Need help with choosing processor
Most of all i want to know what there will be average gain FPS in games if to compare processors Intel and AMD with identical frequency, for example 3.0 GHz? It is how much known at processors Intel E8xxx series of 6 Mb cash, at Athlon 6000 + have 2 Mb. Whether will strongly affect cash memory general average FPS in game?
Now I have processor Athlon of 2.6 GHz, whether so it is necessary to change mobo and to pass to platform Intel or will enough be limited with Athlon 6000 + and overclock it.
Phenom 1055T x6 3.5GHz ; nVidia GTS 250; 6Gb RAM; Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

Overclocking an Athlon wouldn't be worth it. Trust me, I have the same processor as you do now, and looking at the info I've seen, going Intel is really the best way to go for PCSX2.

Take a look at benchmarks on sites like Tom's Hardware, and you'll see that even the highest Athlons just can't compete. Not to mention, they don't have any where near the overclocking capabilities of the E0 E8400. (A Processor just under 200$, though you might need a different motherboard too)

Athlon's are cheap, and are enough for most normal people in normal PC games. However, PCSX2 requires quite a bit more CPU power to run a lot of games decently.

So take a look into processors like the E8400. Though, don't waste your money on a Quad core and hope for better frames. Quad cores arn't utilized by PCSX2 yet.
I'm also thinking about changing processor but not only for pcsx2.
I have amd x2 4000+ , and when I OE it to 2.6 GHz I see pretty nice difference.
Now I have 2 options:
- phenom x9850 BE
- or intel q6600 or q9300 but for intel I will need new mobo and this all is quite expensive
I know that intel is better but what do you think about this phenom ?
--------------
And for you ...did u tried to OE your cpu ?:>
(01-03-2009, 10:24 PM)xmarkox Wrote: I'm also thinking about changing processor but not only for pcsx2.
I have amd x2 4000+ , and when I OE it to 2.6 GHz I see pretty nice difference.
Now I have 2 options:
- phenom x9850 BE
- or intel q6600 or q9300 but for intel I will need new mobo and this all is quite expensive
I know that intel is better but what do you think about this phenom ?
--------------
And for you ...did u tried to OE your cpu ?:>

Again, getting a quadcore might not be worth it on the PCSX2 side, and the general gaming side either. I don't know a lot of games that take advantage of all 4 cores, so it might just be cheaper to go with a better Intel Dual Core.

Then again, I've never used a quadcore, so if that's what you're going for give it a shot. I mean, I see a lot of people here with Quadcores that play PCSX2 with them fine - Just don't expect more from a Quadcore just because it's a quadcore - at least not from PCSX2.

And I guess I lied when I said I have the same processor as you - I misread you saying that yours was overclocked to 2.6. Mine's 2.6 out of the box, and I've never had a successful overclocking experience with it.

Anyway, for NORMAL games, the processor isn't really as huge of a deal. Granted it's still important, it's not nearly as integral as it is for PCSX2.
If possible, can someone test ingame FPS on Intel C2D 2.6 GGz, for example in FFX in title screen or another popular game without frame limiting? After that i will run the game with same Pcsx2 settings and see how much Intels cpu faster then AMD with same frequency.
(01-04-2009, 02:06 AM)Summoner Wrote: If possible, can someone test ingame FPS on Intel C2D 2.6 GGz, for example in FFX in title screen or another popular game without frame limiting? After that i will run the game with same Pcsx2 settings and see how much Intels cpu faster then AMD with same frequency.

It's not worth testing, because it's a fact.

I wouldn't be telling you to get an Intel 3.0 Ghz processor that's 3 times the price of an AMD 3.0 Ghz if they had little separating them or performed the same.

And once you get into Quadcores, you won't even get any extra performance from it anyway. Both choices are less then adequate, really, though better then the thing you got now. Just don't expect any miracles in your frame rate.

I personally love AMD, but I know I can' do jack in PCSX2 with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hadOWJgh0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPA2oYIznQ
I found only this two
Thanks for all^^ Downloaded same rev he used and tested on my processor. Difference between Intel vs AMD with same frequency was 4-5 fps in most scenes.
I need some help. Very soon i`ll go and bue a new CPU. I thinking about AMD Athlon x2 64 3.2GHz or C2D 8500 3.2 GHz.? Can someone compare how much faster (in fps) will be Intel 3.2 vs AMD 3.2 in game, for example, in FFX? If ingame fps really will be only 5-7 fps faster on C2D, there no reason change mobo and get C2D.
get the 8500 if you're willing to spend that much summoner, you can easily overclock that cpu to 4.2ghz and it'll pretty much own the amd cpu not really sure about fps on each processor though.i'm guessing that fps depends on the graphics card though.since pcsx2 uses only two cores the e8500 is the second best dual core you could get besides the e8600