. In the can you mean, the gs was probably freaking the drivers out and sticking there.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Could be multiple things, the graphics card, maybe the PCIe bus, some other background stuff taking CPU time, GS, perhaps some driver setting too. In some of the early newgif commits there were some games that would be slower and with that symptom too but I think that one is fixed now Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
One important notion to be observed is those aren't direct indicator of CPU load, is more like the amount of "available" CPU power is being used. This can lead to high readings and yet an external CPU load monitor showing the actual load is low. Windows power saving feature associated with CPU turbo features (mainly on laptops) can cause that strange behavior and many times is enough to put windows in "performance mode" at the Control Panel > Power Options to minimize the effects and enhance the emulator's general performance (do not forget to return the previous power plan after the gaming session when running on laptops).
Imagination is where we are truly real
When none are high and it's crawling it's usually that you're internal res is set too high in my experience
(09-14-2011, 09:25 AM)dralor Wrote: When none are high and it's crawling it's usually that you're internal res is set too high in my experience

sorry for the necro (used search), does that mean it is always better to use Native for internal res?
[Image: specifications.jpg]