Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PC Specifications
Hi there,

I'm buying a new pc to use as a media centre on my hd tv, thought having a PS2 Emulator set up on it would complete the experience.

Below are a list of the specifications, I am doubtful as to whether they are likely to be good enough as the PC is only a nettop, but I figured it was worth a try.

I think the onboard graphics particularly will be a problem, would it be possible to get an external card of some kind which might help support it better?

Additionally I will be upgrading the ram from 2gb to 4gb if this makes any difference.

I realise there is a thread listing the suggested specifications however couldn't find specific information on the atom processor.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Quote:Processor: Intel Atom 330 1.6 GHz 1MB (L2 Cache) (L3 Cache)
CPU Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Package: Micro-FCBGA
Chipset: nVidia ION
Processors: 1
PCI Express Slot: 1x Mini PCI Express
Hard Disk Interface: SATA
Integrated Network: Yes
Integrated WLAN: Yes
Integrated Sound: Yes
Integrated VGA: Yes
Memory: 2 Gb SDRAM
Hard Disk: 250 Gb
Interfaces/Ports: VGA, HDMI, 6x USB 2.0, eSATA, RJ-45, S/PDIF (Optical), Hi Definition Headphone, Microphone In
Sound: 7.1 High Definition Audio
Sound Card Interface: Integrated
Wired Network Interface: Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Integrated
Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Graphics: Integrated into Chipset
Certifications: PC 2001, Energy Star 5.0, FCC, CE, BSMI, CCC, C-Tick, ETL, Nemko (CB and Bauart)
Software Included: Microsoft Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft Works 8.5, Oberon GameZone, eSobi, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2009 (Trial), Adobe Reader, Acer Arcade Deluxe, Acer eRecovery Management, MyWinLocker, Nero 9 Essentials
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Electrical Power Available: 65 W
Form Factor: Desktop Unit
Dimensions (WxDxH): 30 x 180 x 180 mm

Sponsored links

You might be able to run games like Disgea and other 2d RPGS. The biggest issue is the CPU. The emulator usually requires 3.0ghz at a MINIMUM to run most games. As well your onboard GPU is weak and I'm about 99.99% sure that no one makes an external GPU. And even just for a media PC, a netbook is going to be pretty slow. Those guys are really just meant for surfing the internet. As its name suggests.
[Image: signature.jpg]
Seriously, don't bother with PCSX2 on the Atom. It's not going to be pretty. The integrated ION GPU is actually overpowered compared to the weak Atom CPU.

I also have an Atom/ION HTPC and it barely does any post-processing on ePSXe. Unless you're fine running at 5FPS or so, I'd say forget it.
Cheers for the help guys. I figured it would probably be lost cause.

Was planning on getting the Acer Aspire Revo, it can stream videos in HD. But now considering just buying a new PC instead to get something up to speed. Any suggestions of anything small which could still be used as a HTPC.

Quote:I also have an Atom/ION HTPC and it barely does any post-processing on ePSXe. Unless you're fine running at 5FPS or so, I'd say forget it.

Sorry let me correctly understand what you're saying? Will your PC with an Atom processor not run ePSXe either?
(10-07-2010, 12:37 AM)trendy Wrote: Sorry let me correctly understand what you're saying? Will your PC with an Atom processor not run ePSXe either?

It does but with almost zero post-processing so the image quality is pretty bad especially when playing on a 50" HDTV.

As for mini-computers, how small of a form factor do you want and what's your budget? Also, what duties should the HTPC be able to perform?

Btw, this should be in the hardware forum.
I suppose you'll get about 15 fps or lower in most 3D games.
Make a small m-atx mediabox with an athlon II x2 and a 4650 if you want it cheap and still be able to run games on it.
It will perform a lot better.
Add something like an H50 (small and almost no sound) later on if you wish to overclock and get more performance out of it.
Note that an H50 is pretty expensive.
They are perfect for m-atx though.
[Image: 1454055.png]
(10-07-2010, 10:51 AM)ChronicNL Wrote: Make a small m-atx mediabox with an athlon II x2 and a 4650 if you want it cheap and still be able to run games on it.
It will perform a lot better.
Add something like an H50 (small and almost no sound) later on if you wish to overclock and get more performance out of it.
Note that an H50 is pretty expensive.
They are perfect for m-atx though.

I agree with you. I think even a Dual core processor would work with atleast a Video card worth 80 $. You will get Decent FPS.
[Image: wipe_b10.gif]