Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Era Of CPU's And NextGen Consoles Emulation !
Information 
Hey There !

A
s some people in the pcsx2 forums answered my questions about emulation before .. they might know that emulation is something i am interested at Happy

i have a question !!
after seeing the advertisment of core i7 extreme
Hexa-core Cpu , with 12 threads , up to 3.66GHZ without overclocking " with TurboBoost "
i wonder Ninja if this cpu " maybe after 3 years "
has become cheaper and more available , would it be a chance to encourage coders to emulate a high-end Console like Xbox360 ? Blink

Sponsored links

Well personally i dont think even a Hexa-Core CPU would be enough to emulate an XBOX360
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
Even if you had 24 cores, all clocked at 20Ghz, it wouldn't help a single bit at writing those ~300.000
lines of code that make up such an emulator. Most of which need a lot of reverse engineering to be possible.
To be honest I think the top emulator we'll be seeing is Pcsx2, for a long time. It took 10 years for Pcsx2 to get where it is, imagine an emulator for 360 os PS3. It looks something impossible to achieve.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

Short answer: No. Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Faster hardware does not equal new emulators. What does is a bunch of hard work. The xbox 360 could theoretically be emulated on ANY computer, granted that computer has certain instructions and capabilities (which, truly, is a pretty small number, since you can technically emulate anything with a WHOLE lot of bitwise operations and jumps). Would it be fast? no. practical? no. Besides, what matters is the development process. Your 12 thread processors and 5970s wont help that.
Pssh who needs bitwise operations when you only have one instruction. It's been proven equivalent to a universal computer as well, so it's literally the simplest computer you could ever conceive.

It's also technically capable of running PCSX2 Laugh

Computer questions get a whole lot harder to answer when you realize the answer usually is "everything is technically possible, so yes". It's like making the jump from classical Newtonian physics to quantum mechanics; you have to throw away all those pesky ideas such as 'right' and 'wrong' and learn to live with 'sometimes, maybe, kinda'.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Awesome Tongue2
In theory a 6-core processor would be a good fit for XBox 360 emulation, the 360 is a tri-core PowerPC in-order design with SMT, so 6 threads at 3.2GHz. In terms of raw integer throughput you're probably looking at 2-3x faster? Probably not enough to get it running at a decent speed.

On the graphics side I actually did a comparison between the Radeon HD 5570 and the XBox 360 GPU in a recent article for a site I have (http://www.mce-pro.co.uk/articles/sapphi...ng-device/).

Really though the hardware itself is going to be less of an issue, PowerPC emulation is something that's been done before with less complex CPU designs, but its the operating system that could prove the sticking point. Even the original XBox has barely been emulated thus far and its little more than a cut down PC (Intel Pentium 3 derived processor, NVIDIA chipset) with a striped down Windows 2000 in the background.

Consoles like the 360 and PS3 have much more in the way of interdependencies between the OS and the game itself.

That combined with the sheer amount of time required on behalf of the developers makes it a mammoth task.
(04-14-2010, 10:53 AM)Thorburn Wrote: In theory a 6-core processor would be a good fit for XBox 360 emulation, the 360 is a tri-core PowerPC in-order design with SMT, so 6 threads at 3.2GHz. In terms of raw integer throughput you're probably looking at 2-3x faster? Probably not enough to get it running at a decent speed.

On the graphics side I actually did a comparison between the Radeon HD 5570 and the XBox 360 GPU in a recent article for a site I have (http://www.mce-pro.co.uk/articles/sapphi...ng-device/).

Really though the hardware itself is going to be less of an issue, PowerPC emulation is something that's been done before with less complex CPU designs, but its the operating system that could prove the sticking point. Even the original XBox has barely been emulated thus far and its little more than a cut down PC (Intel Pentium 3 derived processor, NVIDIA chipset) with a striped down Windows 2000 in the background.

Consoles like the 360 and PS3 have much more in the way of interdependencies between the OS and the game itself.

That combined with the sheer amount of time required on behalf of the developers makes it a mammoth task.

Nice article, but you messed up on the specs of the Xbox 360 Xenos. It has 240GFLOPs of performance, not 48GFlops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29
(04-14-2010, 02:29 PM)bkwegoharder Wrote: Nice article, but you messed up on the specs of the Xbox 360 Xenos. It has 240GFLOPs of performance, not 48GFlops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

Yes looks like you're right, I must have made a mistake when I was filling in the tables as 48 is the shader count, not the GFLOPS.