Need configuration help
Hello, I'm a bit of a newbie at this so please bear with me. I have Windows XP with latest version of directx, 2 gigs of RAM, 3.4 Ghz processor, and raedon x800 pro 256 mb video card. When I run the game, it loads O.K. with normal fps (~60) but when I start playing I go down to 5 fps! What's going on here, there's obviously some sort of configuration problem on my end, because I'm trying to play a game made back in 2000, it shouldn't be that demanding for specs. Is there anything critical I should be doing? I tried default configurations and trying fooling around with different configurations and also using the speed hacks, nothing works. Is it really my pc?

Sponsored links

Depends on the game and on what kind of processor you have. 3,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo is like 3x faster than a 3,4 Ghz Pentium 4...
And the game being released in 2000 has nothing to do with this, see this link that explains that:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2330.html
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(07-02-2009, 12:14 AM)Bositman Wrote: Depends on the game and on what kind of processor you have. 3,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo is like 3x faster than a 3,4 Ghz Pentium 4...
And the game being released in 2000 has nothing to do with this, see this link that explains that:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2330.html

Well I do in fact have a P4 processor, but it still is 2 CPU. If it helps, the game is called Eternal Ring. It's made by Agetec+From Software, from the creators of King's Field and Shadow Tower. The reason why I said it was made in 2000 because I wanted to indicate that is is a very old game, and it's not like I'm trying to run a really new game like Shadow of the Colossus or something like that where I should expect a big slowdown if my computer is too lowgrade for ps2 emulation.
Well as I said Pentium 4s are pretty low end for PCSX2. And it is NOT 2 cores,it is one core with hyperthreading,creating a virtual second core which is of course way slower than having 2 real cores.
Still,5 FPS is way too slow even for this system,so go ahead and post all plugins you're using,their settings and your PCSX2 settings (especially cpu and speed hacks)
(07-02-2009, 12:51 AM)Bositman Wrote: Well as I said Pentium 4s are pretty low end for PCSX2. And it is NOT 2 cores,it is one core with hyperthreading,creating a virtual second core which is of course way slower than having 2 real cores.
Still,5 FPS is way too slow even for this system,so go ahead and post all plugins you're using,their settings and your PCSX2 settings (especially cpu and speed hacks)

I assume this is the information you are in search of.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7969/info1.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4975/plugins1.jpg
Yep that was it. Not much you can do there I'm afraid your settings are not that bad. Unfortunately you not having a DX10 capable gfx card and vista/win 7 is preventing you from using the DX10 mode of GSdx which is that much faster. Try setting GSdx to pixel shader 3 and interlacing to none.
For a better speed boost,use the latest PCSX2 beta and take advantage of the new VU Cycle hack. That's all you can do except from buying a new PC....
(07-02-2009, 01:54 AM)Bositman Wrote: Yep that was it. Not much you can do there I'm afraid your settings are not that bad. Unfortunately you not having a DX10 capable gfx card and vista/win 7 is preventing you from using the DX10 mode of GSdx which is that much faster. Try setting GSdx to pixel shader 3 and interlacing to none.
For a better speed boost,use the latest PCSX2 beta and take advantage of the new VU Cycle hack. That's all you can do except from buying a new PC....

Alright, ill give it a shot. But I looks like I'll probably need to get a new pc ;/
Yeah,it looks like you picked some pretty demanding game. Some other games like Kingdom Hearts,Disagea,Phantom Brave (2D ones) will work quite better though