Need emulation-ready CPU advice
I will with time. Wink So by what you're saying, RAM speed does matter huh?

Sponsored links

well yes, as there is a lot of data swapping between memory when using the emulator, so its advised to have quick ram.

Wish RPGWizard had done a test back in the day when he was doing his "CPU Benchmarks" and "GPU Benchmarks" on PCSX2, cos it does make a difference.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

the ammount plays a role too, reguardless of what some say
the amount does, if your operating system is hogging it all, you will notice a speed penalty Tongue2 however if you have 1gb free or 500mb free, you are usually ok
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

true to a point, even with 4gb I seem to have some trouble. Vista hogs way too damn much Angry XP was so much better at handling the memory. so yea..

Vista: as much as you can (uses 1-1.5gb automatically)
XP: 2gb should do it (uses 128mb, 256 tops)
I've found pcsx2 to not be too much of a RAM hog.

It normally hangs around 200-250mb when playing Kingdom Hearts 2
for me it takes up about 1gb I think, I'll have to doublecheck that. XP or Vista though?
XP. I would give a task manager screeny while ingame but I'm trying to rip a disc atm
ram usage seems to stay between 400 and 500 mb for me (vista x64)
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
If it's amounts, I have it. 4 gigabytes of it. Tongue Vista was usually fine with 2GB but x64 bit uses somewhat more because it runs instances of some both 32 and 64 bit services. 3GB should be fine for high end gaming, 4GB if you're really hungry. Is there any benchmark tests on whose results I can look up?

And Vista regardless of bitrate or RAM has always stayed around 50% RAM when idle for me. When there is RAM available, it WILL move as much as it can into it. It's now using 2GB of it just with the messengers and browser open. It's a good thing. Smile RAM is a high-speed power-eating resource, and it would just be consuming electricity while bringing the user no visible speed benefit if it just stayed unexploited to the max.

XP just doesn't make use of it in the same way, if it DID move all of its resources into RAM when faced with copious free amounts of it like 2GB, I'm sure you'd be surprised how much of it it can fill with only its services and resources. Smile