New User and Specs?
Exclamation 
Howdy,

So my PS2 fat from like....2001 or something finally died. It still works but it sounds like it's trying to eat my discs, chugging along and making a clunking noise. My discs are in perfect shape, I am a collector that uses gloves when handling them and protective sleeves. So it's not my discs, I have thoroughly inspected them....with ultraviolet light aswell and checked for fingerprints and the likes. And sanitized them and let them dry on microfiber clothes.....They are not damaged and the PS2 will not read from them. So I decided to give this a try, back in 2008 when I last checked this couldn't play a single game I owned. Anyways will I be able to run the following games (decently) with the following equipment?

Name: ORPHAN
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Display Memory: 4851 MB
Razer Lycosa, Razer Naga, Turtle Beach P11s, PS3 controller connected with MotionJoy and BetterMotionJoy controller, with Bluetooth Dongle-Microsoft Make

I also have coolant tubes, 6 fans, UPS, and raid formation HDDs, 4TBs in total arranged into pairs, 2 redundant pairs crossed with another 2 for quick read and data assurance/accuracy.

What settings should I use? I normally run Dolphin fullscreen windowed max res, I use a 1080p 60 inch telly....

Thanks!
XieXie~

Also, games I intend to play are attached in a file photo. And I shall list here~

.Hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine
.Hack//GU Rebirth, Reminisce, and Retribution
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Star Ocean Till the End of Time
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Xenosaga I, II, and III
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Fatal Frame 1, 2, and 3
Onimusha series
Ratchet and Clank series
Jak and Daxter series

Some of these are in the mail, and getting sent from my brother. I snatched my BIOS from the Fat Bastard...I mean Fat PS2. I also ripped these ones to ISO, but they say read only in file properties? Is this acceptable? I used IMGBURN.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 7,38 KB / Downloads: 323)

Sponsored links

You might need to overclock your CPU a bit for some games (SoTC).

FF games, KH games should be fine on that rig.

Ratchet and Clank needs software mode and may struggle.

Jak series may struggle as well.

Xenosaga may struggle. My FX6300 @ 4.12 had a few spots of serious slowdown with that, but overall playable.

The rest I'm not familiar with how they run on PCSX2, but you can just try.

No, read only won't matter.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Ratchet and Clank is out, I'm afraid. Because of the way the game was programmed, it can't be played with any of the current GPU plugins without tons of visual bugs, and the fix for this would require completely recoding the GPU plugin, so is a low priority issue. Instead you have to play using software rendering - all the work being done on the CPU. I have the exact same CPU as you, overclocked to 3.5Ghz and it struggles to maintain the 50fps required for my PAL copy, so hitting your 60fps on your NRSC copy will be even harder.
I just ordered a new SLIM through Ebay, 60 bucks compared to like....The required 600 I'd need in upgrades to EMULATE XD So absurd, and I thought my machine wasn't complete *****.
(12-23-2013, 02:39 AM)Electro057 Wrote: I just ordered a new SLIM through Ebay, 60 bucks compared to like....The required 600 I'd need in upgrades to EMULATE XD So absurd, and I thought my machine wasn't complete *****.

Your machine isn't ***** by any means. It would probably handle emulating any other system up to and including Wii with no problem.

PS2 emulation is a special case. Have a look at my rig in my profile. In a nutshell:

AMD FX 6300 hex core @ 4.12ghz
Radeon HD 7870
8GB ram

There are still games that struggle to maintain fullspeed with that rig. PS2 emulation is just really demanding.

(12-22-2013, 08:08 PM)Electro057 Wrote: PS3 controller connected with MotionJoy and BetterMotionJoy controller, with Bluetooth Dongle-Microsoft Make

Oh, but we recommend against Motioninjoy here. It's full of spyware and it sucks. Use this for Dual Shock 3 action:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller

It's awesome and spyware free.

Speaking from experience, I use it and it rocks.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-23-2013, 03:24 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Your machine isn't ***** by any means. It would probably handle emulating any other system up to and including Wii with no problem.

PS2 emulation is a special case. Have a look at my rig in my profile. In a nutshell:

AMD FX 6300 hex core @ 4.12ghz
Radeon HD 7870
8GB ram

There are still games that struggle to maintain fullspeed with that rig. PS2 emulation is just really demanding.

Oh, but we recommend against Motioninjoy here. It's full of spyware and it sucks. Use this for Dual Shock 3 action:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller

It's awesome and spyware free.

Speaking from experience, I use it and it rocks.

Yeah, I hate the motionjoy overlay and that's why I downloaded the better motionjoy project. It just LOOKED suspicious if you know what I mean? And you're right actually, I've been able to emulate up to my Gamecube, Wii, and PSX games fine...There was a bit of trouble with PSX games cause they dislike AMD products though. Thanks for that though, I'll use that after I fish all the root kits and viruses the motionjoy installed out of my registry and files. It's just...ugghhh....I wish that PS3 controllers had native support.

And yeah, I just built the thing a year ago...Mostly for rendering and graphical things, so I was like "It SHOULD be able to emulate a PS2 which was BIG FAT VCR from 2001-ish!" <_>;

Is there any real reason that PS2 emulation is so incredibly demanding? I know it wasn't even POSSIBLE in 2008.....I tried and it was just, no games were even working.

By the way so far I was able to play about an hour of the first .Hack GU game without MUCH issue, there seems to be some slowing down and chugging in the middle of battle...But other than that it's fine. And it was fine with Star Ocean actually, or atleast for the first ten or so minutes. I have to work up the gall to play Star Ocean, after it traumatized me with the ending so many years ago.
(12-23-2013, 04:37 AM)Electro057 Wrote: Is there any real reason that PS2 emulation is so incredibly demanding? I know it wasn't even POSSIBLE in 2008.....I tried and it was just, no games were even working.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Why-is-PCSX2-slow
If you could take that Phenom II up to 3.8~4.2ghz (where most Phenom II chips usually top out), you'd be fine for a vast majority of games on this emu.
(12-23-2013, 06:42 AM)NarooN Wrote: If you could take that Phenom II up to 3.8~4.2ghz (where most Phenom II chips usually top out), you'd be fine for a vast majority of games on this emu.

I agree.
(12-23-2013, 04:46 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Why-is-PCSX2-slow

Oh my! That's so interesting! I never knew the PS2 was such a complex machine! I didn't know it was parallel processing and passing jobs to so many different processors! What I find odd is that in many cases I PREFER the Gamecube graphics actually over PS2....And knowing this you'd think the PS2 would have steam rolled both the Xbox and Gamecube. However, it also seems they barely knew how to utilize all the additional features....at least not until late in the consoles lifespan with God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. I remember the last year of highschool/first year of uni the PS2 games suddenly got "pretty".

(12-23-2013, 06:42 AM)NarooN Wrote: If you could take that Phenom II up to 3.8~4.2ghz (where most Phenom II chips usually top out), you'd be fine for a vast majority of games on this emu.

That or I could just upgrade my processor, I've been meaning to for awhile....Is the AMD Bulldozer series any good? Or should I just get an i7 or one of those Zeon server processors? Mainly cause I don't really know how to overclock properly, hence why I never even use my stupid expensive water cooling setup.

P.S. I would also like to say....Rest in Peace Fatass, you were the best console I ever owned and will be sorely missed *snuffles* You big ugly black VCR with googley eyes taped to the top...