New Laptop and User
I just got a new laptop (HP Envy 14 2160-SE, Beats Edition) and was wanting to run this emulator. I know laptops aren't exactly ideal for these things but I believe my CPU and RAM is adequate, and more importantly, my GPU isn't the crappy integrated one.

CPU: i5 2430M @ 2.40 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
GPU: Radeon HD 6630M

I would just like to know if I even have a chance of running games at a decent FPS. It doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to run well. If I do have a chance of doing so, could someone perhaps redirect me to the optimal plugins and settings? Thank you.

Sponsored links

which games do you actually have ?
according to this thread : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Wi...y-computer you will have a hard time to run intensive ones, but some of the "light" ones should do good, especially if you use latest SVN and the MTVU hack.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I guess I should've listed the games I was hoping to run:

Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean 3
Final Fantasy 12
Shadow Hearts

Can't think of anymore at the top of my head ATM
rogue Galaxy-> will be quite slow
Star Ocean 3-> will be very slow
FF12 should be playable even if you don't get full speed
Dunno about shadow hearts
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
RG,FF12 and SH i think those 3 enough run this laptop.
unfortunately SO3 is a "Megathurst" demanding and defeats your laptop you need to run it on a desktop or on your PS2 otherwise your laptop will fry is just a few minutes.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
There will be playable games for sure, your notebook is very identical to mine on performance, mine has the A8-3500M (@2.4GHz 4 core load) and HD 6650M. Just that your GPU may be more of a limitation cause of its quite a bit slower core/mem speeds below the 6650M & CPU is <3% of mine. You're going to want to use GSdx DX 11 hardware with native resolution checked, and the MTVU speedhack checked and optionally trying the other speedhacks that say "recommended" below them if they don't break your game they will help. If you are to use software mode I recommend 3 threads if MTVU is off and 2 threads if MTVU is on. For example if you have Rumble Racing I can straight up say you should have full speed on that game.

(01-13-2012, 02:22 AM)tallbender Wrote: unfortunately SO3 is a "Megathurst" demanding and defeats your laptop you need to run it on a desktop or on your PS2 otherwise your laptop will fry is just a few minutes.

Oh come on now...

On my laptop:

PCSX2 all cores loaded -> 67c
Linpack -> 78c
Prime95 -> 79c

On my desktop:

PCSX2 all cores loaded -> 63c
Linpack -> 78c
Prime95 -> 76c
-Core i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz
-GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 5
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 14-13-13-30-1T
-EVGA GTX 970 4GB @ 1380/1853 MHz
-Crucial MX100 512GB, Silicon Power S60 120GB, Toshiba 2TB 7200 RPM
-PC P & C Silencer 750 Quad
-Windows 7 x64

-----

-Core i7 4710MQ
-16GB DDR3 1866
-GTX 965M 4GB @ 1127/1353 MHz
-Mushkin ECO2 240GB, HGST 1TB 7200 RPM
-Windows 7 x64
That i5-2430M is a pretty decent processor, and certainly is going to emulate faster than a Llano @ 2.4Ghz. It's more likely to compare with a Phenom II @ over 3.0Ghz. And that's assuming no Turbo Boost, which could net it another 300Mhz.

The GPU is decent, and should handle most games at low internal resolution. Don't be surprised if it is the culprit of some slow-down in few occasions.

Change the following settings from default:
  • Switch the GS plugin to the SSE41 one.
  • In the GS plugin settings, change the renderer to Direct3D11 (Hardware), and check the native box.
Those are the only initial changes you should make. You should see how the particular game is handled by your system at that. If you need more speed, begin applying Speedhacks as needed.

You may want to consider trying without the MTVU hack (only available in recent SVNs). The use of it will probably ensure you never get the 300Mhz Turbo Boost. You may want to watch your CPU clock and see what it does when emulating in the first place, though. If it stays at 2.4Ghz (meaning PCSX2's load is using more than 2 threads), your only recourse may be the use of processor affinity (in Task Manager), disabling Hyper-threading entirely (an option in your PC's BIOS), or just go with it and use MTVU when it helps.

And for what it's worth-- Those games actually do stand some chance for playability, or even good speed through the aid of Speedhacks. Many games do, really. Although, there are games that you just won't be able to get enough speed out of. Utilize what you can to try and get the most out of it when you need to (like disabling HT to use MTVU while Turbo Boosting).
Thank you so much for all the replies guys, and so quickly too. I'm not surprised that there are some discrepancies about how it SHOULD work. Obviously every rig is going to differ and the only way to find out is through trial and error it seems. I just wanted to know if I could run at some games at normal FPS so I wouldn't have to waste my time even trying.

I plan on running it by ISO and not through discs as my discs have seen to worn out. I will make sure to get those plugins and see how well it does once I tamper around.

(01-13-2012, 07:15 AM)Rezard Wrote: You may want to watch your CPU clock and see what it does when emulating in the first place, though. If it stays at 2.4Ghz (meaning PCSX2's load is using more than 2 threads), your only recourse may be the use of processor affinity (in Task Manager), disabling Hyper-threading entirely (an option in your PC's BIOS), or just go with it and use MTVU when it helps.

Are you saying watch my CPU clock and make those changes to help it run better or to prevent my CPU from frying? I really don't want to try to use PCSX2 if there's a chance of accidentally messing up my CPU or GPU because I pushed it too hard.

I am not suggesting you do anything your hardware wasn't made to do.
Assuming there's no flaw in your hardware to begin with, PCSX2 will not be frying it. Smile

I'm suggesting you monitor you CPU clockrate when emulating (use a program like CPU-Z).
Your processor starts at 2.4Ghz as a dual core with Hyper-threading (four threads total).
If an application only uses 2 threads with a heavy load,
it may disable the 2 additional threads from Hyper-Threading,
allowing it to Turbo Boost @ 2.7Ghz on just the 2 cores needed.
With my experience of playing SO3, I have no idea why people saying it'll be uber slow. I played it through on underclocked AMD cpu running at 2.3ghz and it was at full speed or around with help of slider(non-recommended) speedhacks even before MTvu speedhack times, yeah they they can brake timings of the cutscenes, and freeze at longer cutscenes, but the speed of the gameplay with the active fighting system of this game is much more important than a bit laggy cutscenes, especially that i5 is surely much more powerfull per clock than my athlon II and it shouldn't be soo laggy at all, if it get's into that turbo it has, it could probably run it at full speed with just light EE cyclerate speedhack which is fairy safe. Vu cycle stealing will mess alot more often, but both of those speedhacks doesn't brake anything outside of the cutscenes at all. Also most shorter cutscenes will be glitchless, the medium ones will have broken timings, but you can fix it by turning those speedhacks off when the cutscene starts, and like one or two longest cutscenes will freeze and require a reload of pre-cutscene savegame without those speedhacks, it's not soo troublesome as it feels, just save with both savestates and normally to be safe.

Just make sure to check your windows power settings, if you didn't mess with them yet, as by default it's into power saving modes on laptops and it will be slow with all games like that.;]