Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PC, What do you think.
I'm running on a Q8300 2.5 Ghz Processor with a 250 GTS Nvidia Card

I was looking at getting a i7 870 with the Turbo boost and a 460GTX Nvidia Card.

My question is, will the Turbo Boost on the I7 kick in with PCSX2 or should i get a more overclock friendly CPU and work up from there?
(Probably should say this now, i'm also building this computer around FFXIV which is system hog.)
[Image: pm1mbi-2.png]

Sponsored links

All the i7 kick ass in stock speed, the overclocking is just an extra. I've seen people with their i7 870 at 4Ghz and no problems in any game Blink
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
All I can say is it's probably good to wait. January (CES) is just around the corner and by then, you'll get i7-870 performance at i5-750/760 pricing.
Here are the parts i'm looking at getting my hands on.

# CAS: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
# CASUPGRADE: None
# CD: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo [+64] (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: None
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-875K 2.93 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA 1156 [+144]
# CS_FAN: Default case fans
# FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
# FLASHMEDIA: None
# HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+22] (Single Hard Drive)
# KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
# MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+94] (Corsair or Major Brand)
# MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] EVGA P55 TR Intel P55V Chipset DDR3 Socket 1156 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, & 2 PCIe X1 [+1]
# MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
# MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
# NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
# OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
# POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+63]
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+98] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+21])
# VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+175] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
# _PRICE: (+1405)

Price may vary i'm gonna look around and see some good varriants for prices on the parts so i'm looking probably roughly about that.

Thoughts?
[Image: pm1mbi-2.png]
Hi,

Always nice to buy a new system. This looks like a good system but maybe you could spend your money a little different so you can have better performance in games. (even better lol because this system will already crunch everything)

Your processor is overkill the cheaper i5 750, or 760 will be all processing power you'll ever need.
You can even overclock the i5-760 easily surpassing the stock clock rate of the Core i7-980X Extreme Edition.
Buying a more expensive processor than the i5-760 is past the point of reason.

What are you going to do with 8 gb of ram. 6gb should be more than enough.

# OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19] You are paying money for that!!!!!!

you do realize two gtx 460 will use more power than two hd 6870 . The 6870 is three db higher though. . The 5850 cost only 20 or 30$ more and is more quiet than the gtx 460 an have a little bit more performance and uses a lot less power (you could use that money you saved on the cpu/ram/o'clock). Do not buy gtx 470's or 480 because you will curse yourself for buying vacuum cleaners.

The gtx 460 is a good card though , especially compared to the 470 and 480 which are way too noisy. The 460 does uses more power in comparision to it's ati adversaries. So if you do want nvidia this is actually a good choice but why not buy at gtx 580. It will outperform the two 460 and the gtx 580 is remarkably quiet. Power usage will be a little more though, the price too but i think around 120$. Your psu should be able to handle it.

But if it was me who's spending all that money i would go for two 5870 's. But it would cost you a little more , how much, depends how much you save on cpu/ram/oc and prices nowadays. Up to you to do the math. I don't think anyone will have a better system though

I3 530@2.93 ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
ati hd 5770

Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils.
(11-19-2010, 01:04 AM)Flokk Wrote: I'm running on a Q8300 2.5 Ghz Processor with a 250 GTS Nvidia Card

I was looking at getting a i7 870 with the Turbo boost and a 460GTX Nvidia Card.

My question is, will the Turbo Boost on the I7 kick in with PCSX2 or should i get a more overclock friendly CPU and work up from there?
(Probably should say this now, i'm also building this computer around FFXIV which is system hog.)

pretty good for pc gaming but you may want too over clock too about 2.7 -2.8ghz for pcsx2

wait nev mind read wrong post lol

yeah kicks ass

how many frames are you getting?
and can you play with out any speed hacks?
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
Seriously, wait until January and get a P67+Core i5-2500K/Core i7-2600K instead. You'll be paying the same price (less if you go Core i5) but you'll probably get around 15~20% better performance. As others have mentioned, go with a better PSU. For your build (2x GTX 460), even a Corsair 650TX is probably fine.

@evildead789
LGA-1156/1155 doesn't support triple channel. It's better to get 2x4GB or 4x2GB for those systems.
(12-08-2010, 01:20 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: Seriously, wait until January and get a P67+Core i5-2500K/Core i7-2600K instead. You'll be paying the same price (less if you go Core i5) but you'll probably get around 15~20% better performance. As others have mentioned, go with a better PSU. For your build (2x GTX 460), even a Corsair 650TX is probably fine.

@evildead789
LGA-1156/1155 doesn't support triple channel. It's better to get 2x4GB or 4x2GB for those systems.
Thing is , most ppl can't waitTongue

I say 4GB RAM is more than enough for gaming.
What is XtremeGear? Never heard of them. Gaming mouses and stuff are bloat, they don't help much really. (coming from a guy who owns G110 and Razer Lanchesis)
I would check to see if the radiator fits inside that midtower, some midtower have no room at all.

The psu needs to be a 750w, corsair TX750 Recommended. I don't know what kind of brand XtremeGear is, probably not so reliable.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
That "watercooling" unit is an all-in-one similar to the Corsair H50/H70. No need to worry about getting it to fit particularly since his system will likely be pre-built (CyberPower or iBuyPower). 750W isn't really necessary for his build. Power consumption of the configuration he's asking about would probably be around 400~500W full load and significantly less at idle.

Right now, unless you don't have a PC you can use, it's kinda stupid not to wait. It's just a month until Sandy Bridge and with the amount he's spending on the PC, it seems a bit of a waste to have it superseded in a span of 30 days. If he were buying this earlier (say before November), I'd say go for it, no question. Now that we're so close to Sandy Bridge launch, it's more prudent to wait.
(12-08-2010, 06:23 PM)ilovejedd Wrote: That "watercooling" unit is an all-in-one similar to the Corsair H50/H70. No need to worry about getting it to fit particularly since his system will likely be pre-built (CyberPower or iBuyPower). 750W isn't really necessary for his build. Power consumption of the configuration he's asking about would probably be around 400~500W full load and significantly less at idle.

Right now, unless you don't have a PC you can use, it's kinda stupid not to wait. It's just a month until Sandy Bridge and with the amount he's spending on the PC, it seems a bit of a waste to have it superseded in a span of 30 days. If he were buying this earlier (say before November), I'd say go for it, no question. Now that we're so close to Sandy Bridge launch, it's more prudent to wait.
Wasn't looking at what kind of WC unit it was=o Yeah, they'll probably fit the radiator over the rear exhaust. As to waiting or not, it is still entirely up to him. I would've waited for GTX 580 if it were to comeout in September, but since it didn't I went and got GTX 480 in July.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24